Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: New personal best
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:53 am 

I've been plugging away at tuning up my 2240 and it's shooting pretty nicely now. I finally managed a new personal best last night at GTAC. I need to go through all the targets and double check my scoring, but provisionally it's looking like 546 out of 600, up from my previous best of 543. I managed to avoid any major disasters that normally plague my attempts at a 60 shot session, and had a couple of lucky breaks with badly executed shots that still scored well. The highlight was groups four and five. I was shooting groups of six per target with two targets per sheet of paper, and looking at these now I realize I put one shot in the wrong side. So this is 5 shots on the left and 7 on the right. The left is 49/50 and the right is kind of tough to score, but might be 66, 67 or 68 out of 70. I need to lay some pellets on there and try and work out if the two shots at bottom left broke the 10 line or not.

Attachment:
File comment: 5 shots left, 7 shots right (oops). 10m 1 handed, open sights, .177 H&N sport
groups-Jun16-14.jpeg
groups-Jun16-14.jpeg [ 58.19 KiB | Viewed 1017 times ]

It's nice to move up the PB, but being consistent would probably be more valuable - the previous week I only managed 528, pulled down by a 45/60 disaster group. Still, it sure would be nice to break 550 at some point :) :) :)

Jim

Post subject: Re: New personal best
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:32 am 

Well done James! And that's without a HW75!! just imagine.........

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:36 am 

Plinkercases wrote:
Well done James! And that's without a HW75!! just imagine.........

Problem is, once the imagination gets going, it runs rampant. Steyr LP10 maybe? If only I could win the lottery. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:19 am 

EverHopeful wrote:
I need to lay some pellets on there and try and work out if the two shots at bottom left broke the 10 line or not.

You might consider getting an Eagle Eye or a card scorer. I've not tried the card, but the Eagle Eye works great in clearing up doubtful shots, makes it obvious. Apparently some officials frown upon them because shifting eye position can slightly shift apparent location of the line over the paper... but I doubt that has merit. Still, I made a simple opaque insert for mine with a 1/4" hole above the scoring circle for .177" so the relative position of the eye cannot change.

Nice groups there. It's all about consistent groups, not consistent scores. Get those tighter all the time and they'll drift into the 10 ring almost by themselves over time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:26 am 

Great shooting James! I'm glad you posted up those fine results!

AND thanks for the "blowback action pistol blaze away at the bad guy till the mag is empty" session last night!!! It's cool that our GTAC range nights continue to evolve!!!

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:42 pm 

Thanks guys. The scoring gauge looks like a really nifty device - I've put it on the wish list.

The spray & pray session was way too much fun, and a neat way to unwind after the slow fire. I'm fighting the urge to add a steel force to the shopping list for ripping up those targets :)

And finishing up with the condor was just icing on the cake. Maybe I'll bring a rifle next week for a change of pace :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:00 pm 

Someday I hope to stay late enough for the action shooting fun.

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:42 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:
Thanks guys. The scoring gauge looks like a really nifty device - I've put it on the wish list.

The spray & pray session was way too much fun, and a neat way to unwind after the slow fire. I'm fighting the urge to add a steel force to the shopping list for ripping up those targets :)

And finishing up with the condor was just icing on the cake. Maybe I'll bring a rifle next week for a change of pace :)

James I see there is a smartphone app too. It was up in the scrolling ads on CAF a couple weeks ago.
I have always used the Rig scoring gauges, because that is what I grew up with in Olympic shooting and my Army days!

I am amazed you are getting such high scores with a 2240! Do you have a picture of your setup and what you have had done to the pistol?

Imagine what you could do with a proper match pistol!?!?!?

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:27 pm 

Quote:
I am amazed you are getting such high scores with a 2240! Do you have a picture of your setup and what you have had done to the pistol?

Imagine what you could do with a proper match pistol!?!?!?

Hi Rick,

I've been meaning to post some new pics of the work done on the 2240, I don't think I've put anything up since it was still wearing a red dot - topic55142.html

Most of the recent work has been internal, it has a lightweight aluminium hammer with an adjustable steel striker so that I can tune the valve lift against the stacked o-ring buffer (is that called a Bstaley buffer or something like that?) and an all new trigger/drop sear arrangement based on a simplified p-rod setup. The trigger has 2-stage adjustments and a solid aluminium blade (it's a bit of an ugly lump, truth be told, but it works). The breech is lined so that 177 pellets feed smoothly and can't get fouled on the breech screw or the cone on the barrel. It has the Williams notch sight and the most recent addition was a new air stripper with a closer tolerance cone than the previous one. I dread to think how many hours have gone into the thing, it's been a bit of an obsession. I'm sure that the time and money would have been better spent on buying a quality gun and practising my shooting, but I love to make things, and air gun tinkering just really hits the spot for me.

My next project is to try and make a new breech - I'd like the bolt to be on the left and I'm hoping to take a bit of the weight out of the gun by going with aluminium instead of steel. Longer term (pipe dreams?) I'd like to try a bolt-less breech design and going to pcp instead of CO2.

It's an interesting question as to whether a better gun would make much difference to the scores. I've tried a couple of quality guns at the club, and over 5 to 10 shots they do seem to be noticeably better. But I suspect the main factor over a course of 60 shots is me, not the gun. It's down to concentration and avoiding the major mistakes I think.

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:40 am 

Jim , thanks for pegging my memory. I read through the old thread and my brain is up to speed!
Very nice that you have done most of the work yourself!
Your right, 90% is you 10% is the gun and ammo.

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:38 pm 

Nice shooting Rick.........John