Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:02 am 

Wow, I count eleven.

I wonder how something like this can happen?

If no foreign matter was introduced in the barrel, perhaps the first pellet had a really bent skirt that let too much air pass around it for the pellet to escape the barrel? Or could the skirt somehow have separated from the head and remained in the barrel? Or could one of the seals be damaged causing air to escape and not giving enough power for the pellet to escape?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:22 am 

I know that when the kids were done I took 4 shots at a gamo squirrel thinking then that the scope was of then 4 shots at the edges of a plate to see where it may be hitting then I got that it wasn't firing. Not sure how many the last shooter put into it..... Very curious the see what started (stopped) it all....if I get a new barrel then I may even cut the barrel to get at it forensically.

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:49 am 

roger r. wrote:
Wow, I count eleven.

Your very close Roger 12 removed so far and at least 6 or so left according to my measurements and my actracting tool I made dosent seam to want to remove the rest :? So I'm thinking there might be a bb or something blocking my way, I will try to forge on but I told Murray that inquiring about a barrel might be a good idea.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:30 pm 

Ace wrote:
roger r. wrote:
Wow, I count eleven.

Your very close Roger 12 removed so far and at least 6 or so left according to my measurements and my actracting tool I made dosent seam to want to remove the rest :? So I'm thinking there might be a bb or something blocking my way, I will try to forge on but I told Murray that inquiring about a barrel might be a good idea.

If you get the chance, I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the tool you made.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:38 pm 

Ace wrote:
roger r. wrote:
Wow, I count eleven.

If you made a screw type xtractor and your careful you should be able to remove individual pellets from the crown end. Bare in mind to protect the crown. A simple steel bb behind a pellet has a slim to none chance of damaging rifling but trying to extract one most likely will.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:14 pm 

yes Kim i made a screw type extractor tool and everything was working great till I hit bedrock :lol: :shock: lol....
now I'm stuck on what to try next to remove the remaining 6 or so pellets. :?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:20 pm 

roger r. wrote:
Ace wrote:
roger r. wrote:
Wow, I count eleven.

If you get the chance, I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the tool you made.

very simular to this one Roger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:52 pm 

Ace try removal thru the crown of the bbl. If that doesnt work the last resort is to take a 13/64" or slightly smaller drill bit.. :shock: yes a drill bit.
Grind the tip down flat and resharpen the ends. Now you have a mill. Just gently turn upon the pellets you will slowly grind them to a dust. You want the pellets and bbl free of oils. Spray Brake Kleen to clean the bbl and dry out the lead, free of oil. Ensure you have your wraps of tape upon the Dowel :wink: :wink: the bit is glued into. With proper care you wont damage the rifling.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:03 am 

How old are the kids in question ? Won't they tell you what they put in there ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:11 am 

Kids like adults, have their "What If" moments.
Shooting one pellet to hit one target, so what happens if a few more pellets are used? Hmmmm?
That truth is that the Adult, that owns the Rifle/Gun, know what the "Spec" of the tool is.
It is not a "Shot Gun".
So just have to write it off as a learning experience(For Self) and a also a "Teaching One".

Arsenal..
Kraft Marshmallow Pump and Shoot Rifle.
GoodYear Gatling Gun rubber-band shooter.
PEI Potato PCP Rifle.

Glass ..12" Dobsonian Reflector.
Shooting for the Stars.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:12 am 

The kids in question were 19 and 17 and vey responsible. That being said I will wait until I see what is in there before I can judge what they or I have done wrong or could have done better. If anything. I haven't told either of them as it was their first time shooting and they really really enjoyed it and were very accurate and I don want to scare them off it with a scolding until I know what really happened. There were 177 and 22 tins near by so it could be as simple as somehow mixing ammo without realizing perhaps but I am not sure how that would cause a jam up but. There were also BB's on the pistol table and curiosity may have perhaps ended up putting on of those in but again not sure how that alone would jam it up. I seriously doubt they would try a rock or stick or anything else. ..however I am often wrong.... we shall see......

As my friend says "It isn't things you don't know that will get you , its the things you think you know for sure that just ain't so."

More will be revealed by Ace I am sure.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:09 pm 

Ace wrote:
roger r. wrote:
Ace wrote:
very simular to this one Roger

Thanks Ace, now I know what to do if this ever happens to me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:07 am 

sounds like someone put a bb into the skirt of a pellet, then loaded it backwards. at this point, i would consider trying to tap the remaining blockage back out the breech. or, remove the barell and try the extractor from the breech end. just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:35 am 

Ace has done yeoman's service trying to clear this thing...and just as he was literally about to hack saw it to see what was in it... Gravel Agency sent me a not saying that they would replace it (even if it just plugged...by me).... so we cancelled the autopsy just in time. As it would turn out I bought it last October so as long as I can find the receipt in my tax box then Gravel will deal with it for me. So we may never know what was in it.
i will eventually ask the kids once it is repaired. I really don't want to shut them down/off the sport by seeming to give them shyte over this....so I will ask them when it is not a "big deal". The young lad want to come to GTAC and check out the range so that is a good sign.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:42 am 

Plinkercases wrote:
... Gravel Agency sent me a not saying that they would replace it (even if it just plugged...by me).... so we cancelled the autopsy just in time...

That's good news.

When you said they were kids, I assumed around ten years of age. At 17 and 19, they are young men and probably would respect being treated as such. Give them a chance to stand up and they might surprise you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next