Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:40 pm 

That is the question on a lot of people's mind's. Well this morning I decided to see what the difference is. For the test. I used the same gun AT44 .22 cal. The same pellets. 15.5 gr Crossman hp. The same valve . The tubes were different, but the same volume. The regulated tube has a vent hole, so it couldn't be used without the regulator. In the tube without the regulator, I placed a block of teflon approximately the same volume in cc's as the regulator. the hammer was turned all the way in and the regulator was set for 90 bar approx 1300 psi.
With the regulator.. the blue line on the graph, I started at 696 fps and ended at 701 fps.. 93 shots extreme spread for the entire string was 61 fps, a high of 757 fps and a low of 696 ,The high fps happened after the cut off point of the regulator around shot #83. from 200 bar down to 55 bar..18 foot pound energy avg...1.28 fpe/ci efficiency.
Without the regulator.. the red line on the graph,,I started at 513 fps,, and ended at 698 fps, with a high of , 871 fps, 116 shots, extreme spread 358 fps. from 200 bar ,, down to 35 bar ( I still can't believe 698 fps with 35 Bar pressure )...16 foot pounds...1.25 fpe/ci.
As the graph indicates, you may get more shots non regulated, but the energy and accuracy will suffer greatly. The answer to regulate or not, depends on what you want to do with your gun. If you intend to field hunt and probably only fire 10 or 20 shots, then the sweet spot of your gun will not vary enough in speed/power, to require a regulator. If you intent to field target compete where you may fire 70 to 100 shots in a match, then regulated is definitely the way to go. IN MY OPINION OF COURSE. And sorry for the graph. I still don't know how to use excel well enough to import the graph, so I printed it on several pages then photographed it. :oops: Dont laugh.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:02 pm 

First of all, congratulations on achieving a decent tune with the regulator.... The rise in velocity after the setpoint is reached indicates that your hammer strike is a bit light for the setpoint pressure, but the fact it isn't going up much indicates you are very close to optimum.... The way you have it tuned you will get slightly more efficiency and more shots, just less power and the bump in the curve....

The shot string without the regulator isn't really indicative of what the gun can do, it just shows what it is doing tuned the way you have it.... The first half of the unregulated shot string is really unusable, you should be either filling the gun to a lower pressure or retuning it to take advantage of the extra power available.... If you lined the peaks of the shot strings up, you would find them occurring at about the same pressure.... under 90 bar....

Bo

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:06 pm 

Thanks for taking the time to do that Joe. Very interesting!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:26 pm 

I am going to regulate my AA 410
When Walter gets freed up a bit of time
Looking forward to it
Brian