Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:33 pm 

Switch to a long Bolt probe on a .177 barrel LW. Now getting a notched feeling on loading pellets, especially wadcutters.
Think it needs to be "Letting", do not know of that is the right word for the meaning.
Removing the barrel and inserting a pellet, it stops at the start of the Rifling and needed an extra push.
Anyway, What size drill bit or reamer is to be used?
And how deep to go?
Would a size 16 drill bit, be the way to go?

Thanking all the machinist and Gear Heads.

Arsenal..
Kraft Marshmallow Pump and Shoot Rifle.
GoodYear Gatling Gun rubber-band shooter.
PEI Potato PCP Rifle.

Glass ..12" Dobsonian Reflector.
Shooting for the Stars.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:58 pm 

Does it prevent you from loading and firing? How does it shoot? I'd cringe at taking a drill bit to open up the throat on a barrel. Nothing wrong with the pellet engraving when you close the bolt.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:07 pm 

Mr. TW.. Loads and fires great and groups "Single Holes at 11 Meters".
Pushing a pellet through, show no signs of any weird markings, just the normal rifling on the head and skirt of the pellet.
Just thought it should be more smoother.

Arsenal..
Kraft Marshmallow Pump and Shoot Rifle.
GoodYear Gatling Gun rubber-band shooter.
PEI Potato PCP Rifle.

Glass ..12" Dobsonian Reflector.
Shooting for the Stars.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:19 pm 

I think the term you are looking for is a "leade" as in taper between the chamber and the rifling.... I use about 2* per side, and I make the chamber length such that the parallel section is about 1/16" past the front of the barrel port, then tapering in at 2* to the rifling.... When you chamber a pellet and then push it back out, the head of the pellet is engraved by the leade or rifling, but the skirt is not.... The chamber diameter should be about 0.001" larger than the head of the pellet, which means it will "size" the skirt slightly, leaving a shiny mark all the way around the skirt but not between the rifling lands on the head.... This insures that the pellet loads perfectly straight into the bore and that the head is started into the rifling before firing....

To accomplish the above, the best way is to make a custom chamber reamer of the profile you want from Drill Rod and then harden and temper it.... and before you ask, no I don't sell them.... However, Sean Pero can make you one, or can machine your barrel as described above....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:14 am 

2240mod wrote:
Mr. TW.. Loads and fires great and groups "Single Holes at 11 Meters".
Pushing a pellet through, show no signs of any weird markings, just the normal rifling on the head and skirt of the pellet.
Just thought it should be more smoother.

Don't fix it if it isn't broke. Single holes is what we all seek!! There is a price for performance, and perhaps a little bit more effort loading is the price you pay for those groups. Would you trade smoother loading for bigger groups?