Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:16 pm 

International agreement governing all of North America, where the birds migrate over....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:27 am 

First numbers through the Chrony... Fired 15 shots before it started to drop off, high of 482, low of 472 FPS. Might need to back off my hammer spring a bit! This is with lightweight H&Ns (20 grain).

Surprised to see them so high right off the bat! I'm thinking I'm just going to do the angle mod in the valve, and let her be. I'm also going to start backing off the hammer spring step by step to find a good zone where I get good shot count / quiet report. For that, I'm just waiting for my shipment of CO2 cartridges to show up, but I'll definitely be picking up a small pack for the Mission FT shoot on Sunday.

Even more surprised to see the havoc that it caused my home made target / backstop! The Benji Trail was leaving your usual holes through it. These .25 pellets were digging trenches! The difference is astounding!

REALLY happy with these early results! Will report back once I get it all figured out. So far, I really can't complain. It's just a fantastic gun, and such a fun project. If it's as accurate as I suspect, this is going to make for a good time.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:13 pm 

Once you find the correct hammer spring preload, remove the RVA and replace with something not adjustable so that the gun can never exceed 500 fps regardless of temperature....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:29 pm 

rsterne wrote:
Once you find the correct hammer spring preload, remove the RVA and replace with something not adjustable so that the gun can never exceed 500 fps regardless of temperature....

Bob

I don't anticipate the gun being able to exceed 500 fps regardless of the position (I'll still test, of course). Also, from all that research you did on your own mods, it shouldn't even affect the velocity much when I reduce the tension to the "optimal" point. Thanks again for posting the link to that thread, it really helped a lot! It was eye opening to see how little it helped to shove more CO2 behind the pellet. That's why I ended up keeping my new valve in stock condition to begin with. I'm just surprised at the FPS I'm getting considering there have been no valve mods!

This whole experience has been great, and I found that at the end, I was taking it apart and putting it back together without even having to think.

However, if I do need to stop it from adjusting I have a real easy way of doing that, which I found while putting it together. Basically, just going to ruin the threads on the RVA, and she won't be able to budge for anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:06 pm 

Well, the compact Bug Buster showed up, and a lot sooner than I had expected! Free shipping from China in only 2 weeks. Here is a photo of what was in the package:

Seems fine. It didn't come with a battery, as they cannot be shipped, so I picked one up for $5, and it seems to work great. Good clarity through the scope, much better than my old CenterPoint. It also fits the gun a lot better, being quite a bit more compact.

Anyhow, I threw that scope on, and took her to Mission for the FT shoot! I gave her a quick zero in at 15 and then about 25 yards, and it seemed to be hitting where I was aiming! Man, this gun is quiet. The loudest part of it is the hammer spring!

Shooting with JSB Exact Kings, it was doing its job of lobbing these heavy pellets down range. Wayne picked it up, and shot a small gopher target at ~20 yards no problem, and then a metal paddle he'd brought with him at ~35 yards, both on the first shot! He's obviously a really good shooter. This was from a standing position, using a support beam for stability.

The first orange target mid left is the gopher, then you can faintly see the paddles further out.

I really couldn't be happier with how this gun turned out. The guys at the Mission shoot also pointed out that with my 2250 kit on it, it's no longer technically a pistol, so I can tune it to higher FPS! May be something to consider some day.

Got about 25 good shots on a CO2, but this was on a cold day. I'm totally fine with that, and I'll order 2 more magazines for it so that I'll know when I've used up all 3, it's about time to change up the CO2.

Now that the project is complete, I can finally plan to take it out hunting. Who knows when that will be, though. Also, I haven't forgotten, I'll try and make a destruction video soon. Maybe on some pumpkins? I'll have to see what kind of energy I'm getting with the heavier pellets, but according to my calculations based on some assumptions (~450 fps with heavies), it should be around 11-12 FPE.

Also, just to let everyone know, you can make this exact same gun with only the following:

Crosman 2240 - $60
2250 conversion kit (minus barrel) - ~$70
BNM 2240 .25 cal conversion kit with repeater breech with 21" shroud - $270
RVA available from Rick - $25
Compact Bug Buster 3-9X32 scope - $60

I ended up with a lot more parts due to my tinkering ways, but it really would be a simple-ish thing to put together. The only real modification to parts was shortening some screws and polishing up the trigger assembly / hammer spring. The valve is still bone stock!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:53 am 

That's a sweeeeet conversion you got there :shock: I would hate to be a rabbit at the centre of that bug buster scope... :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:58 pm 

trickster2000 wrote:
That's a sweeeeet conversion you got there :shock: I would hate to be a rabbit at the centre of that bug buster scope... :rolleyes:

Heh, thanks! I just can't believe it actually worked so well first try, and needed basically no further power mods!

I went ahead and ordered 2 more magazines to help "count" out my CO2 usage. Future plans include making some sort of contraption to fit in the hollow part of the stock to hold 3 CO2 and the other 2 magazines. I suppose I'll use some sort of black foam material, and cut out the spots.

Also, ran the 25.4 gr JSB Exact Kings over the Chrony last night! Here is a look at the havoc it has done to my makeshift target:

Most of those shots were not aimed, BTW. Just fired across to measure FPS.

