Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:04 pm 

hi peeps

think i might be ready for that 40 yard shooting challenge, this after not having my 97 to try it out :evil: , i decided to start practicing with the 34, after much tests on pellets, different material for rest bags, and quite a few holds, i think i found a combination that works; it does every time at 30 yards, and i couldn't test it more at 40 yards as dusk was here.

in my case, the bags are filled with sand but covered with a cloth so its doesn't grip the rifle when it recoils, the pellets are H&N FTT's, and i will keep the hold a secret for now(hence the piece of paper on the pic), if it does turn out to work consistently at 40 yards, i will openly share it with every one after the challenge has been met.

for now it looks very promising :D :D :D

Attachments:
D34 aug 2  30 + 40 yards.JPG
D34 aug 2 30 + 40 yards.JPG [ 199.04 KiB | Viewed 1094 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:51 pm 

nice groups at 40, 50 should look pretty sweet too then!!
Scope or irons?

Crosman 2240
Daisy 953
Ruger Green Mountain Laminate 10/22+Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
1950 Russian SKS
Remington 783 30-06 Hawke Vantage 6-24x44 SF

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:10 pm 

mike87gt wrote:
nice groups at 40, 50 should look pretty sweet too then!!
Scope or irons?

at that distance, scope for sure, the upper card is 30 yards and has a little bit of space left, was a no brainer to back it up to 40, but i don't think it can do sub dime at 50 thought, IMO the 50 will be done by a PCP...if it gets done at all, Joe might be right on that one :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:11 pm 

robipaul wrote:
... i think i found a combination that works; ... i will keep the hold a secret for now

Yeah, but I find clamping the gun in my butt cheeks and using a mirror to aim to be more trouble than it's worth... :lol: :lol: :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:47 am 

robipaul wrote:
i don't think it can do sub dime at 50 thought, IMO the 50 will be done by a PCP...if it gets done at all, Joe might be right on that one

I agree. Fifty yards with a springer would be darn nigh impossible. It's tough enough with a .22LR, as the CGN Challenge shows. I think 50 yards can be done with a PCP, though, but it won't come easily. Good luck, robipaul, on the 40 yards.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:38 am 

lleader wrote:
robipaul wrote:
... i think i found a combination that works; ... i will keep the hold a secret for now

Yeah, but I find clamping the gun in my butt cheeks and using a mirror to aim to be more trouble than it's worth... :lol: :lol: :shock:

or hold the gun in a vice 10 yrds from the target and stand 40 yards back with a string....... ? I MIGHT be able to do that!

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:36 am 

thanks Penage

i did try a few groups this morning, although it does group consistently at 30 yards, the 40 yards one....not so much, the hold is hard to keep consistent, it produced a few sub dimes at 40 but not 5 in a row, plus i'm about to run out of its favorite FTT's, i might also have a few bad ones in there, i loaded one and it went in the barrel about 3 inches without me pushing it, so who knows, but anyway, i'll keep at it when i get a new tin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:52 am 

robipaul wrote:
thanks Penage

i did try a few groups this morning, although it does group consistently at 30 yards, the 40 yards one....not so much, the hold is hard to keep consistent, it produced a few sub dimes at 40 but not 5 in a row, plus i'm about to run out of its favorite FTT's, i might also have a few bad ones in there, i loaded one and it went in the barrel about 3 inches without me pushing it, so who knows, but anyway, i'll keep at it when i get a new tin

This is the way competitions go - again and again.

In general terms, it is fairly easy to get 'some' wonderful groups, if the equipment is capable - now and then. This shows you just what the rifle is capable of when EVERYTHING goes perfectly. Getting those results on a consistent basis is where becoming a "MASTER" at this game comes in - practice, practice, practice.

Consistently getting those tiny groups, group after group after group is the result of a lot of hard work practice, long hours perfecting your techniques and much ammo spent in 'good' practice where you continually learn the idiosyncrasies of the rifle and yourself and how to make both work together.

This is why the CF big bench rest matches have aggregate prizes - yes individual single best group for the shoot prize - 1 of those, but the big money - and prestige & pride is in the aggregate prizes - best shoot for the day(5 groups of 5), best agg for the weekend (15 groups of 5 each), 2nd best agg(same 15 groups of 5 each), 3rd best agg.(same 15 groups of 5 each). Most people including me, get some fantastic groups and some fliers. The guys who don't get the fliers, or who get fewer flyers, win. THEN - there is learning to dope ie: figure out and use correct compensation for the wind and lighting.

Good work - keep it up - I'm still practicing too. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:02 am 

Pretty accurate summary of the facts of life, Daryl.