Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: GSG-92 Disassembly
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:03 pm 

Hi there everybody,

I was just wondering out of all the GSG-92 owners, if any have been brave enough to disassemble their pistol and successfully reassemble it.
Any detailed pictures or tips would be VERY handy and much appreciated.

I plan to strip the paint and either sandblast or polish the entire pistol.

So far I've been studying a blowup diagram for some time now (attached)

Post subject: Re: GSG-92 Disassembly
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:23 pm 

There are lots of photos on the web of them polished. You should be able to find some here.
The Umarex boys forum seems very big on tearing down pistols and polishing them. Wrong brand, but they do it all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:58 pm 

Find gunzlaw he polished his to a mirror finish (the fool sold the thing... he regrets it now) one of the best made ones I've seen.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:21 am 

DocGadget wrote:
Find gunzlaw he polished his to a mirror finish (the fool sold the thing... he regrets it now) one of the best made ones I've seen.

Lol yeah I read about that a while ago - that was a beauty piece of work and the youtube vid really shows off the finish. I've contacted him in hopes to get a reply - I saw a photo of the complete stripdown but I'm just wondering the procedure of reassembling especially when it comes to the springs and such.

One tip I'll be taking is to disassemble in a big freezer ziplock bag in case I lose a spring or something.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:16 pm 

Semper 5 wrote:
DocGadget wrote:

Lol yeah I read about that a while ago - that was a beauty piece of work and the youtube vid really shows off the finish. I've contacted him in hopes to get a reply - I saw a photo of the complete stripdown but I'm just wondering the procedure of reassembling especially when it comes to the springs and such.

One tip I'll be taking is to disassemble in a big freezer ziplock bag in case I lose a spring or something.

:D thanks Doc !
For the procedure to take it down.. i dont know how to explain i just had luck to not loosing pieces ! And for the paint strip-off i used a scotch brite pad ( brown ones than red ..) good luck in your project ! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:03 pm 

I would strip it with paint stripper rather than sanding. Will save a lot of work and scratches.
Polish on a buffing wheel or with fine wet sandpaper then buffing wheel.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:44 am 

Gunzlaw wrote:
For the procedure to take it down.. i dont know how to explain i just had luck to not loosing pieces ! And for the paint strip-off i used a scotch brite pad ( brown ones than red ..) good luck in your project ! :wink:

Thanks for the advice Gunzlaw. Yeah, every time I look at all those springs and pins I get a little intimidated haha. Well, it shouldn't be too hard - I repair laptops and electronics on a daily basis - the key is remembering which part came before which and the screws involved :P

paddyfritz wrote:
I would strip it with paint stripper rather than sanding. Will save a lot of work and scratches.
Polish on a buffing wheel or with fine wet sandpaper then buffing wheel.

Yeah I was considering a paint stripper. I have this stuff called Aircraft Coating Remover I used for when I repainted my car's valve cover. Though I think that might be overkill since the paint on the gun can easily be taken off with a scotchbrite, and also I don't know how such a strong solvent will react against aluminum. What are your thoughts? Although I'll definitely be using my dremel polish wheel and maybe use the wire brush wheel after the first paint stripping.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:55 pm 

X2 for the paint stripper. That's what I did on my polished parts too, it's cuts down on polishing time. When you polish it you can go down to jewelers rouge, it will give you a mirror finish.

For the disassembly, the only advice I can you is from Mike at Replica Airguns, take it appart in a ziploc bag! You zip one part until it's snug around your wrist and cut a whole on the side just big enough for your hand to fit and tada! No flying springs and small parts (yes I'm talking about you Crosman 22XX safety ball)

Good luck!

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:11 am 

DocGadget wrote:
X2 for the paint stripper. That's what I did on my polished parts too, it's cuts down on polishing time. When you polish it you can go down to jewelers rouge, it will give you a mirror finish.

Again, thanks everybody for the advice, and now I have a good battle plan:
1. Industrial paint stripper (safe for metals, glass, stone - bought @ CT $10)
2. 2000 grit wet sandpaper
3. Jeweler's rouge (bought a bar for $5 @ local jewellery store) & dremel w/ polishing wheel

DocGadget wrote:

For the disassembly, the only advice I can you is from Mike at Replica Airguns, take it appart in a ziploc bag! You zip one part until it's snug around your wrist and cut a whole on the side just big enough for your hand to fit and tada! No flying springs and small parts (yes I'm talking about you Crosman 22XX safety ball)

Good luck!

I think I read this advice verbatim from you in another thread and thought "That's a damn good idea" especially since Gunzlaw mentioned there's a small ball bearing behind the safety lever that's sure to shoot out once you take it apart.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:09 pm 

Semper 5 wrote:
DocGadget wrote:

Again, thanks everybody for the advice, and now I have a good battle plan:
1. Industrial paint stripper (safe for metals, glass, stone - bought @ CT $10)
2. 2000 grit wet sandpaper
3. Jeweler's rouge (bought a bar for $5 @ local jewellery store) & dremel w/ polishing wheel

DocGadget wrote:

Good luck!

I think I read this advice verbatim from you in another thread and thought "That's a damn good idea" especially since Gunzlaw mentioned there's a small ball bearing behind the safety lever that's sure to shoot out once you take it apart.

You can also take pics as you go along to be sure of what goes where.