Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours


The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

 

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.








Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:07 am
Posts: 3320
Location: Central West River Nova Scotia
As mentioned in another post, I bought a disco tube from Gmac. That was before I was reminded that Grevel sells them cheaper. Any way. The tube was terrible. The finish was not blue, more a black. The entire length had sanding marks so deep you could have used it as a round file. Seriously. It felt and looked very rough. The threads for the fill cap were flat with barely visible threads. At first I thought they were super fine threads that I had never seen before, however when magnified with a light shone on them I could easily see they were not completely cut. Also they were deeper on one side and almost flush on the apposite side. The first 2 threads were damaged like someone tapped the tap in with a hammer then decided to hell with it and pounded it back out again.
to be honest I expected more from Gmac, as they are highly regarded by many modders. At least that, s what I assumed.

_________________
If I had only one wish, it would be to be able to "unsay" things.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:27 pm 
Offline
Supporting Member 2009
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:37 am
Posts: 3468
Location: Out There
There are multiple places to acquire tubes in Canada- by vendors that know what they're talking about to ensure you don't forget something- and if you got such a defect alot less cost in trying to return it.

-And at around $30.00 CAD, not 35BPS (roughly $68 at todays exchange rate).

Just saying...

_________________
www.scopesandammo.com/storefront



Please note: I do not conduct business through Private Messages (PM's) in online forums. Please do not send a 'PM" with a business-related question.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:07 am
Posts: 3320
Location: Central West River Nova Scotia
AirGunEric wrote:
There are multiple places to acquire tubes in Canada- by vendors that know what they're talking about to ensure you don't forget something- and if you got such a defect alot less cost in trying to return it.

-And at around $30.00 CAD, not 35BPS (roughly $68 at todays exchange rate).

Just saying...

I realize that now, and choked hard when I found out what they cost here, but it was too late. I, ve been a member here for over 2 years and should know better to ask here first. I won't make the same mistake again.

_________________
If I had only one wish, it would be to be able to "unsay" things.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:14 pm
Posts: 1343
Location: quebec
joe hickey wrote:
AirGunEric wrote:
There are multiple places to acquire tubes in Canada- by vendors that know what they're talking about to ensure you don't forget something- and if you got such a defect alot less cost in trying to return it.

-And at around $30.00 CAD, not 35BPS (roughly $68 at todays exchange rate).

Just saying...

I realize that now, and choked hard when I found out what they cost here, but it was too late. I, ve been a member here for over 2 years and should know better to ask here first. I won't make the same mistake again.


how could you :axe: hahjahahahaha
i undestand its not realy funny ,,,,,

even im in Quebec ''same province as Gravel'' i would prefer order from eric ''scope and amo'' for stock parts
gravel dont have the parts, he simply order it for you ,so return or etc,,,

we have good machinist too ,i know they make tube DerekVinyard and JEZX etc,,

now my question ,,whit that kind of bad threads for the fill cap ,,
is it as much stronger to hold 2000 psi ?

target man

_________________
9 mm cal,discovery pumper
.25 cal,crosman pumper


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:46 pm
Posts: 2815
Location: Canada
What did the folks at GMAC have to say about it? I assume you've already attempted to resolve this with them.

If the threads are suspect, I wouldn't use the tube...period.

Al


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:07 am
Posts: 3320
Location: Central West River Nova Scotia
target man wrote:
joe hickey wrote:
AirGunEric wrote:
There are multiple places to acquire tubes in Canada- by vendors that know what they're talking about to ensure you don't forget something- and if you got such a defect alot less cost in trying to return it.

-And at around $30.00 CAD, not 35BPS (roughly $68 at todays exchange rate).

Just saying...

I realize that now, and choked hard when I found out what they cost here, but it was too late. I, ve been a member here for over 2 years and should know better to ask here first. I won't make the same mistake again.


how could you :axe: hahjahahahaha
i undestand its not realy funny ,,,,,
That, s a good point. I was considering having it drilled and pinned. The fill cap end was very hard to screw in, I had to use a wrench, but was able to hold it , the tube, with my bare hand. I got some minor metal shaving,s, but the threads on both look ok. I guess I, ll have to take my chances.
even im in Quebec ''same province as Gravel'' i would prefer order from eric ''scope and amo'' for stock parts
gravel dont have the parts, he simply order it for you ,so return or etc,,,

we have good machinist too ,i know they make tube DerekVinyard and JEZX etc,,

now my question ,,whit that kind of bad threads for the fill cap ,,
is it as much stronger to hold 2000 psi ?

target man

_________________
If I had only one wish, it would be to be able to "unsay" things.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:07 am
Posts: 3320
Location: Central West River Nova Scotia
Gippeto wrote:
What did the folks at GMAC have to say about it? I assume you've already attempted to resolve this with them.

If the threads are suspect, I wouldn't use the tube...period.

Al
I did not contact them. I didn, t notice the bad threads until after I refinished the tube outer. I,f they want it back, it, s too late.sure wish I hadd taken pic, s.

_________________
If I had only one wish, it would be to be able to "unsay" things.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:49 am
Posts: 6029
Location: Victoria, BC and Clarkston, WA
Joe you should ask if you could get on DerekVineyard(Michael) list for Disco tubes he is making from scratch.

You can always cut the tube short and have some put new threads in it too!

_________________
-Rick
Pardini K10
Brocock Concept .22
3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:46 pm
Posts: 2815
Location: Canada
joe hickey wrote:
That, s a good point. I was considering having it drilled and pinned. The fill cap end was very hard to screw in, I had to use a wrench, but was able to hold it , the tube, with my bare hand. I got some minor metal shaving,s, but the threads on both look ok. I guess I, ll have to take my chances.


The threads were not good....but now they are??? :?

IMO, too risky to use it as is. Ricks suggestion of cut and thread properly is something worth considering if you cannot reach a satisfactory resolution with GMAC. If they sent you a faulty part, the onus should be on them to correct it...to the point of having you cut the tube in half, send a picture and upon verification....a full refund.

JMO

Al


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:14 pm
Posts: 1343
Location: quebec
joe hickey wrote:
Gippeto wrote:
What did the folks at GMAC have to say about it? I assume you've already attempted to resolve this with them.

If the threads are suspect, I wouldn't use the tube...period.

Al
I did not contact them. I didn, t notice the bad until after I refinished the tube outer. I,f they want it back, it, s too late.sure wish I had taken pic, s.


next time don't ask to the sellers,, for 'a cheap one'' :lol:

i was same time ,,, writing same tings,,,, ,cut it one inches,, etc,,,

target man

_________________
9 mm cal,discovery pumper
.25 cal,crosman pumper


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

phpBB SEO