Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:06 am 

Is it necessary to have a backstop for shooting under 500 FPS pellet guns? I shoot them through the target and into a field that is open as far as you can see, so there's no chance of hitting anyone. Would you consider that safe or should I be in the market for a pellet backstop/trap?

Also, what would be the best holder for 8.5 x 11 inch targets? I recently started printing my own. 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:41 am 

If its your own property I'd say it only depends on if you want to prevent the lead from contaminating your land or not

I use a target stand that I got at Princess Auto, works good for me

Crosman 2240
Daisy 953
Ruger Green Mountain Laminate 10/22+Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
1950 Russian SKS
Remington 783 30-06 Hawke Vantage 6-24x44 SF

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:04 pm 

If you are 100% sure that there is nothing going on back there, Ever, then continue.
But most people try to be "Safe than ?"
It is like setting off "Explosive", a Loud Blast of a Air Horn and a Voice Yelling "Clear" and then shooting starts.
Same as on the Golf Course/BaseBall field..."Four/Heads Up".

Oh do not forget...Ricochet...Safety Glasses.

Arsenal..
Kraft Marshmallow Pump and Shoot Rifle.
GoodYear Gatling Gun rubber-band shooter.
PEI Potato PCP Rifle.

Glass ..12" Dobsonian Reflector.
Shooting for the Stars.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:03 pm 

A lot of it comes down to perception too. If for any reason someone complains, and the police come around, it's likely to go better if you have made obvious attempts to ensure a safe shooting environment. Doesn't have to be fancy to be effective - a piece of plywood supported by a couple of stakes is enough to show willing.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:16 pm 

1/8" steel sells for about $123 for a 4'x8' sheet (an industrial supply shop cut, and sold me a 6" x 9" piece for $1.70).

You can design yourself a plywood box or just a pallet with a 45 degree back and line it with steel (the wood deadens the "ping" sound).

I just bring this up because often people don't think of going to industrial suppliers. As long as you aren't too anal with your measurements (as in measuring stuff to the 1/64" or XX.xxxx degrees ) you can get stuff pretty cheap. Of course if you are willing to pay for perfection, well then the sky is the limit.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:42 pm 

For a backstop, I just get a cardboard box (a small/medium one) and I tape a paper target onto the open side of the box. Then I stuff the box with a few old shirts that I don't use anymore. Works great, i've never had a pellet/bb go through the box yet.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:10 am 

I use my Metal traps but have a piece of 3/4" ply behind it just in case someone shoots with me! On top of the plywood I have a ratty old piece of canvas that really knocks down the sound if some hits the plywood. Duct seal in the trap to muffle the pellet strikes!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:51 pm 

I just realized that an old garbage burning pile here would make a great mound for shooting into! It's low compared to most shooting mounds, but it should work just fine! :mrgreen:

2240mod wrote:
If you are 100% sure that there is nothing going on back there, Ever, then continue.
But most people try to be "Safe than ?"
It is like setting off "Explosive", a Loud Blast of a Air Horn and a Voice Yelling "Clear" and then shooting starts.
Same as on the Golf Course/BaseBall field..."Four/Heads Up".

Oh do not forget...Ricochet...Safety Glasses.

Good point, I should look into buying or making a pellet trap. And yes, I have a pair of shooting glasses just for this. 8)

EverHopeful wrote:
A lot of it comes down to perception too. If for any reason someone complains, and the police come around, it's likely to go better if you have made obvious attempts to ensure a safe shooting environment. Doesn't have to be fancy to be effective - a piece of plywood supported by a couple of stakes is enough to show willing.

That's very unlikely, both of the closest neighbors shoot powder burners. But you're right about that.

rrdstarr wrote:
I use my Metal traps but have a piece of 3/4" ply behind it just in case someone shoots with me! On top of the plywood I have a ratty old piece of canvas that really knocks down the sound if some hits the plywood. Duct seal in the trap to muffle the pellet strikes!

Where can you buy duct seal? And what trap do you use?

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:42 pm 

Champion brand trap from AirGun Source.
Duct Seal from Home Hardware.

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:30 am 

rrdstarr wrote:

How thick should the duct seal be to stop under 500 FPS pellets? It looks like it's sold in 1Lb sticks, so how many should be used?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:59 am 

trekking95 wrote:
rrdstarr wrote:

How thick should the duct seal be to stop under 500 FPS pellets? It looks like it's sold in 1Lb sticks, so how many should be used?

Split them in two or butterfly the clay. Usually two pieces cover most metal traps!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:51 am 

Like Rick said, you won't need a lot of thickness for sub-500fps. My Baikal 46m shooting at 460fps puts pellets into new duct seal about the length of the pellet, so the back is flush with the surface. My Pardini K12 running slightly faster but still <500fps puts them maybe 1mm deeper. As the duct seal gets used more and bits of paper get embedded it gradually hardens, pellets go less and less deep into it, until eventually they just bounce off with lower power airguns. Of course if you let lead build up you'll go through a lot more duct seal changes. I pick mine out after every session and move the putty around to level it again. Makes it last a long, long time.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:36 pm 

I recently did experiments with a tire as a backstop. From 40m with a gun that was shooting 800fps at the muzzle I was surprised to see that the pellets completely flatten (with much less fragmentation than when hitting steel) and bounce back about 10cm. There's just a smudge on the tire from each pellet strike. I'm well aware with the safety issues with shooting low velocity bullets at tires, but I'm guessing that we're dealing with such little energy and such malleable projectiles that there isn't enough energy left for a ricochet after the pellet deforms. Food for thought...

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:49 pm 

Well I have 495 riffle and have shoot trough a half inch ply and now my shed guess I should have moved the target around lol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:48 pm 

In my indoor ranges I use metal junction boxes (holding target on with the ceramic magnets from HD) with duct seals (which needs a cleanout) or a great wooden trap/target box with denim in it that Thumper makes. Behind them is also hanging car floor matts from the liquidation world or cheep rubber floor mats like at home depot.

At the farm outdoors I literally shoot a the board side of the barn... depending where I place the target I am shooting dirt, old silo concrete foundation or 3 foot thick stone foundation and plywood over the nearest window just in case.

Hope this helps.

Always better safe than ... well not safe really... no need to wait for sorry... usually to late.

http://plinkercases.ca/