Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:01 am 

I just spoke to the OPP detachment and we are OK to have a farm FT day on our land with proper care and control. They may drop by with a chronie... I will let them know when we are getting together.

So next will be select a weekend. Yup it will be a sleep over event for those who want to. Tent City and a porta potty for ya'll.. and a hose.

Stay tuned members and friends of GTAC.

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:16 pm 

Sounds cool, I'll check my tent this weekend to make sure it works
Are we allowed our PAL guns with our licences?

Crosman 2240
Daisy 953
Ruger Green Mountain Laminate 10/22+Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
1950 Russian SKS
Remington 783 30-06 Hawke Vantage 6-24x44 SF

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:44 pm 

I am not sure I would want the OPP anywhere near.
If it's legal to shoot on your land you don't need their "permission"or "OK" ( though it may save you some trouble if a rubbernecker calls in)
Your property is "private" but by inviting them onto your property you are giving them permission to "look around" your belongings and anyone else's who attends.
Having them(uniformed OPP) on-site will put a damper on your shoot. Participants are going to be wondering if they are legal in all regards at all times while in attendance.(or at least it will be in the back of their minds)
Involving the OPP in any shooting activity is asking for potential headaches.(pessimistic attitude,maybe, but it's the way I feel)
I speak from experience, as a former PB gun club executive(1990's).(we had to rent our range to them for their yearly qualifications etc.)
JMHO.
p.s. I hope you have a successful and fun shoot despite my misgivings.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:17 pm 

To Mike - Yes

TO Flyr - the answer to Mike is yes because they asked about the category of guns and who has PALs. And in response I said there were higher power guns coming with PAL holders and I told them we are very strict when self policing but of course they can check fro themsleves.. hardly and invitation. And the reason for my asking and informing them is exactly due to the drive by rubberneckers (the road is the route to rental fishing cabins with lots of tourist traffic.) and if they know what we are going then they (OPP) will not roll. He basically said it was none of their concern and cant be worse than hunting season where "bullets are flying all over at the edge of town".

Personally I have nothing to hide so they can ask me anything and it is up to the participants as to who they purport himself with the LEO.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:43 pm 

To Plinkercases,
Fair enough.
While I too have "nothing to hide" I do my best to avoid unneeded scrutiny.
I am sure everything will be fine.
I hope you and all participants have a great day.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:01 pm 

Flyr all good thanks.
We all decide on our own comfort level of transparency etc....
My experience has been that my old conscience/ego will still make me fell guilty even when I am clearly not
Funny how I haven't been drunk behind the wheel for over 10 years and still get palpitations when I cruiser pulls in behind... But don't mind ride checks anymore .. I guess I am better with them on front of me than behind! duh ...
We will certainly keep folks up to date on the deal. Looks like September.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:25 pm 

They've been invited by your own words, Plinker - " but of course they can check for themselves." Everyone there, will be recorded, bet on that - "PAPERS!!" It is unfortunate you contacted them. I do not see that as a positive move. I was a policeman a LONG time ago and know how many of them thought - back then about people and guns. They are very much worse now, anti-gun wise, than when I wore the uniform. Give them an inch and you have another High River episode.
They do NOT have jurisdiction to submit anyone to a chronograph on private land. They must have a Warrant for that and they may now just show up with one as they also know they need it.

If/when they arrive, you can ask them to leave - may or may not work - oh well.
my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:06 pm 

Not to foment argument, but it seems to me that by giving the local constabulary a courtesy heads up about gun-toting people gathering at chez Plinkercases will do more to circumvent unwanted police interference. They know what's going on and as a result can better deal with any concerned citizenry who raise alarm or questions. The bottom line is you can bet someone will call the cops about "a bunch of guys with guns" and the police would have to investigate the gunnery.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:55 pm 

Thanks for the feed back... though not really expected at the time of this ill fated (worded?) post.

