Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:51 pm 

Oh yeah, we can see where that's going already :) What's that expression, "from humble beginnings..."?

Can't wait to see how it progresses, and how it shoots.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:15 pm 

A shrouded barrel is more of a grey area to me then installing a pistol grip and shoulder stock to a riffle. jmo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:18 pm 

Hobbyman2007 wrote:
A shrouded barrel is more of a grey area to me then installing a pistol grip and shoulder stock to a riffle. jmo

Oh, I was just referring to increasing the FPS to over 500. I'm going to keep it CO2 and under 500 FPS. Don't have my PAL yet, and I heard that if it was originally intended as a pistol, it still falls under those rules. That said, there's going to be nothing left of the original 2240, other than a couple minor pieces!

The stock and all are definitely going on. Also, not going to use all the baffles to keep the shroud compliant.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:30 pm 

Barfman wrote:
not going to use all the baffles to keep the shroud compliant.

Would not even one baffle make it illegal ? It would JMO

Jim

Crosman 2240 stubby
Crosman 116
Crosman Vigilante
Crosman shiloh
Daisy 1140
Beeman p17
ruger mark 1
hatsan supercharger 25 in .22
Crosman 2260
Crosman AS2250
Winchester M14

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:32 pm 

brzrider wrote:
Barfman wrote:
not going to use all the baffles to keep the shroud compliant.

Would not even one baffle make it illegal ? It would JMO

Jim

Not is it doesn't quiet it down at all. Add all the baffles that you want.

8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:38 pm 

Interesting... I'll have to do some testing. Anyhow, wasn't planning to use any of the baffles. We'll see how it goes, though. I'm more concerned about the FPS first.

I've modded my valve with my new dremel, and now I'm just waiting for new valve parts and the 2250 conversion kit (minus barrel and stock - thanks Eric!). Went and bought a nice bench vise, so I'm fully ready to go with whatever other tinkering it needs.

Really only need that valve to arrive, which has been sitting in customs for a week. I was really hoping to have it ready for the Mission FT shoot on Sunday, but I'm not crossing my fingers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:30 pm 

Well, the last parts are out for delivery! Also managed to get the elusive 9/64ths Allen Key. This puppy is going together tonight, and will start off with a bone stock valve and post some chrony numbers!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:35 am 

Well, she's alive!

Unfortunately, due to the amount of putting together / taking apart / modifying parts / putting back together, I haven't managed to get it over a chrony.

First CO2 I put it immediately purged through the lower part of the gun. Was almost expecting this. However, when I prepared to waste a 2nd CO2 to better understand where it was coming from, it held! It didn't just hold, there was absolutely no sign of leaking. Fired a few shots through to make sure the shroud didn't need any tinkering, and it shot nice and smooth, and quite quiet (the power adjuster was backed off a few turns).

Now, to how I made this beast:

I ordered off of BNM to get the multi-shot breech, 18" barrel and shroud. http://www.bnmcustom.com/product/comple ... -cal-copy/

Came just as ordered:

Please note that Sergio should automatically make the barrel 3" shorter than the shroud, so you just choose your shroud length to determine the size of the barrel. Sergio is happy to take calls, and helped guide my nervous self through the process. Altogether a GREAT experience. He had the kit to me in barely over 2 weeks! I ordered the "chrome" colour, but it is available in several different schemes.

Also note that they currently have a sale, where all orders over $200 get 15% off! It's only until November 3rd, but that really is a good deal for VERY nice looking parts. I have done my share of machining in the past, and the work they do is top notch. The barrel was very nicely finished, and the crowning looks perfect. They also even do a slight cut into the rifling near the tip, which I believe is for consistency. Will have to report back on that one...

Next, I took this kit from Eric:

http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... -kit-p-205

And this trigger (my old 2240 still had the old brass trigger, which is way too thin):

http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... shoe-p-434

Eric was GREAT and gave me a deal on it without the barrel, which I obviously didn't need. Send Eric an email, and he gave me a quote for both which seemed to me to be a very good price.

The adjustable hammer spring on the back is courtesy of our own rdstarr. He sent me one BEEFY hammer spring, which will undoubtedly last a lifetime. Nice machining, and holds the hammer spring in place very well (has a build in spring guide). Not sure if I want to use bluing on it anymore, as it seems to work with the overall scheme.

I found a Youtube video made by a guy from the UK where he showed careful disassembly / assembly of the gun, as well as polishing and lubing of different parts. I'll post it if I find it, but this was the most useful video for me to understand how this gun goes together, and how it works overall.

