Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:34 pm 

I have a jammed pellet inside of my Air Arms S410F (the one from airgunsource), and I wanted to take out the barrel to see if I can get it out. I've removed the breech and all the screws that retain the barrel, but it's still very tight. I was able to turn it a bit earlier though, but it just won't come out. I was just wondering if I was missing something or if it's just really tight and needs more force. I have removed ALL the screws from the breech and the breech is detached from the rest of the gun. Someone else had some luck using a hair dryer, is that safe for the gun?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:01 pm 

I'd give AirgunSource a call or SSSO in BC a call.
If all fails, call England!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:10 pm 

assteepee wrote:
I have a jammed pellet inside of my Air Arms S410F (the one from airgunsource), and I wanted to take out the barrel to see if I can get it out. I've removed the breech and all the screws that retain the barrel, but it's still very tight. I was able to turn it a bit earlier though, but it just won't come out. I was just wondering if I was missing something or if it's just really tight and needs more force. I have removed ALL the screws from the breech and the breech is detached from the rest of the gun. Someone else had some luck using a hair dryer, is that safe for the gun?

Silly question but why would you need to remove the barrel to remove a stuck pellet?

DaveD :D

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:39 pm 

blade57 wrote:
assteepee wrote:

Silly question but why would you need to remove the barrel to remove a stuck pellet?

Haha you're right it turns out I don't. I was worried about poking it through but that worked out fine. So I got the pellet out, but I also wanted to remove the barrel from the breech to take a look because it seems like there's a weird issue with Crosman Premiers getting stuck.

It seems like when I use Crosman Premiers (domed and hollowpoints), the pellet gets stuck when I push the bolt forward to chamber the pellet. The bolt will go forward to the point where there is about 1cm of exposed bolt left at the rear, and it will go no further because the pellet is obstructing it (very tightly) for some reason. This happens regardless of whether I use a magazine.

Here's the kicker - the gun works perfectly fine with JSB Exact Jumbos, and I have also most certainly used both types of Crosman Premiers before, from the same tins no less. These are the only 3 different tins of .22's that I have currently so I don't know if I have the same problem with other types of pellets. The last time I shot the rifle was last week when I used all 3 different pellets which all worked fine. Today, I shot 10 rounds of JSB's, refilled the magazine with CPH, and the first pellet gets stuck when I attempted to push the bolt forward. After getting the pellet out I tried the same thing with the Premier domes with and without magazine, CPH without magazine, all of which resulted in the pellet getting stuck. When I went back to the JSB's, everything was groovy and the gun still shot accurately.

Maybe the barrel just needs to be cleaned? Also when I discharged the rifle with the pellet stuck, it still went off since it was cocked but the pellet did not move, so I presume it is getting stuck before the valve port.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:50 am 

assteepee wrote:
blade57 wrote:
assteepee wrote:

Haha you're right it turns out I don't. I was worried about poking it through but that worked out fine. So I got the pellet out, but I also wanted to remove the barrel from the breech to take a look because it seems like there's a weird issue with Crosman Premiers getting stuck.

It seems like when I use Crosman Premiers (domed and hollowpoints), the pellet gets stuck when I push the bolt forward to chamber the pellet. The bolt will go forward to the point where there is about 1cm of exposed bolt left at the rear, and it will go no further because the pellet is obstructing it (very tightly) for some reason. This happens regardless of whether I use a magazine.

Here's the kicker - the gun works perfectly fine with JSB Exact Jumbos, and I have also most certainly used both types of Crosman Premiers before, from the same tins no less. These are the only 3 different tins of .22's that I have currently so I don't know if I have the same problem with other types of pellets. The last time I shot the rifle was last week when I used all 3 different pellets which all worked fine. Today, I shot 10 rounds of JSB's, refilled the magazine with CPH, and the first pellet gets stuck when I attempted to push the bolt forward. After getting the pellet out I tried the same thing with the Premier domes with and without magazine, CPH without magazine, all of which resulted in the pellet getting stuck. When I went back to the JSB's, everything was groovy and the gun still shot accurately.

Maybe the barrel just needs to be cleaned? Also when I discharged the rifle with the pellet stuck, it still went off since it was cocked but the pellet did not move, so I presume it is getting stuck before the valve port.

Did you take a micrometer or vernier Caliper to the Crosman pellets?

That's where I would start.

Also, it's not advisable to repeatedly fire an airgun that has a stuck pellet as the air has nowhere to go. This is usually detremental to the rifles seals.

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:13 pm 

Thanks Dave, it looks like it is a pellet sizing issue. I don't have a micrometer to check but I tried the pellets through some other guns - a 2240 and and a Hatsan BT65. Both Premiers had trouble going into the 2240 as well. The Premier domes were extremely tight but can be pushed in with some force. The hollow points were similar but went in a bit easier, while JSB's slid in smoothly, much like in the Air Arms. There weren't any problems with the Hatsan but I think it's because the Hatsan has a gigantic bolt that requires manhandling in the first place.

I still don't want to try the Premier domes again because they were really stuck yesterday, but I did try the hollow points again and this time pushed the bolt in with a bit more force in one deliberate motion and it went in without much hassle.

And fortunately I only fired the gun with the pellet stuck like that just once, but I sure as hell didn't feel too good about it! Never again...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:04 am 

What's on the can of pellets 4.5mm / 4.51mm / 4.52mm/ or 4.53mm this one can be very tight :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:53 am 

abslayer wrote:
What's on the can of pellets 4.5mm / 4.51mm / 4.52mm/ or 4.53mm this one can be very tight :wink:

Pretty sure the OP's rifle is a .22. Those sizes would be a poor fit in a 2240 :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:35 pm 

you think :lol: thought it was a .177

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:56 pm 

I have the same gun from AGS and I had the same issue with pellets getting stuck but it was with all pellets.
For some reason the barrel had actually moved a little and the probe was jamming the pellets even the JSB's and the AA`s.

It had moved forward a little bit and I think the pellets were twisting as they were being pushed into the barrel and catching on the edge of the barrel. It hadn`t moved a lot but enough to create an issue with pellets getting stuck.

After I put the barrel back to where it needed to be no more issue.

I shot probably about a hundred rounds through it today with not hint of a pellet getting stuck.

May be an issue with this gun.

Regards,

Roger

Marauder .25 (Canadianized)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:14 pm 

corman wrote:
I have the same gun from AGS and I had the same issue with pellets getting stuck but it was with all pellets.
For some reason the barrel had actually moved a little and the probe was jamming the pellets even the JSB's and the AA`s.

It had moved forward a little bit and I think the pellets were twisting as they were being pushed into the barrel and catching on the edge of the barrel. It hadn`t moved a lot but enough to create an issue with pellets getting stuck.

After I put the barrel back to where it needed to be no more issue.

I shot probably about a hundred rounds through it today with not hint of a pellet getting stuck.

May be an issue with this gun.

Regards,

Roger

I was actually quite worried something like that might have been the problem especially after I tried to remove the barrel, since although it wouldn't budge I did manage to turn it just a bit. Still, the problem occured before I turned the barrel, and I was thinking if the barrel did move it should create a problem with the valve and barrel ports not lining up.

How did you manage to put the barrel back into position? I mean was it tight? I've read for some people (and slightly different S410 models) the barrel just slips out, and for others it's very tight. Mine is especially tight, I'm not sure it'll want to move back into place even if there is a gap :/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:57 pm 

The screw that held the barrel in place made a dent in the barrel when it had been installed originally.

When you removed the top screw completely you could see the mark on the barrel and that is what I used to align the barrel back to the right position.

Marauder .25 (Canadianized)