Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:51 pm 

I bought a steel breech, and 18 inch barrel. But with all these things installed the power is weaker than before. I have made sure the barrel is shored up. The transfer ports all meet up perfectly. The steel breech doesnt exactly sit snug, because if I tighten the screw on the very top back of the gun to much, I cant pull back the bolt..... Would filing down the screw a bit make me able to screw it all the way down or? Anyone know what might be the problem? I also dry fired it a lot to kill flies last summer. Could that have broken something in the valves?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:16 pm 

When you mounted the steel breech, did you shorten the rear most (8-32) screw? If not, it's binding on the striker spring.

Unsure why you would be unable to pull the bolt back with the screw tightened down...have never had that happen.

A loose breech will most likely be leaking at the transfer port...combined with reduced striker energy from the binding striker spring....power loss is predictable.

Al

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:25 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Digitaldawn wrote:
because if I tighten the screw on the very top back of the gun to much, I cant pull back the bolt....

As Gippeto noted- if you did not cut 1/4" off that screw, it will bind the hammer spring if you don't reinstall the rear sight (which needs to be filed/sanded to match the breech profile). Once you shorten it (or install the rear sight) and reinstall- your issues should disappear.

Please note: I do not conduct business through Private Messages (PM's) in online forums. Please do not send a 'PM" with a business-related question.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:14 pm 

thanks guys. This is what I supposed could be a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 pm 

or try some washers.
Guessing a rear cocker and bind is on cocking shaft.
Washers are easy and undoable.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:56 am 

Don't feel bad, everyone runs into that one on the first steel breech. It's part of the learning curve...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:36 pm 

Also make sure that the transfer port is installed correctly - it's possible to install this upside down, and the gun will still shoot, but power will be reduced due to leaking air.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:39 pm 

I ended up having to seal the top and bottom of my transfer port to stop losing air. I could feel it on my hand with every shot.

The gun only comes with a seal for the bottom, that could get damaged removing or installing the piston and valve if you don't remove the seal first (oops!). That damaged seal, carefully sliced thinner, made a nice top seal when a new bottom seal didn't fix the problem.

Long side of the transfer port goes down into the stock seal, by the way.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:54 am 

notthesnail wrote:
I ended up having to seal the top and bottom of my transfer port to stop losing air. I could feel it on my hand with every shot.

The gun only comes with a seal for the bottom, that could get damaged removing or installing the piston and valve if you don't remove the seal first (oops!). That damaged seal, carefully sliced thinner, made a nice top seal when a new bottom seal didn't fix the problem.

I have mine installed the other way with the longer side of the transfer port going into the barrel. This is how it was installed on my 2240. It is helpful if the hole in the valve is aligned perfectly with the transfer port.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:03 am 

notthesnail wrote:

No, longer side faces up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:16 am 

Maybe my memory is off. I know it's not leaking now, so I'm not likely to take it apart to double-check. I do remember it fit better one way than the other.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:23 pm 

I fixed my crosman 1322 I believe. I was having a lot of trouble getting the transfer port seated properly. So I took it all apart and seated the transfer port into the steel breech first. That made it easier and now I am shooting through cans consistently at 100 feet. Thanks for all the help guys I had a lot of fun today shooting.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:55 pm 

Np, glad you have your gun working nicely now :)