Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:38 pm 

Installed a Vortek PG2 Kit in a Ruger BlackHawk .177. Yes I did take pictures, but I'm too aggravated to load them up right now. I will post a little write up with pics later this week. In the meantime, the install was easy, however, I've spent hours trying to reassemble the trigger and safety mechanism. Thought I had it, but would not cock. Totally p*ssed off, had to walk away before I screwed something up.

Anybody have any pics or exploded parts diagram?

I tried searching the net. while I was trying to reassemble ( had the laptop in the garage with me) but no luck, having a couple of cold ones now to decompress, will continue searching.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:50 pm 

here you go, just right click on the pic

the only easy way i found to put this trigger assembly back in is to have it all together with safety already in the assembled trigger part.

then i used two shortened wooden pegs to take the place of the metal pins, once compressed in the tube, you just push the pegs out using the original metal pins

Attachments:
AirHawk_schematic.jpg
AirHawk_schematic.jpg [ 101.85 KiB | Viewed 693 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:07 pm 

I had that same problem once. I can't remember the exact cause, but I'd try plugging the piston into the trigger while in your hands, not the gun, and watch it move. I imagine the problem is the trigger refuses to catch and lock the piston? That's what most people have trouble with. All I can remember is there is an action when the piston is inserted all the way that resets the trigger and that's what wasn't working. I believe when that fails it will reset if you pull the trigger a bit to help it along, but whatever the case just watch it move and look for what's not happening. If all fails just take the trigger completely apart and reassemble. Several people have asked me to fix a trigger they took apart and now won't work, so I take them apart, can't see anything wrong, put it back together and they work fine.
Another thing; if the new spring assy is too long and won't let the piston go all the way into the trigger it will fail to rest. This is another reason to test it in your hands first to verify it works, then install it. If it's the spring assy you can look for a way to shorten it, maybe you left an extra part in, but most people have that problem by adding a shim/washer to boost power. If not and the spring is simply too long you can always cut a coil off.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:13 pm 

Getting the safety back in is definitely a trial of patience. Holding the two metal plates to the side while pushing the safety in requires a very thin but stiff piece of metal to hold them. If you have at your disposal 2 strong magnets will hold them as well .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:18 pm 

As I recall, part #55 causes the problem. It needs to be in the middle of part #57. Part #55 has a spring attached and does not want to stay straight. You need to hold #55 straight, I used mini needle nose pliers.
Harry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:23 pm 

joe hickey wrote:
Getting the safety back in is definitely a trial of patience. Holding the two metal plates to the side while pushing the safety in requires a very thin but stiff piece of metal to hold them. If you have at your disposal 2 strong magnets will hold them as well .

Thanks for your help, but I have no idea what you mean by holding the two metal plates to the side??

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:25 pm 

HarryEClark wrote:
As I recall, part #55 causes the problem. It needs to be in the middle of part #57. Part #55 has a spring attached and does not want to stay straight. You need to hold #55 straight, I used mini needle nose pliers.
Harry

I was using a small flat screwdriver to center Part#55. At the moment though, the safety is no longer co-operating in sliding in place.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:33 pm 

Chevota wrote:
I had that same problem once. I can't remember the exact cause, but I'd try plugging the piston into the trigger while in your hands, not the gun, and watch it move. I imagine the problem is the trigger refuses to catch and lock the piston? That's what most people have trouble with. All I can remember is there is an action when the piston is inserted all the way that resets the trigger and that's what wasn't working. I believe when that fails it will reset if you pull the trigger a bit to help it along, but whatever the case just watch it move and look for what's not happening. If all fails just take the trigger completely apart and reassemble. Several people have asked me to fix a trigger they took apart and now won't work, so I take them apart, can't see anything wrong, put it back together and they work fine.
Another thing; if the new spring assy is too long and won't let the piston go all the way into the trigger it will fail to rest. This is another reason to test it in your hands first to verify it works, then install it. If it's the spring assy you can look for a way to shorten it, maybe you left an extra part in, but most people have that problem by adding a shim/washer to boost power. If not and the spring is simply too long you can always cut a coil off.

I installed the new spring kit, compressed it, and reinstalled the retaining pins. Then I tried to reassemble the trigger/safety. I don't understand what you mean about plugging the piston into the trigger?

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:40 pm 

Part #55 caused all my problems with re-install. It doesn't want to stay straight in two dimensions, center to length of gun and a cant top to bottom. If positioned right it will go easy. Three or four hands wouldn't hurt either.
Harry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:51 pm 

if your gun's piston rod will not engage the sear when you cock it, i suspect you have part 51 and 52 in the wrong order, the one that has the little metal peg on it needs to be facing back and the peg facing down, i included a pic to show you what i mean, put those back in that exact order shown in the pic

Attachments:
IMG_2049.JPG
IMG_2049.JPG [ 166.02 KiB | Viewed 652 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:56 pm 

HarryEClark wrote:
Part #55 caused all my problems with re-install. It doesn't want to stay straight in two dimensions, center to length of gun and a cant top to bottom. If positioned right it will go easy. Three or four hands wouldn't hurt either.
Harry

I'll pay close attention to that on my next attempt, wont be today.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:58 pm 

robipaul wrote:
if your gun's piston rod will not engage the sear when you cock it, i suspect you have part 51 and 52 in the wrong order, the one that has the little metal peg on it needs to be facing back and the peg facing down, i included a pic to show you what i mean, put those back in that exact order shown in the pic

I didn't remove those parts, I just popped the three pins holding the trigger mechanism together.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:12 pm 

Roussfam wrote:
joe hickey wrote:

Thanks for your help, but I have no idea what you mean by holding the two metal plates to the side??

Jim

Sorry. One metal plate. With the safety out and the trigger in place if you look inside from the back you should see a small plate that moves from side to side. That little plate binds as you try to push the safety back in. It has to be held to one side while you insert the safety. A thin piece of metal or a magnet will hold it till you get the safety back in. Of course I'm assuming the black hawke is the same as the air hawke.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:15 pm 

Roussfam wrote:
robipaul wrote:

I didn't remove those parts, I just popped the three pins holding the trigger mechanism together.

Jim

ok then the bottom parts goes in the order of the pic i have just taken

Attachments:
IMG_2052.JPG
IMG_2052.JPG [ 195.27 KiB | Viewed 637 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:31 pm 

Attachment:
trigger_group.JPG
trigger_group.JPG [ 233.42 KiB | Viewed 633 times ]
robipaul wrote:
Roussfam wrote:
robipaul wrote:

Jim

ok then the bottom parts goes in the order of the pic i have just taken

That's a bit of a relief, that's the order I've been reassembling in. Barrel wont cock, so it sounds like I have to pay closer attention to the alignment of part #55 like Joe Hickey and HarryEClark mentioned.

I didn't have this bit apart, but the spring #56 fits over a tit on part #55 and seats against some kind of steel plate at the end from what I see, is this correct? I downloaded a photo that kind of makes is look like it butts up against the safety, so I'm not sure.