All good points truly and still I do not regret my decision. However, while it may be getting into semantics, I think telling the police "they can check for themselves" if people with firearms have licenses is not an invitation per sa.. they already know they can check... that is of course their job... and they could try to enter the property to do so and be cooperated with or sit and the end of the lane stop everyone going home... one is less hassle I am sure... or they can know who and what we are doing ahead of time and not waste their time rolling down to my litter valley. Tell your neighbors they said and I will.

Anyone coming to the event (or any like it I am sure) all run the risk of an interaction with the police either because of a gun call, slow day curiosity, or the organizers where preempting a gun call by letting them know that was going on. So come or don't to these things I guess and the risk of meeting the local constabulary is part of the cost of the sport. Not even going to get into if it "should be a cost" or not..just saying.

I live in this community and decided to engage rather then be engaged. They really seemed more amused than anything and enough to joke about how it cant be any more serious than hunting season...bullets flying ha ha.. and they acknowledged it would be on private lands. Just be careful was their message directly to me.

As usually I am just reporting and posing my thoughts and not going to debate. You all can. Perhaps another thread called ... "should local authorities be informed of FT events?" I would love to hear/read from others who have organized these type of things over the years and if there has ever really been a real negative encounter with LEO and the dreaded "papers".... not newspapers but "records"..... presumable PAL holders go to the time and expense to have them so they don't have to worry about who asked them what.

So perhaps a new thread if you all want to keep the discussion going?

thanks again, really.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:24 pm 

I think you did the right thing Murray, you do live there after all
Maybe we could set up an "action shooter" lane for the police to strut their stuff :)
Sounds like it could be a great little get together!!

Crosman 2240
Daisy 953
Ruger Green Mountain Laminate 10/22+Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
1950 Russian SKS
Remington 783 30-06 Hawke Vantage 6-24x44 SF

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:31 pm 

well Plink

i do understand what you did, and if i was to invite a bunch of shooters on my property, i would probably do the same, contrary to what some may think, the Police aren't stupid, after all, they know people don't readily volunteer events with illegal activities, i'm sure they appreciated the courtesy call and if somebody calls about a bunch of fellers with guns, they will already have the answer for the caller and won't be wasting precious time and resources checking it out. if i was close and had been invited, i would certainly show up with a few rifles PAL and non PAL with my papers in hand, i say let them come.....i'm legal and they have nothing to charge me with

i'm pretty sure you didn't readily invite them to go there, but used that as a saying

happy shootin :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:59 pm 

[quote="mike87gt"]
Maybe we could set up an "action shooter" lane for the police to strut their stuff :)
quote]

Hah! Talk about paper work after that!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:36 pm 

Yep,I am sure they appreciated the call too.......talk about inviting the rain on a nice day...if you're totally legal...who cares what passerby's think of your activities on your OWN land.Hopefully you guys will have fun regardless of the shadow of suspicion you've invited.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:22 pm 

MyCrosman wrote:
Yep,I am sure they appreciated the call too.......talk about inviting the rain on a nice day...if you're totally legal...who cares what passerby's think of your activities on your OWN land.Hopefully you guys will have fun regardless of the shadow of suspicion you've invited.

I agree...

To me this is one step closer to helping/complying with the anti's, I would never call the police to let them know I am doing something on my property that is perfectly legal, that is just me though. I don't think people think Police are actually stupid, but anyone who thinks they are trying to "help" you by inspecting/searching/questioning better give your head a shake, they are trying to incriminate you...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:39 am 

jgoodz420 wrote:
I don't think people think Police are actually stupid, but anyone who thinks they are trying to "help" you by inspecting/searching/questioning better give your head a shake, they are trying to incriminate you...

It should prove revealing how Plinkercases' experience turns out to be. Will the local constabulary give Murray and his guests a harder time because they knew in advance what was going on, or will they not? I do not want to foment argument, my guess would be that they do not because they do not have to unexpectedly respond to passerby's calls of concern or alarm regarding a "bunch of guys with guns".
Since this is not "hunting season" in Southern Ontario, most people, police included, probably don't expect a bunch of guys with guns anywhere but on a regular shooting range regardless whether it is on private land, entirely legal (which it is), and completely harmless.