Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:02 pm 

hey everyone , I just finish modding my old crosman phantom 500 and it shoots amazing.. probably 750- 800 fps after all the metal work. it shot fine for the first 30 shots and now the gun is fully cocked but the trigger wont work :? the trigger moves when you pull it but does not do anything ... i tried for an hour hitting it and pulling the trigger and everything i could think of to knock the piston loose.. does anyone have any suggestions or am i going to have to take it apart? if the latter, what is a safe way to take it apart because it is fully cocked and ready to fire

thanks for those who can help me

CANADA FOR GOLD !!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:00 pm 

First of all, set it aside and don't do anything risky until you figure out the problem.

What mods did you do?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:26 pm 

Could the safety be on (if there is one)? Some airguns allow full trigger travel with safety engaged.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:40 pm 

ten-ring wrote:
Could the safety be on (if there is one)? Some airguns allow full trigger travel with safety engaged.

Phantom triggers don't move when you engage the safety on.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:29 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Try pulling the trigger then try cocking it with the trigger still pulled. Then close the barrel and try and fire it.

Do this with the gun pointed in a safe direction, obviously.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:08 pm 

triggerhappy ................mods were cutting 52 mm off the piston, welded and drill another hole for the trigger to lock the piston , add a spacer to the spring guide , cut the spring guide 3/4 inch (the first time i tried to mod it the copper pipe i used as a spacer blew up when i cocked it and also blew up some of the spring guide) . grinded some of the piston so it slides throught the chamber nice and smooth and lubed it good...

safety is not on .. the trigger moves freely

Tried that to woody :/ ...shot it 20 time today (about 10 -15 times yesterday).. i'll try it again though, maybe the metal expanded since iv been firing it and its cold outside.. idk

thanks for the replies ,

if nothing works do you guy have any good ideas of taking it apart safely ? im thinking of using a snow bank for the recoil .. good idea or no?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:40 pm 

I think its the new piston catch hole you made. Perhaps its not deburred well or something to do with the angles can caused it to bind.

If you're planning to disassemble, get someone to help. Before you do that, you may be able to see what the problem is after removing the trigger group only. Removing the trigger group may also release the piston so be careful and anticipate it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:44 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

You're going to have to take it apart, period. I would suggest holding it in something and slowly loosening the trigger block- hopefully it will release- but you want to make sure it is held in something (i.e. a padded vice or the like) so it isn't jumping around or able to cause an injury.

As triggerhappy pointed out- your cutting job may be an issue, but it is also possible the trigger block has shifted and jammed up on what is likely a less-than-optimal cutting job.

Please note: I do not conduct business through Private Messages (PM's) in online forums. Please do not send a 'PM" with a business-related question.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:37 pm 

I agree with TriggerHappy, the catch on the sear is probably sticking in the new hole. The mating surfaces need to be mated so the catch cannot hold the piston by itself, so once the trigger is pulled the piston easily forces the catch down. If the angle of the two are wrong it could hang up. So I'd check the angle of the new hole you made, and maybe deburr it and the catch. If it's working now it may continue to work, but who knows...
If it locks up again and all else fails you can take the stock off and release the catch manually.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:27 pm 

@ trigger happy ..thanks man that worked !! took it apart and it works now .. that's a good tip for everyone, I couldn't even find 1 post if this happens to an air gun... thanks everyone!!