Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:31 pm 

So I am looking to mod my crosman Phantom .22 by adding a stronger spring. What size spring would I need? and what is a good site to order springs from in canada? Thank you!

btw I do have my PAL so I can legally own a air rifle over 500 fps.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:58 pm 

Hey welcome to the site
This might be just what youre looking for

http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... -kit-p-354

Crosman 2240
Daisy 953
Ruger Green Mountain Laminate 10/22+Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
1950 Russian SKS
Remington 783 30-06 Hawke Vantage 6-24x44 SF

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:59 pm 

Try Scopes and Ammo (http://scopesandammo.com/)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:06 pm 

mike87gt wrote:
Hey welcome to the site
This might be just what youre looking for

http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... -kit-p-354

Thank you, but I am kind of hoping to find just the spring to cut down on the price a little bit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:07 pm 

Quote:
Thank you, but I am kind of hoping to find just the spring to cut down on the price a little bit.

E-mail Eric (the owner), perhaps he would have just a spring for sale. It's always good to ask.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:16 pm 

rav wrote:
Quote:

E-mail Eric (the owner), perhaps he would have just a spring for sale. It's always good to ask.

Alright I will have to give that a try. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:59 pm 

iLLuSions wrote:
So I am looking to mod my crosman Phantom .22 by adding a stronger spring. What size spring would I need? and what is a good site to order springs from in canada? Thank you!

btw I do have my PAL so I can legally own a air rifle over 500 fps.

Well...if you only wanted an increase of 50fps or so you could put a spacer behind the mainspring.It gives me just about 2 fpe more with my phantom .22 Doesn't sound like much but it now shoots completely through a soup can at a given distance that it couldn't do before.nice.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:24 pm 

It shows none in stock. but it is back order-able. After extensive research this will work and will put your Phantom 500 at the Phantom 1000 level. ( I tested in mine). Company out of Quebec (official Canadian Crosman parts retailer). Very good service. It may take a while (couple of weeks to get the part since it is not in stock, but it will come.)

http://store.onlinecamp.com/en/catalogs ... =B18-00-4D

Last edited by airgun nut on Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:40 pm 

.22 should shoot 680-720 realistically with that spring.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:57 am 

You guys would know more than I would, but my understanding is they typically drop the power in those by putting a hole in the piston. It may also have a weaker spring that I'm unaware of, but I'd check for that hole before I did anything. So it might be as simple as plugging the hole... Which I'm sure people have told you about the legalities of doing that...
I'd also be sure and get a new main seal since the oem is typically trashed, and a breech seal won't hurt either.
If you have a way to get them, Crosman sells the spring for <$6, and both seals are $1.15ea, plus $4 shipping per order (US$)
Fyi; I bought a Vortek spring for a Crosman once thinking it might change things, and it did! I lost a ton of power! So far it seems to me the best spring is the oem full power spring, which is also the cheapest.
B18-00-4D Spring
B18-04-1A Main seal
B12-00-14 Breech seal
Just be sure you remove the burrs/sharp edges in the gun that ruined the oem seal or you'll just ruin the new one too. If you want more details just ask.
If the model # of your Phantom has an "A" at the end then it's a different model and none of these parts will work. I was told by another they didn't ship any of those north, but if they did I can get the part #'s you want.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:24 am 

Mine came with a weaker spring with no hole in the piston. It seams that the recent Phantom come like mine. As in my previous post I ordered the spring from that link with no issues. Just get the EVP from the Phantom 1000 on the www.Crosman.com website if you wish to order the seals.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:51 pm 

There are several different set ups that can be found in those rifles.
You need to tear it down and see what is there before you order.

Newer rifles have a bleed hole in the piston that needs to be filled and that is all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:59 pm 

Airgun nut: I'm curious which model you had and if the spring was the only mod they did to reduce power? If so how was the cocking effort? I ask because I dropped the preload on the full power spring so cocking effort peaks at just 12lbs, and it's still shooting over 700fps. Seems to me that the cocking effort would need to be down to ~6lbs to get 500fps ...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:06 pm 

Chevota wrote:
Airgun nut: I'm curious which model you had and if the spring was the only mod they did to reduce power? If so how was the cocking effort? I ask because I dropped the preload on the full power spring so cocking effort peaks at just 12lbs, and it's still shooting over 700fps. Seems to me that the cocking effort would need to be down to ~6lbs to get 500fps ...

Current ones come with a full power spring and a bleed hole.
Early ones had a longer piston and a weaker spring.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:47 pm 

serial reads 013X35983. Bought at TSC in May of this year. Definitely a weaker spring ( in a side by side comparison) with the B18 spring.