Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: broken scope
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:23 pm 

greetings

wanted to share and get opinions on here from airgunners who may have experienced this;

i'm prepping two of my rifles for summer shooting, one is the ruger airhawk, the other the Diana 34, both PAL version, both having healthy recoil, i'm currently breaking in the Diana, and i'm using a cheap centerpoint scope i had lying around, ordered a Leapers, should be here Friday, in the meantime, i'm shooting at 30 feet, and shot about 100 rounds so far, the scope is holding zero just fine

the Airhawk has a cheapo scope i ordered from deal extreme last fall, its a 3-9X40, FN scope, not sure its airgun compatible, but seems to be identical to the one on my Browning Leverage, so when i finally repaired and tuned the airhawk, this is the scope i put on, it shot good groups, and i must have shot 50 to 75 pellets with it, and then the POI started to drift, i made sure everything was on there "toight", i even used loctite and a torque wrench at 25 foot pounds, after confirming that i'm not dealing with slippage, i'm finding the windage moving to the left, and sometimes, the elevation going down, not necessarily in sync, i re-adjust, but then goes to left and down after a few shots, sometime as little as 3 shots, the elevation knob is near the top, and the windage knob is a quarter of the way in

at this point, i'm thinking the scope is broken, i read on here that a few people having a Benjamin trail do experience this, i'd like to know how they come to that conclusion, how does a broken scope act ?

note; in the meantime, i put the centerpoint on the Airhawk, seems to hold, and when i get the Leapers, it will go on the Diana, so no issue there

Post subject: Re: broken scope
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:29 am 

Is your air hawke full power ? Mine is and has destroyed 4 scopes. I sold it a few days ago and made the new owner aware of the scoping issues.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:40 am 

joe hickey wrote:
Is your air hawke full power ? Mine is and has destroyed 4 scopes. I sold it a few days ago and made the new owner aware of the scoping issues.

yep, it is full power, last summer, I installed multiple scopes on it, all failed to hold zero passed a certain point, one in particular that came with my Winchester 500x did not hold up either, in fact the windage knob would no longer crank, was working fine on lower powered rifles, this I blame on the Airhawk, was pretty obvious the gun destroyed it

so now I guess I'm looking at buying a more resilient scope for that particular rifle, maybe a leapers if I like the one I'm getting

was just curious to know what the observations were for those who ran into the issue of a broken scope

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:35 am 

What you described for not holding zero is exactly what happened to me on my Benjamin Nitro. I even had one where the reticle fell off inside tube.
These I had purchased these at Canadian Tire and I had asked the clerk if these scopes would handle the NP, he said yes... but he also got them back destroyed. Then I bought a Hawke Airmax and it's been great.
Harry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:41 pm 

I have a scope that was on a springer that wandered away from center too. Now it doesn't center on anything I put it on. Once this happens to a scope is it junk and not repairable? It's pressure from springs on the tube as I understand. Does it damage the springs? Maybe the one I have, has other problems too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:18 pm 

Bigoofball- As far as I know, once a scope is broke... Its broke :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:05 pm 

Another reason I have no love of springers!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:06 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

M3ga3T wrote:
Bigoofball- As far as I know, once a scope is broke... Its broke :(

Scopes can be repaired, but no one is going to spend $400.00 to repair a $200.00 scope.

There is something to be said for "lifetime warranty" from a well-known manufacturer.

Please note: I do not conduct business through Private Messages (PM's) in online forums. Please do not send a 'PM" with a business-related question.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:00 pm 

Thanks, broke is broke sounds about right to me, figures. :)
It's my own fault, It was a gift and I knew it wasn't for a springer. I have no idea what it cost. If it costs $400 to fix, it probably cost $401. :) Honestly, it was probably not an expensive scope.
Ya, iron sights are fine on a springer now.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:33 am 

Scopes can be fixed, but it depends on what broke. Lenses popping out of their rings can simply be glued back in. A turning reticle can be glued or peened in place. An LED setup for the reticle might break loose, again glue.
A very common problem with springers is the reverse recoil causes the internal tube to bounce around and it doesn't always stop in the same spot so each shot could be off, or some of them off etc. Barrel droop causes people to adjust the scope elevation all the way out (counter clockwise) which takes pressure off the spring inside that holds that tube in place. If this is your problem you should shim the scope to bring the adjustment screws to at least center so there is more spring pressure holding the center tube. Another problem with being adjusted too far from center is one screw affects the other. For example if the screws are centered you might have 3 turns in any direction available to you, but if say the elevation is turned down so there is only one turn left it will limit your windage available.
Look thru the front lens with a flashlight to see the screws and the spring and it should all make sense. I always shim my scopes to match the barrel. If barrel droop is so much that it looks obvious or the shimmed scope looks obvious then I reduce the droop. If you don't want to shim the scope then remove the droop altogether.