Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:48 am 

Both of them suffer from extreme anxiety disorders and I want to keep shooting a positive experience for them.
if they think they "broke it" and I am not even sure what happened then they may become to anxious literally to shoot anymore... I have seen it happen in other areas.. a perceived "bad" experience or making someone mad will shut them down completely. the 19 year old enjoyed shooting so much that he s willing to go to a range with strangers so he can shoot again and knowing this fellas history this is a big deal for him. So I will wait fro an appropriate teachable moment as they say... or just get it fixed and move on but emphasis with them going forward how and what to load.

His mom is thrilled he is coming out as are we.

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:39 pm 

For me, late 50's has a way of forgetting the awkwardness of late teen's.
I've just been through the stacked bore thing for the 3rd time with my 3rd grandson. (odd how things come in threes)
He stacked ten in the bore of the cheap little M-4-177 by simply forgetting to pump the gun up after shooting a string on the 1701-P.
There's no sense in getting angry over things like this, especially where kids are concerned- their brains are still in the development stage, and it really ain't their fault.
I just told him the gun has to be pumped up in order for the gun to shoot. No real harm done anyways- I got the ten crosman points out of it with a cleaning rod,
in about 20 minutes worth of work, and the little pumper's accuracy is still all there.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:08 am 

perhaps that is what happened, the gun was cocked loaded then for some reason that state forgotten and it was double loaded...

anyhow on we go and at least they are hooked now to the sport!!!

an yup... no reason to get angry over what is a first world problem!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:39 pm 

I just heard from gravel Agency and they have order a replacement GUN and it should ship to me in 2-3 days and EDIT I don't pay anything MORE..

That's a cool deal.

Again I commend Gravel's customer service.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:26 pm 

you lucked out, good to hear congrats. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:51 am 

Gravel Agency IS great! some vendors could take example for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:27 am 

I am somewhat familiar with panic and anxiety disorders. Bravo Murray! Those kids are fortunate to have someone who understands their issues. My best guess is that they don't remember what happened, only that the gun stopped shooting. They probably feel really bad about it.

I have coached our junior shooters program with our club. We have had a few kids who were struggling with panic and anxiety issues. They seemed to like the discipline of shooting. When the activity is highly disciplined, the fear of the unknown is lessened, and the kids relax and enjoy themselves. One parent told me that the junior shooters program was the only activity her son would attend, or could attend without a panic attack.

The best line I heard from a parent when asked why she chose shooting as an activity for her son:

"Well, hockey and football are far too violent"

Rick.

I'm not multitasking. I'm doing something else until I remember what I was doing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:27 am 

Thanks Rick and that is a cool line for sure.
Surprised the NRA hasn't come with it!
I may have the replacement gun in time for the same gang of kids to be shooting on the 18th with us at the farm.
it was encouraging that 2 of them felt confident or safe enough to come to the GTAC range for a night and I have offered to up my membership to family so they can come anytime. They are like the nephews who aren't nephews as we have know their folks forever and they just live walking distance from the range. I am sure getting back to school is consuming them so we will see how it goes over the next few months.
My 2 anxious girls enjoy shooting but are real busy with music, tutoring, riding and the dastardly computer games.
I am looking forward to getting back into a non-summer routine and getting to GTAC more regularly than over the summer. At last in the summer I can shoot outdoors in place of the range.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:28 pm 

Plinkercases wrote:
I just heard from gravel Agency and they have order a replacement GUN and it should ship to me in 2-3 days and EDIT I don't pay anything MORE..

That's a cool deal.

Again I commend Gravel's customer service.

Okay maybe I've missed a post somewhere.

Have you given up on unplugging the blocked barrel and you're buying a replacement air rifle?

What are you doing with the nonfunctional air rifle?
Somebody here might want it for parts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:15 pm 

Yes we (well my man Ace) exhausted all possible attempts to unplug So
I contacted Gravel and luckily was 1 month short of the 1 year warranty period so I confirmed they would take it just because it was plugged, they said yes and they would clear it, replace the barrel or give me a new gun.... I am getting a new gun and the only cost to me was the shipping to them. Good story as far as I am concerned.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:49 pm 

Really happy for you Murray, just remember that barrel would have been in two peaces if you hadn't called when you did :lol:
But I'm still curious as hell as to what was in the middle of that barrel especially after i had removed a good stack of pellets from both ends :?
Guess ill never know now :(

Last edited by Ace on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:51 pm 

ooppsss....double post disregard :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:21 pm 

The only thing you didn't try was Ex-lax. or an acid enema.

That was funny when I called and your son answered as you were holding the saw over the barrel!! second and inches make a difference in ones life for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:23 pm 

I'd bet $ they tried to see how many it could shoot out, 2 at a time, then 3 and so on until... I did exactly that with a pellet gun I had as a kid, not having the foresight for the obvious, or how I would unplug it. I eventually unplugged it by pounding them out, I think I used a brass rod.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:41 pm 

Chevota wrote:
I eventually unplugged it by pounding them out, I think I used a brass rod.

I eventually tried the brass rod thing as well bent three of them :( even tried a 12' aircraft drill bit broke the tip off :(
there's something metal like in there, only guessing because i will never know :?
trust me you could never unplug this sucker i tied everything i could, thats why Murray gave me the go ahead to chop it because we where both curious as hell to see what was causing this blockage, but then he called me back literally seconds before i did so, turned out to be a blessing :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next