Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:14 pm 

hey all,

there are two mods i haven't heard of before

shimming around inside of the piston with a pop can? why? to keep the spring from moving around during firing? would a very thin brass sheet work better?

rubber under the top hat? sound like a neat idea.

sub 500 .177 Hatsan mod 33 with Quattro trigger open sites

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:34 pm 

I cut a plastic bottle to make a sleeve for inside the piston and have never had one fail even after thousands of shots, as far as the rubber behind the tophat I don't think it would work as a vibration reducer very well if thats what it was intended to do.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:29 am 

Yes brass shim stock would work better, well more durable, than the popcan. It completely transformed my Phantom!! I see you have a Phantom too, give it a try! :D

Try either Gerard's technique or brass or popcan. With the brass shim stock, my set up looked like Gerard's. Without the end cap, and not fully around the spring. When I first tried the popcan, it does reach fully around and both sides touched. But was warned of the main spring tearing up the thin, fragile aluminum of the popcan.

So then I didn't want to risk it and bought some brass shim stock. But maybe non-PAL Phantom's spring won't be as harsh on the popcan?

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:32 am 

GarthThomas wrote:
I cut a plastic bottle to make a sleeve for inside the piston and have never had one fail even after thousands of shots, as far as the rubber behind the tophat I don't think it would work as a vibration reducer very well if thats what it was intended to do.

ive been using a thin piece of tefon with great success, smoothed her right out ;) whats been done to your tophat Garth it looks like it coated?

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:31 pm 

I wouldn't use alum, or brass for that matter. I've been using plastic from 2-liter soda bottles. It really smooths and quiets the spring, plus reduces friction and wear. Here's a couple pix from my do it yourself guide:

Attachments:
Sheath 2.JPG
Sheath 2.JPG [ 48.65 KiB | Viewed 1022 times ]
Sheath 1.JPG
Sheath 1.JPG [ 42.91 KiB | Viewed 1022 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:10 pm 

Chevota wrote:
I wouldn't use alum, or brass for that matter. I've been using plastic from 2-liter soda bottles. It really smooths and quiets the spring, plus reduces friction and wear. Here's a couple pix from my do it yourself guide:

Actually the 2L pop bottle is the next best and cheapest compared to maching one. Wrapped over a wooden dowel held in palce with rubber bands. Run under hot tap water for a few minutes and then place in the fridge. Yea I know dont let the wife see you that. It will mold itself very well for your desired application.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:46 pm 

cool thanks guys.
so it helps with vibration?

sub 500 .177 Hatsan mod 33 with Quattro trigger open sites

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:02 pm 

Removes the excess play, helping to remove the vibration. Combined with a little moly tar. Smooth is a descriptive word I would use.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:11 pm 

Whitewolf wrote:
place in the fridge. Yea I know dont let the wife see you that.

quickreply7789 wrote:
so it helps with vibration?

*coffee spit*

Sorry, I lost it there for a moment.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:55 am 

Yes it helps with vibration a lot, but it's not the only mod you can do. The pix I posted dies not tell the whole story of what I do. I also make then fit so tight it's as if they're bonded to the piston and other stuff I consider important. This method is to reduce noise and vibration without using Tar. Tar kills power so I did this to keep it. If you don't care about power then Tar is certainly easier and makes it quieter.
If you want the full details it's in my tuning guide, if you want it write me at chevota at hotmail com. It's full of other mods for break-barrels too. That goes for anyone who wants it.
Not sure what Whitewolf meant with the dowel and fridge...

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:57 am 

Its just done as an easy way out to reduce the lubricant escaping from the spring.

Springs expand when compressed!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:01 am 

I bought a BSA Goldstar 20 year ago, that came with a various rubbers and shot a lot better than the regarded TX200.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:49 pm 

I use a thin rubber washer between tophat and piston, it does seem to cut down on mechanical noise, a shim over the spring insulates the spring from the piston wall, not all guns have room for one but quite a few lads over here use 0.25mm acetate sheet. A properly fitted spring guide and tophat will work wonders though.
Regards
Tim