Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:54 am 

Curious to see if any of you have tried this technique for restoring gun finishes, and if you were pleased with the results. About a year ago, a friend of mine rescued a Crosman Quest that was destined for the landfill. The gun had hardly been used, and after the break-in, it shot pretty well. The wood is in good shape, but the metal needs some TLC. After a bit of research online, I found that there are a number of different brands available, all with mixed reviews. Any suggestions on which brand to go with, and should I go with the cream or liquid style kits? In terms of the overall process, I read that if you heat the metal slightly before bluing, deeper penetration can be achieved - can anyone vouch for this? It should be noted that I plan on doing the entire gun, not just touch ups on the really bad spots. Would one of these cold bluing kits be the right tool for the job, or am I wasting my time. Are there any other practical, cost effective alternatives? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:34 am 

I was given a cold bluing "trial" bottle from a member a ways back of some liquid stuff he had bought, I used it on a Crosman 130 and a Shanghai Model 61 to revive there beaten finish for the life of me i cannot remember what the product was called but I'm positive he got it at crappytire. It had o.k results but i did find it worked best when the metal was slightly heated then i applied the product, came out with a nice deep finish but STUNK to high heaven and back (think rotten eggs and dog fart mixed)... Anyways i was impressed with the results for it being my first time bluing and i will look into finding out what the product was called ;) ive heard positive things about Outer's cold blue but have yet to try it (i make things shiny lol) but im looking forward to seeing everyone's input aswell because i dont think mine is to helpful :( lol

Name of the product was called Otters ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:10 pm 

I've never been happy with the results obtained from cold blue. If I obtained a decent looking job, it never proved durable...an oily rag wipes the finish off in no time.

I did give slow rust bluing a try, and was pretty pleased with the results. THIS is a durable finish that offers real protection. :)

topic53375.html

Al

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:02 am 

I've used Oxpho Blue (You Tube it) with pretty good results though the final finish seems to be dependent upon the quality of the steel it's applied to. The better the steel, the better the final finish REGARDLESS of how you prep the metal.

DaveD :D

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:42 am 

I've tried a lot of different blue but I also found Brownells Oxpho Blue to be very good. Hard to get in Canada, my local gun store sells it, the owner actually goes to the US and picks it up himself, Brownells I guess won't ship to Canada.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:26 pm 

Thanks for the input guys. That slow rust bluing sounds interesting - I'll have to do some more research into that. We definitely don't want the new finish wearing out after oiling the gun and wiping it off :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:04 pm 

Cold blue is all in the prep. You want to buff the metal till it looks like chrome if you want it to be really nice.

Rust blue is the best by far. It is the original gun blue. Caustic hot blue is the more modern shortcut.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:50 pm 

Hacked2Pieces wrote:
(think rotten eggs and dog fart mixed)
:rolleyes:

I've been told this stuff can't be made up, and this looks like proof of it.... :?

Regards,

Doc Sharptail