Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:11 pm 

Anyone know? I found an old thread about disassembly but it wasn't quite clear. I have the grips off and the screw in front of the trigger, which allowed me to take off the lower housing with trigger guard. I can see the top part sort of clips around the compression tube and it moves a bit but I don't want to force it up in case there is something else I have to undo first.
Do I need to separate the barrel where it pivots? There's a plastic cross-head thing but it's not really a screw, not sure if it unscrews or is just pushed through...
I don't really fully need to remove the top as long as I can get it away from the cylinder. I want to carefully drill a couple of holes in the plastic and attach a rail.
These things are a bit obscure but if anyone has done what I am trying to do (without wrecking it!) any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:22 am 

Never mind. I got it off (without breaking it!) but unfortunately the housing looks far to thin to attach a rail, at least with a screw/bolt so will have to think again...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:07 am 

your able to use long and thin layer of aluminum or any thing ,to work as kind of reenforce ???
if you could put one over ,and one under it should be as much strong,,

target man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:05 am 

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that too but the housing clips right around the cylinder so there is no room to put anything underneath.
Anyway, while I am normally of the opinion, "if at first you don't succeed then it tells you it wasn't worth trying in the first place", I stuck with it despite only having a couple of mm of plastic to work with.
Plan A was a very neat job. I drilled some holes and cut down a couple of steel screws to use with two brass washers as shims between the rail and the housing (mainly because they looked nice...):
Attachment:
140803 - XSP180 first rail2.jpg
140803 - XSP180 first rail2.jpg [ 70.21 KiB | Viewed 441 times ]

Attachment:
140803 - XSP180 first rail4.jpg
140803 - XSP180 first rail4.jpg [ 58.93 KiB | Viewed 441 times ]

Inside the housing I used my Dremel engraver tip to scratch around the holes to form a little trench around each and used some epoxy along that and the ends of the screws. However as the screws were not tight fitting enough, the rail started to slide around so that was the end of that idea. Shame, as it was a nice, clean job.
Plan B involved cutting down some proper Allen screws and putting those in through bigger holes. By now I had decided it was all or nothing so I ditched the nice brass washers and underneath the rail I Dremelled the surface to create a trench pretty much all the way along. On the top of the housing I used the engraver again to scratch it all up to make a good key. With the rail then in place I dropped some epoxy through each hole and around the bolts. Hopefully it is going to stay put as if it comes off it is going to look a mess...!
Attachment:
140803 - XSP180 second rail1.jpg
140803 - XSP180 second rail1.jpg [ 64.5 KiB | Viewed 441 times ]

See next post for results...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:25 pm 

it seem you do it :lol: :lol:

other xsp180 should like more there's too ,now

target man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:51 pm 

well done. I guess this pistol isn't popular enough to generate many responses.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:27 am 

Yes, I think you are right. I put it up for sale on here but not a single enquiry, though I wasn't too disappointed as it is not bad at all. It saves the workout of a multi-pump or buying CO2 and I think I would get a springer every time - or maybe an Alecto. I would still let this go to put the funds towards a HW45 though (or maybe buy another and mod it all again!)