Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Slavia 624 update
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:58 pm 

Well here are the pics I promised of the 624 refurb. As seen from the pics, there was considerable rust inside and a lot of pitting and rust outside. The leather piston seal couldn't be salvaged. In fact when I was removing it, there was water squeezing out of it. I forgot to take pics as I renewed each part. Sorry. But what I ended up doing for a piston seal was I took a seal that came with a bunch of odds and ends I got from Gord "moltogordo". A blue one that was WAYYY to big for any of my guns. And made a teflon piece that I attached to the pin on the end of the piston. with the washer on, I peened over the pin. Then the seal just slipped over the tapered piece of teflon, and bobs your uncle.Then while it was attached to the piston, I put it in a drill and as it turned I used a finger belt sander and sanded it down to the same dia as the piston, leaving a flared out shape . It works great. I'm getting exactly 400 fps avg. The spring was in excellent shape, just a dusting of rust that came off with some oil. I had to hone inside the piston chamber with diminishing grits of sandpaper on a rod and drill, as it was pretty rough. Then I had to take the metal parts down to bare metal, also with diminishing grits if sandpaper. Unfortunately the cold blue method is too easily damaged for my grandson to handle, so I powder coated everything with a blend of gloss black, caddilac blue and gun metal grey. And refinished the stock. I think it turned out great. My grandson loves it and this is the most enthusiastic I have seen him regarding the shooting sport. My granddaughter also got in on the action.

Post subject: Re: Slavia 624 update
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:31 pm 

Wow, what a rescue! I would have been having serious doubts when I saw the rust on the action, and would probably have thrown in the towel when the piston emerged. You must have put a lot of work into bringing that back to life. Where did it come from?

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:59 pm 

Nice restoration Joe!
What did you have to replace on it?

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:02 am 

Great to see the young ones having so much fun!

And a beautiful job on the 624.

:D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:32 am 

Amazing job! And I sure hope your grandchildren learn how talented their "Uncle Bob" really is in these matters.

Well done!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:15 am 

rrdstarr wrote:
Nice restoration Joe!
What did you have to replace on it?

It only took a day to do the complete restoration. Replacing the the leather piston seal with a poly seal took the longest. The old beatup leather seal, still put out over 400 fps, but I doubt it would have lasted very long. So to answer your question, the only part replaced was the seal.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:31 am 

EverHopeful wrote:
Wow, what a rescue! I would have been having serious doubts when I saw the rust on the action, and would probably have thrown in the towel when the piston emerged. You must have put a lot of work into bringing that back to life. Where did it come from?

Jim

It was at a household auction. There was an old Diana there also.made in great brittain. I cant remember the model number. It had a narrow cheap wood stock, and the barrel was built like the daisy bb gun. An insert with no rifling. I have searched for information on it but cant find it.the closest is the model 15. But I cant be sure.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:04 pm 

I howled, in one frame, your granddaughter is cocking the rifle, then in the next frame she is gone. I envisioned her losing grip and being catapulted over the table.