Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:14 pm 

rsterne wrote:
A Disco Gauge Block (the part that goes into the tube) is NOT threaded with 1/8" NPT threads, the Disco Gauge Adapter (the part that extends the gauge) seals into it with an O-ring and the threads are straight not tapered.... The female end of the adapter where the gauge fits is 1/8" NPT.... The PRod Gauge Block IS threaded 1/8" NPT because the gauge threads into it directly (no extender/adapter).... In addition, the through hole is larger than the Disco one, so the gun will deliver more power, especially if it is modified....

RE the price of custom machined parts and accessories, I get REALLY tired of guys not wanting to pay a decent rate for shop time and materials.... That is exactly why I refuse to make ANY parts for sale.... I don't mind working for myself for $1.00 an hour, but I won't do custom machine work for less than $20.00/hr. plus materials, and nobody wants to even pay that.... Somebody trying to make a living at it, and paying the bills, can't even afford to work at that rate...
I agree with you Bob that a one off part custom machined, should be priced accordingly. A part made by hundreds or thousands with todays automated systems, not so much.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:25 pm 

joe hickey wrote:
$38.50 plus tax and shipping ? You gotta be kidding.

Nope...not kidding at all.

While I can certainly agree and relate to watching your pennies and trying to save money whenever you can, you also can't expect to buy everything for $5 or $10 either...especially when no one else but one guy is producing a product that you want/need. Luckily, Micheal has graciously offered to make you one for free, but that is far from the "norm". If you wanna play, you gotta pay!

Joe's a great guy and his products are top-notch for sure, and even at the (to you) seemingly "outrageous" price of $38.50 I'm pretty sure he is not going to retire a rich man anytime soon making them when you figure (as Bob eluded to) the cost of materials, his time to make it, sending it out to get anodized, etc, etc...

I know it seems like I'm raggin' on ya, but I'm really not (at least that's not my intention) so I will apologize now in case you take it that way.

Oh, and btw...to my knowledge Joe's parts are made manually on a lathe, not an automated CNC...

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:40 pm 

rsterne wrote:
A Disco Gauge Block (the part that goes into the tube) is NOT threaded with 1/8" NPT threads, the Disco Gauge Adapter (the part that extends the gauge) seals into it with an O-ring and the threads are straight not tapered.... The female end of the adapter where the gauge fits is 1/8" NPT.... The PRod Gauge Block IS threaded 1/8" NPT because the gauge threads into it directly (no extender/adapter).... In addition, the through hole is larger than the Disco one, so the gun will deliver more power, especially if it is modified....

RE the price of custom machined parts and accessories, I get REALLY tired of guys not wanting to pay a decent rate for shop time and materials.... That is exactly why I refuse to make ANY parts for sale.... I don't mind working for myself for $1.00 an hour, but I won't do custom machine work for less than $20.00/hr. plus materials, and nobody wants to even pay that.... Somebody trying to make a living at it, and paying the bills, can't even afford to work at that rate....

Bob

Me too Bob!
What I have made and up for sale is at a good price. Glad I am a machinist for a living and can do the parts on breaks and lunch and after hours. I starved trying to make a living as a gunsmith after I got out of the Army. Working for someone else then working for myself, I just couldn't pay the bills and a mortgage.

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:29 am 

Joe's parts are made on manual machines, in small batches.... If they were done individually to order, you would never be able to afford one unless it was supplied unfinished, not anodized.... To suggest that CNC's allow the low cost production of specialized parts shows a complete lack of understanding of the process.... You still have to do the design and prototype work (that's the $1.00 per hour time I mentioned) and then buy a $50,000 - $100,000+ machine to make the parts, and you can spend that much again on tooling for it....

Guys wanting custom parts should stop complaining about the price, open their wallets, and keep their mouths shut, IMO.... Either that or leave their guns alone or make every single part themselves.... If you're not willing to work for peanuts yourself (at your work, not your hobby), don't b!tch....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:04 am 

rsterne wrote:
Joe's parts are made on manual machines, in small batches.... If they were done individually to order, you would never be able to afford one unless it was supplied unfinished, not anodized.... To suggest that CNC's allow the low cost production of specialized parts shows a complete lack of understanding of the process.... You still have to do the design and prototype work (that's the $1.00 per hour time I mentioned) and then buy a $50,000 - $100,000+ machine to make the parts, and you can spend that much again on tooling for it....

Guys wanting custom parts should stop complaining about the price, open their wallets, and keep their mouths shut, IMO.... Either that or leave their guns alone or make every single part themselves.... If you're not willing to work for peanuts yourself (at your work, not your hobby), don't b!tch....

Bob

Very well stated there Bob. :D :D
On average a custom exceeds an original by 50% and up from there. :shock: The more suited to fit a certain task or look the time involved can go up considerably.
The last few builds, repairs,kits that I did the owners were so pleased upon receiving that I was given a TIP for my services. Those are the people who have an understanding that a hobby all comes with a price. And yet to me it wasnt required, this is my unwind and been doing it over 20yrs. But I appreciate it. :drinkers: For it helps buy that little bit of extra tooling to make the next job better :mrgreen: . Puts the smile on my face from the otherside of the love of this sport. But then its JMHO.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:03 pm 

It's pretty hard to make money machining these days when other countries do it for way less and copy anything new... I am glad my two trade tickets are not related to tool and die...

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:31 pm 

DerekVinyard wrote:
It's pretty hard to make money machining these days when other countries do it for way less and copy anything new... I am glad my two trade tickets are not related to tool and die...

What are your Red seals?
Mine is Machinist, if you couldn't guess.....

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:51 am 

Electrician/millwright

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:25 pm 

DerekVinyard wrote:
Electrician/millwright

Millwright, is jack-of-all-trades! Very good Red Seal to have!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:33 pm 

I am an electrician foremost (troubleshooting controls and power), but not a master mechanic... I love machining for fun, just wouldn't want to do it for pay.
I thought you might be a toolie, your work is top notch. Our tool and die guys at work simply repair large dies.

rrdstarr wrote:
DerekVinyard wrote:
Electrician/millwright

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:04 pm 

DerekVinyard wrote:
I am an electrician foremost (troubleshooting controls and power), but not a master mechanic... I love machining for fun, just wouldn't want to do it for pay.
I thought you might be a toolie, your work is top notch. Our tool and die guys at work simply repair large dies.

rrdstarr wrote:
DerekVinyard wrote:
Electrician/millwright

Just not ticketed for Tool and Die!
I do probably two hours of my 12-14 hour shift making tooling.

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:16 pm 

Are you guys saying that a prod gauge port and gauge will fit in a Disco tube?? My extended end cap for the valve hasn't come yet, so I have a hole in tube or just wait for cap to get here. I want to put together now.

KWC 1911 Tac
Leapers UTG BB 3x12x32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:33 pm 

Yes, a PRod gauge port and gauge will fit in a Disco tube.... with the added advantage the gauge block has a much larger hole through it for the air to get to the valve.... Do NOT use the Disco gauge adapter that goes in between the Disco gauge block and the gauge, as they use an O-ring to seal into the Disco gauge block, which is different threads (3/8"-24).... The PRod gauge block, and both gauges, are 1/8"-NPT thread, and require Teflon tape to seal....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:37 am 

Thanks Bob!

KWC 1911 Tac
Leapers UTG BB 3x12x32

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:53 am 

These are the part no. I found...anyone confirm?

P Rod
Gauge Port - 1700-016
Gauge - 1763-033

KWC 1911 Tac
Leapers UTG BB 3x12x32