Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:58 pm 

See the following link for information and pictures about disassembly and tuning of HW97 http://www.capeairrifle.co.za/Downloads ... nstall.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:40 pm 

Also good info here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 5247,d.aWw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:05 pm 

Here is something better and these people know what they are doing..HW77 same Sibling as HW97...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mwpkwKViTw

Arsenal..
Kraft Marshmallow Pump and Shoot Rifle.
GoodYear Gatling Gun rubber-band shooter.
PEI Potato PCP Rifle.

Glass ..12" Dobsonian Reflector.
Shooting for the Stars.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:40 pm 

2240mod wrote:
Here is something better and these people know what they are doing..HW77 same Sibling as HW97...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mwpkwKViTw

For another view on whether "these people know what they are doing," see http://www.ftcentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=627

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:01 pm 

A Whole Heap IMHO is just NitPicking...Hitting sight with Screw-Driver Handle..As opposed to What?
Laying of Rifle Stock down on working bench..as opposed to wrapping it in "Bubble Wrap and Foam" and Tucking it in bed.
Some one said that the Leather Wrap plus spring steel wrapped around trigger Asm. is "Harsh".
May be it is better to remove the "Trigger Group" and inserting a Wrench wrapped in wool into the trigger cavity and "Smacking it" loose is Best.
May have thought that everyone would complain about the piece of wood he used to "Back Out" the "Main Spring".

Have read in this Forum, that they are people who used their "Body Weight as a Spring Compressor".
There is more than one way of "Cleaning Cat Fish"!
Do it the way you are most Comfortable with(Safety is a Good thing).

Arsenal..
PEI Potato PCP Rifle.

Shooting for the Stars.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:47 pm 

2240mod wrote:
A Whole Heap IMHO is just NitPicking...Hitting sight with Screw-Driver Handle..As opposed to What?
Laying of Rifle Stock down on working bench..as opposed to wrapping it in "Bubble Wrap and Foam" and Tucking it in bed.
Some one said that the Leather Wrap plus spring steel wrapped around trigger Asm. is "Harsh".
May be it is better to remove the "Trigger Group" and inserting a Wrench wrapped in wool into the trigger cavity and "Smacking it" loose is Best.
May have thought that everyone would complain about the piece of wood he used to "Back Out" the "Main Spring".

Have read in this Forum, that they are people who used their "Body Weight as a Spring Compressor".
There is more than one way of "Cleaning Cat Fish"!
Do it the way you are most Comfortable with(Safety is a Good thing).

Maybe it is just me, but I am a bit nit-picky when it comes to my quality guns and how they are handled. I want the guy working on my guns to be nit-picky as well.

From you comments, it would seem you have extensive experience with tuning these fine guns and yet you endorse a video with obvious shortcomings. I would never send my guns to a guy that works like that fellow did. Not everything you read or view on the internet and forums is the best information. Sometimes when you endorse these things, it points to shortcomings in your own first-hand knowledge.

The fellow that wrote the post that Penage Guy put the link in for, has an amazing amount of experience and knowledge. He is nit-picky to the extreme when it comes to fine airguns and that is exactly why I send mine to him.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:12 am 

All well and good, but have you been to a Up-Class Eatery/Restaurant and have a "Great Meal", but the only thing you
can be sure of is how the "Food gets to you".
You have no "Direct View" of what is going on in the Kitchen.
Yes, you know the report of this Restaurant being awarded Five Star by "Michelin".
But it is still "Incumbent on the Visitor, to treat the Food Servers Nicely" or thing do happen, away from seeing eyes.
Also, the "End User" should be diligent and do inspect the "Product when it is Received" and be 'Meticulous".

Oh, Thank You(Mr. Tim MacSweyn, Canadian Airgun Field Target Association, Governor, AKA - Science Teacher 'Great profession') for the Compliment/Or Dig; "Sometimes when you endorse these things, it points to shortcomings in your own first-hand knowledge."

Arsenal..
PEI Potato PCP Rifle.

Shooting for the Stars.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:51 am 

2240mod wrote:
All well and good, but have you been to a Up-Class Eatery/Restaurant and have a "Great Meal", but the only thing you
can be sure of is how the "Food gets to you".
You have no "Direct View" of what is going on in the Kitchen.
Yes, you know the report of this Restaurant being awarded Five Star by "Michelin".
But it is still "Incumbent on the Visitor, to treat the Food Servers Nicely" or thing do happen, away from seeing eyes.
Also, the "End User" should be diligent and do inspect the "Product when it is Received" and be 'Meticulous".

Oh, Thank You(Mr. Tim MacSweyn, Canadian Airgun Field Target Association, Governor, AKA - Science Teacher 'Great profession') for the Compliment/Or Dig; "Sometimes when you endorse these things, it points to shortcomings in your own first-hand knowledge."

You ever been to a nice country restaurant, where the food is prepared right in front of you? In fact I have been asked to help on occasion when having my guns repaired, to hold this or pass me that. There is no big gun vault or fancy equipment like in the video. There is a very clean bench to work on, bins to put parts in and cloth or paper towels to clean parts or to keep parts on so they do not get dirty or marked. The stock is usually placed back into the gun case where it is well protected. While my gun is being repaired, there is a running commentary on what to look for, what can be missed or may fly off the gun if proper precautions are not taken. There is a proper spring compressor made by the air gunsmith and when you watch, you know he has done this many, many times before.

Quite frankly, there are a lot of end users that receive their guns back and have no idea what to look for when inspecting their gun. They load it, shoot it and are happy if it works, much like people are when they pick up their car from a repair shop and the problem they had no longer exists.

The comment about endorsing things was definitely a "dig" and if you actually do know me, you would know that. That does not reduce the accuracy of the statement and I hope that is what you would take away from it. I endorse Len, because I have looked over his shoulder on so many occasions, that I am completely confident in his ability. Repair and tuning is the easy stuff he does; he made an entire gun and has fabricated numerous part for guns that no longer have parts available.

As to exposing who I am, I have never worried about that and there are many folks on this form who know who I am, what I do and even where I live.

Glad you have an interest in air guns and I hope you stick with it and continue to learn as I have and still do. Hope we can meet some day and do some shooting and have a few laughs.