Anyhow, I fully took the gun apart, shortened the trigger spring slightly for a lighter pull, polished the trigger assembly for smoother action, polished the hammer itself (all with 600-800 grit sandpaper).

I took the brass valve apart and started messing around. This is where things went wrong. I was playing with my drill, to make some "recommended" valve mods, and ruined the transfer port on the top. Fortunately, these guys stock valves, as well as many other 2240 parts, and they ship to Canada:

http://alliancehobby.com/

I found them through eBay, and they were fine. They do stock a ton of parts that I simply couldn't find elsewhere, or at least not as cheap. From all my research, our own distributors have better prices (Forum store, S&A, D&L, SSSO, Airgun Source), but we just don't have access to everything. Always check them first for parts, because you'll pay more from the US, especially after you factor in shipping, exchange, etc.

So I now had one stock valve, which is currently in my gun. Going to leave that in there until I get it on the chrony, just to be careful. I went and got a Dremel and a bench vise to avoid future mishaps. The other brass cap has the shortened thread mod for higher capacity in the valve, but I'll hold off until I see how this goes. Will probably end up having to at least do the angle mod for the transfer port, which I can do properly with my Dremel and milling bit.

Also used the Dremel to shorten the screws going into the hammer spring power adjuster. They just needed to be shorter to avoid bumping into the threads of the adjuster screw.

On top is my mediocre 3-9X40 CenterPoint scope. Just waiting for my 3-9 compact Bug Buster to show up so that I can put the CenterPoint back on its rightful owner.

Once this is fully up and running, it'll be time to burn some cash on pellets:

topic64872.html

Great price here. Going to load up on these, and find a good source for cheap CO2.

Anyhow, thanks for reading, and feel free to ask any questions. Will post Chrony numbers when available. Please just don't ask how much this has all cost, because I'm trying desperately not to have that sink in.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:23 pm 

Very nice job - looking forward to your chrony results and accuracy results too.

Perhaps a vid with destruction on targets would be nice; as well.

:twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:34 pm 

wllm995 wrote:
Very nice job - looking forward to your chrony results and accuracy results too.

Thanks! I'm very happy with how it turned out. It's prettier than I had imagined it would be.

Will try and make a vid with some shots on various targets, maybe a pumpkin? Tis' the season!

Also, just wanted to say that the reason I made this gun was to have a lightweight (only feels like about 6 lbs with the scope on!) field target shooter that is quick on target acquisition. That's why I wanted that 2250 forearm stock, and I also like the look. The Bug Buster should make it a great small game carbine for shooting rabbits, grouse, maybe ducks. Once it's shooting in the mid 400s with .25 cal for around 11-12 FPE, I should be well within my comfort zone.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:39 pm 

Barfman wrote:
wllm995 wrote:

Thanks! I'm very happy with how it turned out. It's prettier than I had imagined it would be.

Will try and make a vid with some shots on various targets, maybe a pumpkin? Tis' the season!

Also, just wanted to say that the reason I made this gun was to have a lightweight (only feels like about 6 lbs with the scope on!) field target shooter that is quick on target acquisition. That's why I wanted that 2250 forearm stock, and I also like the look. The Bug Buster should make it a great small game carbine for shooting rabbits, grouse, maybe ducks. Once it's shooting in the mid 400s with .25 cal for around 11-12 FPE, I should be well within my comfort zone.

I agree with you that it will make a very nice light weight carbine for shooting.

If I had the $; I would love to make something similar - but for now will just enjoy your beautiful work,

:)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:42 pm 

wllm995 wrote:
I agree with you that it will make a very nice light weight carbine for shooting.

If I had the $; I would love to make something similar - but for now will just enjoy your beautiful work,

Hey, if you ever make it to a Mission FT shoot, you can definitely try it out! I'm going to try and make it to my first this Sunday!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:54 pm 

Barfman wrote:
wllm995 wrote:

Hey, if you ever make it to a Mission FT shoot, you can definitely try it out! I'm going to try and make it to my first this Sunday!

Would love to go; but the car is in the repair shop - so it will have to wait for another time.

:(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:10 pm 

Can't shoot ducks with a rifle, only a shotgun using steel shot.... same with any Migratory Gamebird....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:22 pm 

rsterne wrote:
Can't shoot ducks with a rifle, only a shotgun using steel shot.... same with any Migratory Gamebird....

Bob

Wow, that's good to know. Any idea why that is?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next