Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:34 pm 

I got a brass hammer spring guide (http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... ring-p-652), does it matter whether the guide sits in the recess of the tube end cap or the recess of the hammer?

Also in regards to hammer springs - I got one of these velocity adjusters (http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... ster-p-718), which if I use I obviously can't use the brass hammer spring guide because the adjuster has its own guide. However I noticed the hammer spring which came with the brass guide (which I think seems of higher quality than the one that came with the velocity adjuster and the stock spring) will not fit the velocity adjuster. The spring that came with the adjuster is less tightly wound, but slightly longer and has more tension than the spring that came with the brass guide. The one that came with the brass guide is the same length as the stock spring but is the tightest wound out of the 3.

So that was probably pretty confusing but my options are:

a) Use the brass guide with the spring that came with it and the stock tube end cap
b) Use the velocity adjuster with the spring that came with it
c) Use the brass guide with the spring that came with the velocity adjuster and the stock tube end cap

So just wondering which in your experiences (since there are so many experienced 22xx and 13xx modders here on CAF) might be the best option. In terms of I don't know...cocking smoothness, longevity, what have you. Obviously the heaviest spring with the adjuster is probably going to get the most power, but if the brass guide is worthwhile I'd like to use that.

To summarise:
Brass guide spring = better wound and same length as stock spring
Adjuster spring = very heavy, longer, less tightly wound than brass guide spring (heavy enough that the adjuster needs to be set all the way back to be installed)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:45 am 

Ended up having to go with the stock spring and spring guide because the other 2 springs seemed way too tight...for now anyway...might've been because the screw that tightens the breech to the tube was in too deep thus hitting the spring.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:02 am 

assteepee wrote:
Ended up having to go with the stock spring and spring guide because the other 2 springs seemed way too tight...for now anyway...might've been because the screw that tightens the breech to the tube was in too deep thus hitting the spring.

Yeah you have to shorten the breech screw if your using a RVA(velocity adjuster).

Answering your above question:
Most people try heavier springs in a 2240 but they may put you over the 500fps limit!
So most people buy or make RVA's, I have about 8 in three different styles, and the stock spring and use the RVA to get to just under 500fps with their favourite pellet. Spring guides are great, I make those too. 1/2" long max! Have the guide sit inside the hammer just make sure your RVA isn't cranked all the way to the point where you can't cock the gun!

Invest the $125 in a good Chronograph. They last a lifetime and helpful in tuning your guns!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:54 am 

"Most people try heavier hammer springs in a 2240" and are so very impressed with all the extra noise that they figure getting half the shots must indicate they have increased the power instead of just wasting CO2 for the same results.... while in fact that is NOT the case.... I suggest you read this thread, because you may come away with a better understanding of what happens when you increase hammer spring tension.... and that you are better off to REDUCE it and save CO2 while getting the same performance.... topic59801.html

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!