Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Testing a new trigger
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:47 pm 

I spent the weekend working on a new trigger group for the 2240. The first attempt didn't work out, so even though mark II isn't really finished I couldn't resist giving it a test run. The new group is based on the p-rod but with a simpler spring layout, and the part which isn't done yet is the new trigger with the adjustment screws. The first test was a bit hilarious. The new spring was binding in the grip frame and not giving much push, so the trigger was really light. Like, really light. It passed a bump test, but frankly I've no idea how (ok, perhaps the very large sear engagement helps). It was literally think about the trigger and it goes off sort of light. After a few pellets to see if I could get the hang of it, which I couldn't, I stripped the gun back down, fitted a smaller diameter spring and started over. So now, with the new drop sear and link, but a stock trigger what have I got? Truth be told it's a pretty nasty, medium weight single stage trigger with lots of crunch where I haven't done a very good job of stoning the interfaces. And to add insult to injury the drop sear drags on the hammer more than a standard arrangement and took 100 fps off my velocity. But, wow! Look at this group of twenty:

Attachment:
File comment: 10m, 1 hand offhand, open sights. 20 rounds
IMG_0031.JPG
IMG_0031.JPG [ 117.36 KiB | Viewed 695 times ]

I have another target with an even tighter 10 round group low and left of the target and another 5 rounds centered after adjusting the sights, so I don't think the above was a fluke. I have no idea why the new trigger setup works, but it sure seems to. I'm hoping that once I have the new blade done with the two stage adjustments I'll be able to dial the setup in so it feels better. It would be just my luck if it then shoots like crap.

Jim

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:07 am 

EverHopeful wrote:
It would be just my luck if it then shoots like crap.

And so it came to pass. After putting in the new trigger blade and bumping the fps back up the groups went back to normal. So now I have to work through all the changes and see if I can get back to the good stuff. My favorite theory is maybe the drop in fps helped with the grouping, as that will be the easiest to change back :)

On the plus side, it feels much nicer now, although it looks a bit clunky. I need to do some shaping of the new trigger to make it look a bit more respectable.