Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: HW 85 problems
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:24 pm 

About six months ago I purchased an HW85 from D&L. It has given me no problems up until a few days ago when I was out shooting. The gun was working great and I was shooting 1/2 inch groups form 30 yards standing! Then as I tried to cock the gun it would not click into place. I did eventually get the gun to cock again, but when I fired it was way louder than normal and when I opened the gun again to see if the pellet fired (which it did) it smelled like burnt rubber. Any ideas about what went wrong or what I should do about it?
The gun has been very well maintained and never dry fired.

Thanks in advance for your input,

Dan

Post subject: Re: HW 85 problems
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:50 pm 

Dan is it burnt rubber or burnt oil ?
got a feeling the smell is burnt oil or grease and its dieseling since your saying it's way louder now.
Are you getting quit a bit of smoke coming out the barrel as well after its fired. ?
If its defiantly a rubber smell your piston seal is running supper dry and my be melting for increased friction.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:03 pm 

I try to keep the piston well greased but a ton of smoke comes from the barrel whenever I fire.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:16 pm 

you don't want a lot of grease in it :shock: , you need a seal lube thats non combustion.
I like moly lube its not really a seal lube but i have found that it works great.
You need to disassemble it and clean out all that grease and oil.
http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2014/04/ ... ns-part-1/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:35 pm 

Okay, I'll give it a try. However there is still the problem that nine times out of ten I can't get the gun to cock. I took it apart, and the trigger mech seems to be functioning fine. I don't know what else it could be???

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm 

Dan45 wrote:
Okay, I'll give it a try. However there is still the problem that nine times out of ten I can't get the gun to cock. I took it apart, and the trigger mech seems to be functioning fine. I don't know what else it could be???

Too much lubrication inside the trigger mech will do the same your clearances are full of lubricant. Like Ace said clean everything up light lube and retry. Moly is your friend when used sparingly.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:30 pm 

Okay, thanks for the help! :!:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:33 pm 

Is your cocking arm bent or bowed out at all? Sometimes it doesn't take much for the sear to not engage because the cocking piece is not traveling far enough.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:10 pm 

There is an extremely slight bow in the cocking arm. I don't know if it is supposed to be that way or not?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:50 am 

Your spring could be broken too, you need to open it up and have a look at it, while you have it open clean all the grease.
Get yourself some Moly lube, but not just any Moly, I get mine from this guy Jim Maccari (ARH) he sells kits lubes and seals for HW's
if your spring is busted you may want to buy a kit from him.
Just like it's been mentioned too much grease or oil is not good at all, you want to apply a very light film of moly on the side of the seal and piston NOT on the front.........smoke is not good you're killing your spring and seal, there is actually an explosion inside your comp tube.

good luck and let us know how it goes.

joe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:40 am 

Dan45 wrote:
The gun was working great and I was shooting 1/2 inch groups from 30 yards standing!
Dan

wish I could do that these days - 'those' days are long gone