Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:28 am 

I knew you had to look :P Anyway. I was doing some bench shooting this morning and was resting the gun on the bag, the usual way, sort of balanced with the bag just in front of the trigger guard. This was good until I noticed small movement from my beating heart. So I tried resting the gun at the end of the fore stock. This means more movement is required at the shoulder, in order to move the front, and the movement all but went away and the groups tightened to almost one holers at 50 yds, except for the odd flier and breeze,s. All were less than a quarter. I tried it with both my AT44 LW barrel .22 cal, and my home made heavy barrel 22xx .22cal and both shot the exact same group,s. I have an appointment in a half hour, so I'll get some pic,s or video, when I get back, if the wind doesn't pick up.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:42 am 

Joe, get a V-shaped bag for the rear and just push the gun to your shoulder. Then you don't get the thump-thump from your heart. That's the way the bench-resters do it!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:46 am 

I try to never rest anything on my bag...

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:41 am 

rrdstarr wrote:
Joe, get a V-shaped bag for the rear and just push the gun to your shoulder. Then you don't get the thump-thump from your heart. That's the way the bench-resters do it!

I hooked up the camera and found I did indeed need the v shaped bag for the rear. Nice steady shots now. I also tried my gun vice/rest, but that was entirely too shakey. Great for working on guns, but not for shooting.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:55 am 

Arg didn't work

Crosman 2240
Daisy 953
Ruger Green Mountain Laminate 10/22+Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
1950 Russian SKS
Remington 783 30-06 Hawke Vantage 6-24x44 SF

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:25 am 

Most good gun shops will have proper rear & front bags. As Rick noted, the rabbit or bunny ears bags for the rear are used for elevation adjustment by squeezing the ears together on the butt which raises and lowers the butt according to the pressure applied. There are good rear bags and poor rear bags.
If you want to get really anal (like a Bench Rest shooter), you can powder the bags with talc (baby powder), which reduces the stock's friction in the bag and makes for even tighter groups.
Double bagged both front and rear is the only way to shoot the best groups, with any rifle.
I find it interesting that the boys shooting those marvelous groups in England, ie: Sy - does not use an artillery hold on the HW97 and HW98, but holds the forend out at the pivot screw. Interesting that I found my two same rifles shot just fine by holding them normally as I would any rifle. They shoot just fine simply resting on a flat sand bag as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:41 am 

Daryl wrote:
.....squeezing the ears together on the butt......

Hake sure to warn someone before you try this......it's a good way to get slapped! :oops:

My YouTube channel: Tactical Fail Inc.
http://www.youtube.com/user/HammerSandw ... ature=mhum

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:50 pm 

Even a sock filled with a form of media under the butt stock squeezed accordingly can help stablize shot groups. Cheap too. :D Just stich the hole/ holes up first :lol:

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:59 pm 

I picked up one of those bags of basmati rice...the ones in the hemp style bag that has a handle. I'm going to put in a sealed bag with sand...but I gotta eat the rice first.

Anyone up for rice pudding?

Attachments:
royal-brand-basmati-rice-20-lbs.jpg
royal-brand-basmati-rice-20-lbs.jpg [ 198.85 KiB | Viewed 945 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:17 pm 

Sonic wrote:
I picked up one of those bags of basmati rice...the ones in the hemp style bag that has a handle. I'm going to put in a sealed bag with sand...but I gotta eat the rice first.

Anyone up for rice pudding?

You might find sand a little too heavy and not as forgiving as peas or beans. the raw uncooked kind. I used whole yellow peas in mine. Even the rice would be better than sand. Just my opinion of course.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:04 pm 

If you're this guy.....very carefully