Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:02 pm 

Chevota wrote:
You guys would know more than I would, but my understanding is they typically drop the power in those by putting a hole in the piston. It may also have a weaker spring that I'm unaware of, but I'd check for that hole before I did anything. So it might be as simple as plugging the hole... Which I'm sure people have told you about the legalities of doing that...
I'd also be sure and get a new main seal since the oem is typically trashed, and a breech seal won't hurt either.
If you have a way to get them, Crosman sells the spring for <$6, and both seals are $1.15ea, plus $4 shipping per order (US$)
Fyi; I bought a Vortek spring for a Crosman once thinking it might change things, and it did! I lost a ton of power! So far it seems to me the best spring is the oem full power spring, which is also the cheapest.
B18-00-4D Spring
B18-04-1A Main seal
B12-00-14 Breech seal
Just be sure you remove the burrs/sharp edges in the gun that ruined the oem seal or you'll just ruin the new one too. If you want more details just ask.
If the model # of your Phantom has an "A" at the end then it's a different model and none of these parts will work. I was told by another they didn't ship any of those north, but if they did I can get the part #'s you want.
Thank you, I did take a look at the piston for a hole but there wasn't one and I have the short piston with a really weak spring so I am going to try replacing it because I was told I will get 700-750fps if I do. And thanks but I am looking for a Canadian company to save on shipping costs and so I dontget stuck with fees when my product crosses the border.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:03 pm 

airgun nut wrote:
serial reads 013X35983. Bought at TSC in May of this year. Definitely a weaker spring ( in a side by side comparison) with the B18 spring.

Did you count the coils ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:05 pm 

paddyfritz wrote:
Chevota wrote:
Airgun nut: I'm curious which model you had and if the spring was the only mod they did to reduce power? If so how was the cocking effort? I ask because I dropped the preload on the full power spring so cocking effort peaks at just 12lbs, and it's still shooting over 700fps. Seems to me that the cocking effort would need to be down to ~6lbs to get 500fps ...

Current ones come with a full power spring and a bleed hole.
Early ones had a longer piston and a weaker spring.

The newest models are actually coming out with a short piston with no bleed hole, just a really weak spring which is what he had I think that is also what I have.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:16 pm 

iLLuSions. If you read my earlier post in this thread I got my spring in Quebec ( see the link) . With regular Canada Post shipping.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:17 pm 

Last time I checked, Eric charged about 20.00 for just the springs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:22 pm 

It is $11.01 here http://store.onlinecamp.com/en/catalogs ... =B18-00-4D , the shipping for me is $13 to NS.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:29 pm 

airgun nut wrote:
It is $11.01 here http://store.onlinecamp.com/en/catalogs ... =B18-00-4D , the shipping for me is $13 to NS.

Ya I checked out that site, was just wondering whether a custom spring would be better or if I should get the actual crosman spring

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:00 pm 

I bought my phantom 500 3 months ago and it has NO bleed hole and the spring is so light you can cock it with your little finger.I'm going with a new spring also.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:08 pm 

MyCrosman wrote:
I bought my phantom 500 3 months ago and it has NO bleed hole and the spring is so light you can cock it with your little finger.I'm going with a new spring also.

Nice have you picked a site that you are going to order from? Also let me know how it goes when you get the new spring in.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:43 pm 

I have done a phantom 495 and added the nitro piston from a full power trail np. Pretty simple swap . I think the gas ram was close to thirty dollars plus shipping from scopes and ammo. Other than the crappy trigger nice shooter . About 750 fps with premier hollow points.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:50 pm 

Hobbyman2007 wrote:
I have done a phantom 495 and added the nitro piston from a full power trail np. Pretty simple swap . I think the gas ram was close to thirty dollars plus shipping from scopes and ammo. Other than the crappy trigger nice shooter . About 750 fps with premier hollow points.

Nice, I have looked into swapping for a nitro piston, but it is a little bit to costly for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:55 pm 

paddyfritz wrote:
airgun nut wrote:
serial reads 013X35983. Bought at TSC in May of this year. Definitely a weaker spring ( in a side by side comparison) with the B18 spring.

Did you count the coils ?

Sorry no I didn't, the spring is back in the gun. I found the other spring a bit loud to shoot in my back yard and I want to keep it quiet and not draw too much attention. The gauge of the coils was way thinner than the B18 spring but it was longer than the B18.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:50 am 

I'd go with a oem Crosman spring, they work very well and are the cheapest.
Illusions: Nitro conversions aren't too much more $ if you do the work yourself. At minimum all you need is the nitro and one other part, which total <$28 US$ from Crosman. Apparently they don't ship to you guys or some bs? If you buy all the parts it's more like $60, and if you send it to somewhere to be done it's probably over $100, but again US w/ US$. It's not worth the effort imo because the coil is just fine and certainly more reliable, and will last much longer. With a proper home tune the coil gun will be smoother, quieter, easier to cock, and more powerful than a typical out of the box nitro version. Your scope will last longer too, and a home tune is certainly cheaper. I can explain how to tune them if you want.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:50 pm 

Chevota wrote:
I'd go with a oem Crosman spring, they work very well and are the cheapest.
Illusions: Nitro conversions aren't too much more $ if you do the work yourself. At minimum all you need is the nitro and one other part, which total <$28 US$ from Crosman. Apparently they don't ship to you guys or some bs? If you buy all the parts it's more like $60, and if you send it to somewhere to be done it's probably over $100, but again US w/ US$. It's not worth the effort imo because the coil is just fine and certainly more reliable, and will last much longer. With a proper home tune the coil gun will be smoother, quieter, easier to cock, and more powerful than a typical out of the box nitro version. Your scope will last longer too, and a home tune is certainly cheaper. I can explain how to tune them if you want.

I have actually already ordered a crosman spring but thank you. Will I need to oil the new spring before I put it into the gun? If so,what kind of oil should I use on the spring?