Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:22 am 

esrevenge wrote:
Its just a privacy thing for me. Like I said, I could have literally walked out with that book full of everyone names, address and drivers license numbers. Its just behind the counter for anyone to snatch, not secure information in anyway.

There is a lawsuit CT doesn't want on their hands. Forcing people to provide personal information and then not securely storing said information, that's REAL smart :roll:

AFAIK In Ontario you must prove you are 18 or older for airguns and the like, pellets included, which is fine. My problem is why do you need to log my info? There are cameras everywhere in those stores, it would be very easy to produce video evidence of me showing my ID if ever required. I just stopped buying anything airgun related from CT mainly for this reason about 2yrs ago...There stuff is all waaaay overpriced too, so that doesn't help anything either

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:38 am 

Write a nice long polite letter to the head office and ask for some compensation. Then show up to the store with printed answer and walk out with freebie.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:24 pm 

Parky wrote:
I understand the need for certain protocols when it comes to a retailer protecting their own behinds because of certain laws. I did think it was rather odd though, when I went into my local LeBarons to grab some .177 lead pellets and they insisted I produce my drivers license. That's a little bit overkill as far as I'm concerned, to the point where I said to the cashier "Is this a precaution geared towards being able to identify me when I take down a couple of Brinks guards with this ammo?" She was pretty good natured fortunately, and just laughed it off. If it was an actual air "gun" I was purchasing, I understand completely. Where does it stop though??? Will I have to produce ID the next time I stop in to pick up some pellgun oil or a paper target?

Absolutely ridiculous.

Cheers,

Parky

The way we're heading in this country, it's highly likely. Time to start talking to your local MP, liberal or tory. It doesn't cost anything; just walk into his/her office. Try this in a tory office: "Hi, I'm a Liberal and I like the way you guys are heading with firearms laws. I'm here to support striking air guns from the Firearms Act." If you're more comfortable, do it with a friend or several friends -- even better.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:09 pm 

Okay today I was in my local Cdn Tire store and spotted an air rifle in camo on sale for $99.99.
I just had to look at it.

So I asked a young female clerk for assistance, to open the gun case so I could handle the air rifle.
While she fumbled with the keys she explained that I would require a license to purchase it.
I explained to her what the rifle was and that a license wouldn't be required but that I had to be over eighteen. She didn't argue.
The rifle wasn't worth buying anyways.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:32 am 

I start by asking to see their privacy policy "what", anytime you collect personal information you are required to post a privacy policy at the point of collection, so where is it. How do you safeguard this information ?, it seems you just leave this list of names, address, and license numbers on the counter for anyone to see. Why are you collecting information not required by law ?. Why are you not protecting this information ?.
That usually gets the manager worried.
I never provide this stuff anywhere. If they want it I go somewhere that does not.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:12 am 

paddyfritz wrote:
I start by asking to see their privacy policy "what", anytime you collect personal information you are required to post a privacy policy at the point of collection, so where is it. How do you safeguard this information ?, it seems you just leave this list of names, address, and license numbers on the counter for anyone to see. Why are you collecting information not required by law ?. Why are you not protecting this information ?.
I never provide this stuff anywhere. If they want it I go somewhere that does not.

+1, I agree.

I really did want to get the bb gun for the long weekend, but too much hassle.

May try another store which is close to my work later this week...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:03 pm 

CO2retired wrote:
I looked at it also, but I only got as far as made in China.

Off-topic but anyway, quite amusing: at the local Green Earth store I was seriously thinking about a two-headed display axe (I know, I know, complete rubbish but I thought would look nice on the cave wall). After the assistant got one for me to look at, the whole idea got as far as finding "Made in Chian" stamped on the blade...
I did think it might polish out but if they couldn't even spell the name of their country correctly... It was a nice, heavy thing though! :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:26 pm 

paddyfritz wrote:

If the store collects your information. You can contact the privacy commission of your province. If they cant fulfill the quides lines set out. Fines can be imposed upon the stores owner for non compliance.
Employers are the same. Most collect more information upon their employees than required by law. Watched a simple phone call completely shut down information gathering and the set disposal of records for 8 months of a multi million dollar corporation. They were only fined 50K but incurred nearly 500K worth of additional man hours and expenses to prove they were properly on board with the collection and disposal of information.
Something to think about.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:03 pm 

Not Canadian Tire but funny anyway....

I was at Walmart last night with the wife. I needed some .22 pellets so I asked for a tin of 500 from a sales girl. She asked me for ID. HA HA! I'm 53 years old! To funny.

More to come....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:13 pm 

NFG wrote:
Not Canadian Tire but funny anyway....

I was at Walmart last night with the wife. I needed some .22 pellets so I asked for a tin of 500 from a sales girl. She asked me for ID. HA HA! I'm 53 years old! To funny.

I had a Walmart ask for a PAL for CO2 :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:26 pm 

I was in Bass Pro the other day and the guy told me the CFO is forcing them to collect peoples info even for pellets.So I walked out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:57 pm 

UPDATE - Went to a different location and no hassle at all.

Conversation went like this:
-Do you need my drivers license?
What for?
-For the bb gun.
Why?
-I dont know.
No.

So just try different stores. Its just complete BS to randomly collect your personal information.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:22 pm 

Hmmmm funny how that is. Isnt it.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:56 pm 

I realize this is an old thread but I think I have a worthy update.. Went to my local crappy tire today, the last time I went (which was a few years ago) they wanted my lic #.. Today I called ahead to the local store that had my pellets in stock and they dont ask for this info any more. The sales clerk mentioned that its been a couple of years now, and they even have rifles and pistols for sale again!!

I know their prices are higher than some, but back a while city retailers stopped carrying the guns all together and wanted a drivers lic for ammo and CO2's. Something changed and at least there is some positive changes to these local retailers.

Cheers :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:24 am 

JWFX wrote:
a while city retailers stopped carrying the guns all together and wanted a drivers lic for ammo and CO2's

Thought this asking for personal info crap was an Ontario thing. Never have been asked for this in town and that includes 2 or 3 Crappy Tires where I purchased airguns. Nor has any other retailer. How long is a "a while back"?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next