Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:36 pm 
Supporting Member

Just got a new spring and piston seal for my old HW45. The new spring is a good 3 cm longer than the old worn out one. My problem is trying to compress the spring, which has a very strong pre-load on it, back into the cylinder without a spring compressor. I have never needed a compressor for any of the rifles I have done springs on before, but this beast is getting the better of me. Any tricks for getting this done, or do I just need to invest in a spring compressor that will spend 99.9999 percent of its time sitting in a drawer?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:00 pm 
Supporting Members

http://my.tbaytel.net/coopers/HW45Revie ... Y_&_TUNING

Im addicted to brake fluid..........but I can stop anytime....

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:32 am 

get..http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maste ... 2pRqK1dU7Q
and to your length...
get this... http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pipe- ... 2pR0a1dU7Q

Now on Sale, may be not in your area..
That is all you need..and you can use it to make repairs around you home.

Arsenal..
Kraft Marshmallow Pump and Shoot Rifle.
GoodYear Gatling Gun rubber-band shooter.
PEI Potato PCP Rifle.

Glass ..12" Dobsonian Reflector.
Shooting for the Stars.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:48 am 

I don't use spring compressors either. I put the spring end/guide/cap or whatever the mfg calls it (your parts list calls it "end cap") on the ground and use my body weight on the gun. If the part needs to be flush or recessed in the tube then I use a short rubber cork or whatever spacer to push the spring in further. A rubber is nice because it doesn't slip like say a socket or stack of coins often do. Compressing isn't much of a problem for me, my most common problem is sometimes the pin just won't go in. Test fitting the pin thru the assy without the spring should tell you what problems you have. You may need to bevel and smooth the hole in the end cap dealie so the pin slides in easily. The edge of the pin might be sharp so breaking that edge with sandpaper will help. And of course grease is helpful. Sometimes the end of the pin is deformed from use and that's the whole problem, if so you can sand it true up enough to work, or of course replace it. Drill bits are an optional source for making nice tight new pins, like a #8 or 9 bit is often a great fit for what was a 5mm pin.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:47 pm 
Supporting Member

Thanks for the tips guys.