Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:51 pm 

I finally got around to improving the trigger pull on my Benjamin Classic .22 rifle. I finally found a source for 3x5x2.5mm RC bearings and they arrived in the mail today. I lost no time and had one bearing installed this afternoon in about half an hour. What a difference like chalk from cheese, just a little away from being a hair trigger and very predictable. I made all the safety tests like bumping the stock really hard with the safety off and the rifle cocked and with the safety engaged and absolutely no discharges even after numerous attempts. I am very pleased with the results so thanks to all posters on this Forum who suggested and detailed this modification. Maurice.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:28 pm 

Nice! I used a bicycle chain roller on mine a la the Ace mod. Worked like a charm and made my classic a whole new rifle. Actually, my classic is still my fave.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:17 am 

Glad you're happy with it, the washer mod can be tricky... The best test method to check for safety is to hit the butt on the concrete because the weight of the trigger pulls itself. I assume you removed the return spring as well? Reducing the pull distance or weight makes it easier to set off, and doing both is somewhat a multiple of both dangers. Say you reduce both pull distance to 10% and weight to 25% of what is was, I imagine it will take <5% of the force to set it off. A guess but it's realistic. I suppose maybe a 12" drop (assuming the gun has a rubber butt pad) would be somewhat safe consider it should never see that, but I doubt it'll pass that test so you'll just have to decide what is ok. Also, the trigger usually does not reset internally so one drop at say for example 5" might not do it, but two drops might.
I don't necessarily mean a modded trigger is dangerous altogether, just compared to the overly safe condition it was originally. However it does end up flat out dangerous if too short/light, and the washer mod is imo the most likely to be that. Many people don't test it like you did and the gun snaps closed while loading which bends the barrel, or fires the moment the barrel is closed, or randomly at some point who knows where. How dangerous it is after the mod should be obvious to anyone with common mechanical sense and three IQ digits to work with, but you'd be surprised how many don't understand the risks. One reason the mod is dangerous aside from the obvious is the sears. The sears are stamped steel and the edges are uneven and a bit rounded at the edge, so the closer you are to that edge the danger level skyrockets. There are other ways to do the trigger, better and/or safer ways if you're interested. Like making it a two stage so you have stage one for safety, then stage two can be short. Plus making the sears sharp/straight/smooth is both safer and more predictable. Write me at chevota at hotmail and I'll send you the how-to guide. That goes for anyone btw... If nothing else it should at least give you some ideas for improvements you may want, like the sears, or maybe adding some travel if it's a bit too sketchy with the washer. I also have a great tuning guide for the whole gun if you/anyone wants it. It was written specifically for Cros/Benj, but works with basically any break-barrel and other springers. Just write remind me of who you are and what it is you want. I also have printable targets I made just for airguns, if you want. I mention it because they seem to be very popular. They only use a small fraction of expensive printer ink compared to normal targets, and it's easier to see your hole.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:31 am 

Chevota, I did not use washers, I used a small bearing that is intended for the construction of radio controlled model cars 5mm bore x 8mm outside diameter x 2.5mm thick. I did extensive safety tests including dropping from a height of 10" two or three times in a row with no discharge. The trigger is very predictable and safe. Maurice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:29 pm 

I've done lots of bump tests on my triggers, but I can never bring myself to actually drop the gun. That's just a step too far for me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:42 pm 

EverHopeful, I dropped it vertically onto its rubber butt pad and kept it upright so no chance of any damage. I would never drop a rifle in any manner that could result in damage. Maurice.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:59 pm 

The bearing is considered the washer mod, as is using chain link, it's all the same thing but a bearing or link is typically safer since they're smaller and more precision. The main drawback imo is they're not adjustable, or should I say virtually nobody adjusts them. People install it and wherever it ends up they live with it. If I were to ever do that mod I would use too big a washer then remove metal from the trigger until it's exactly where I want it. Ideally (imo) one needs to drill/tap and install a 3mm screw up thru the trigger until its tip ends up between the pivot pin and lift pin, this will create two stages which are adjustable. Apparently few people are willing to do it and I'm not sure why. I figured it people are willing to pay for and wait for a bearing then they can buy a tap, but apparently I'm wrong.
I'm surprised the gun passed the drop test of 2-3x at 10" with the bearing... Unless you kept the spring in there, or it's the older stamped sheet metal trigger which are much lighter. If you have one of those then you should seriously consider a newer cast one. I tried to make a sheet metal one nice but it was a wasted effort, so I paid the $10 for a new cast one.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:01 pm 

Chevota, I did not keep the spring in the trigger, I discarded the spring and its retaining pin. It is not the old stamped trigger, it is the later cast model and the rifle is only six months old. I purchased it new at the beginning of October last year. Oh by the way I am an Engineer by profession and I have been around firearms since I served as a sniper in the British Army in the early 1950s so I do know what I am doing. Maurice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:51 am 

Trust me I'm not doubting your abilities at all, I figured you were on the ball by testing in the first place which many if not most people don't do. It's probably my fault if I came across negative or condescending, if so I apologize! I am surprised it passed however. I know mine wouldn't, but it's probably because I smooth the internals and use dry lube on them followed with grease. I'm anal like that uc, everything gets "the treatment". Or maybe it's the travel, who knows... Glad your happy with it tho :)
Since you're smart and handy, have you considered tuning the gun? I tune all mine and always get a nice chunk of free power from a Cros/Benj, along with all the other bennies including less scope abuse. If so I have a guide with pix and ideas for it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:08 am 

Chevota, no need to apologise my friend I know you were just trying to be helpful. Shoot well my friend. :drinkers: