Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Hunter field target
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:24 am 

There are more than a few different rules for that one. So I went on the World Hunter Field target's website. When you start your round, there are no focusing or clicking allowed on your scope. Further more on scopes, max power is 10 power scope. On positions, basic 4 positions are allowed, prone, sitting, kneeling, and standing. On the targets, they can use any reducer at any yardage from 25 mm to 45 mm. From 8y to 47y.

Interesting how these rules differ from ours.

Biagio

Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 48.91 KiB | Viewed 1366 times ]

Post subject: Re: Hunter field target
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:42 am 

No focusing seems overkill

Crosman 2240
Daisy 953
Ruger Green Mountain Laminate 10/22+Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
1950 Russian SKS
Remington 783 30-06 Hawke Vantage 6-24x44 SF

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:22 pm 

From what I gather, is that you have your focus set at 25y, and the further the target the more blury it is, and the same for closer. With more experience shooting like that, it will give you more of an idea how far the target is, without using your mil dots to determine distance.

I recently bought a Bushnell Tactical LRS 10 x40 fixed power with mil dots, with no paralax or bell end focus. From what I gather, is this scope is fairly popular in HFT Crowds.

Biagio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:24 pm 

Biagio?

Is it .177 and .22 only for hunter class?

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:42 pm 

It would be so much easier if everyone used the same rules !!! Why re-invent the wheel ? In HFT you also have a "pin" that some part of your body must touch when you are shooting a target.

We don't even use the same HFT rules as the USA. I have set up a TX200 as an HFT gun and am looking forward to shooting a few matches in the HFT class.

Air Arms FTP900
Air Arms TX200 MK III
CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:47 pm 

Two different classes .22 and .177 , I did a bit of reading, in WHFT there is only one class .177. I imagine that in North America we all have a different idea what HFT is. The only thing that bogs my mind a little. HFT is suppose to simulate hunting scenario. If you were hunting out there with a sub 12 fp gun, you will find a thing to sit on, instead of lying down with your face in the dirt. You will have some stick or something to brace your gun, right.

Just a thought

Biagio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:54 pm 

You do know that WHFT broke away from regular FT because they thought the two were incompatible. We barely have enough FT shooters in Canada, with all three divisions, to have really well attended matches. Some areas do not even have formal matches.

If the WHFT rules were applied to our Hunter Division in Canada, it would mean the WFTF and Open Division would have to split away and have matches on their own. Once we have thousands of Hunter style shooters, maybe the WHFT rules can be used in a separate sport. At present, our courses are too difficult for WHFT rules and that is why we allow 16X scopes, backless stools, unattached monopods, etc. Hunter courses are too easy for the open and WFTF divisions. We have an all hunter division match once a year in Port and it is a great time, since no range finding, clicking, harnesses, etc are able to be used.

What we need in Canada right now are people who understand that we need a course of fire that is appropriate to all divisions to get good turnouts at matches. We need clubs to work within the rules to build a shooter base in their area that allows people to enjoy the FT match experience. I like plinking and target shooting as much as the next guy, but the whole experience of a FT match is what inspired me to create CAFTA, has kept me active in the sport and has kept me advocating for the sport since 1999.

Dennis and I used the "build it and they will come" attitude to form the Port Club and I think Dave and Brian did the same thing at the Ottawa Club. Get those lanes set up and have matches, even if you only have a few lanes. Not everyone that tries it will be hooked, but the ones that are will be back and willing to help.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:01 am 

Very true Tim.

This weekend will be our biggest shoot ever. More people are coming to try it out.

All I know, it's going to be a fun weekend

Biagio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:03 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Mac wrote:
Dennis and I used the "build it and they will come" attitude to form the Port Club and I think Dave and Brian did the same thing at the Ottawa Club. Get those lanes set up and have matches, even if you only have a few lanes. Not everyone that tries it will be hooked, but the ones that are will be back and willing to help.

I couldn't have said it better myself Tim. You and Dennis were the genesis of today's Field Target in Canada. Yes there was a club that did hold matches before Port, but unfortunately that died away and was created in a fashion that was a bit to customized for the core shooters who participated there.

What most people don't realize is the many hours the CAFTA board of governors spent (with Tim at the forefront) developing Canada's FT rules, then registering and complying with the World Field Target Federation (WFTF) to put Canada on the map 'officially'. All of our rules are very well thought out, based on Canadian FT shooters experience shooting in the US and at WFTF World Championships.

The current rules really do fit the Canadian FT landscape well, and are primarily designed with attracting new shooters to the sport. For example: We allow laser range finders in the Open class, and are the only country (to my knowledge) that do this.

Why? It allows you to use an inexpensive scope, add a $79 laser range finder, and be competitive with guys using $5,000 scopes. I've seen QBs, and own a .22 Discovery, that are as accurate and consistent as my $3k Steyr. For less than $500, you can put together a used complete FT rig that's as competitive as the $10k ones. I've seen it time and time again in both the US and Canada.

We also allow the use of higher stools and bipods in the Open class - so people with trouble sitting down and holding a rifle can still be competitive.

In some areas, other countries are considering adapting rules we developed here: Typically during a shoot off, competitors shoot at the same target, one after the other. What if the wind is blowing hard for the first shooter, but dies down for the second? We developed a few 'shoot off specific' targets that are identical and allow all the competitors to shoot at the same time, in the same wind conditions. This also eliminates the possibility of a target malfunction between shooters.

FINALLY - don't forget about the guys who show up 2 hours before a match to setup lanes - with their own personal targets - then stay afterwards to tear them down. They pay the same match fees as others who just show up and shoot, and are responsible to paint and repair their targets and reset lines before the next match.

So in summary - "build it and they will come" :D