It's been a while since I've shot CO2, and I need to constantly remind myself to wait between shots. Whenever I saw a shot fall into the 430s, it was because I hadn't given any time between. Generally, my solid first 25 shots had a high of 454.8fps, and a low of 445.3fps (when I didn't shoot too soon). That makes for 11.67FPE high and 11.19FPE low (almost exactly where I expected). I may have had a few shots over 454.8fps, but due to inadequate lighting in my basement, I got a lot of ERR readings. :|

I shoved my finger into that large group right around bullseye on the lower right/centre target. About 2" in, I felt some pellets. I dug them out, and they were .22 hollow points that I'd fired from my Trail NP! No .25 rounds to be found that shallow. They were clearly digging in much further than my Benji Trail, which was hardly a surprise.

Also, very happy with that scope. It focuses down to even less than 3 meters! I was focusing on objects clearly at 2 meters, and the night visibility was tested, and I found it excellent and clear.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:02 pm 

Alright, so now that I have my new scope mounted, I can't stop there! I decided I want to add a magazine and CO2 holder in the stock. Had a few thoughts, and ended up just buying some black roundhead screws and a Rubbermaid garbage can I could cut up to enclose one side:

And now the other side has a nice hollow in it:

Now I'll have to drop by Richelieu to pick up some Kaizen foam. I'll cut it to size, and glue it in place once I've made the appropriate cut-outs to hold 3 CO2 cartridges, plus my 2 extra mags.

I tested out the stock against a baggy shirt, and had no problem with snags on the screws. I was actually surprised at how easy it was! Just pre-drilled the screw holes which I roughly measured and marked out beforehand, and then hand screwed them in. The screws I got have anti-slip ridges to lock in place, so just lightly putting them in place to not distort the plastic should work great.

Going to try and shoot some pumpkins this week. Some smaller ones at home are still really solid, so it'll be interesting to see the results.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:39 pm 

Alright, my project is complete! I went and bought some Kaizen foam, and decided to have it held in place with some heavy duty double-sided tape. The stuff is actually great to work with, and it was a great way to test out my new hunting knife. I bought a relatively cheap Gerber folding tanto from CT, and it did the job just beautifully:

I went with the 30mm thick foam, which was the right choice. It is almost exactly the dimension of the widest portion of the stock. To cut to size, I took a scrap piece of paper, placed it over the stock, and scribed the shape by pressing a crayon onto the paper around the stock cut-out. This gave me a perfect outline to use, which I then placed on a corner of the 2' X 4' sheet of foam, and simply cut out the shape, being careful to cut straight down.

As the stock cut out varies in thickness, to have the foam sit nice and flush I squeezed the foam into the stock, which was then stopped by my plastic backing as described in my last post. I then took note of how far the foam stood proud of the stock, and simply carved the back of the foam (important) so that it could be pressed back into the stock and sit flush.

Here is the tape I used to secure the foam into place:

http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/viewPr ... category=0

Seems optimal for this application, it actually makes a stronger bond once it has time to set! Almost feels like glue.

If you do decide to do this type of project yourself, I recommend cutting each strip 2" longer for the edges, and then cutting off the extra 2" of adhesive. You can then force the foam into place, and then carefully strip off the backing while holding the foam at the desired depth in the stock, so it fits nice and flush to the top of the stock. I did this, and it worked perfectly. The edges of the foam all around align almost perfectly with the stock, for a nice looking and anti-snag finish.

The magazines and CO2 all fit flush with the surface of the foam. I cut the holes small, and then dug out a wider trench in the foam. This ensures that my extra CO2 and magazines fit nice and snug, and give zero concern that they may fall out when I'm in the field.

I apologize for the lengthiness of this thread, but I can actually now say that I'm finished. I'll post destruction videos in another thread, and let this one go to rest. Hopefully will get to take out a few rabbits, too.

Well, now that I'm all done, I have a TON of extra Kaizen foam. If anyone needs some, let me know! I'll send a cut piece to you for the cost of shipping.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:54 pm 

Very nice job - looking forward to your destruction videos!

:)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:01 pm 

Brilliant! That's a good use for that annoying hole in the stock.

How do those marauder magazines work? Is there any external mechanism that rotates the cylinder or does it somehow happen magically when the bolt goes in and out? How do they hold in place in the breech?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:02 pm 

wllm995 wrote:
Very nice job - looking forward to your destruction videos!

:)

Thanks! I should have some done by the end of the weekend. I have a couple of pumpkins that are just asking for it!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:09 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:
Brilliant! That's a good use for that annoying hole in the stock.

How do those marauder magazines work? Is there any external mechanism that rotates the cylinder or does it somehow happen magically when the bolt goes in and out? How do they hold in place in the breech?

Thanks!

The magazines actually index themselves. They're spring loaded in a clever way so that the edge of the pellet holds the magazine in position. When you fire your pellet, and cock the hammer, the probe exits the magazine, which causes the magazine spring to index to the next pellet. That pellet then catches in the loading position for the probe to push it into the barrel.

The magazines have a little cut out for the barrel of the gun. The barrel sits slightly proud into the breech slot, and it just seems to click perfect into place with a slight bit of force.

Hopefully this all makes sense. Let me know if it wasn't clear.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:12 pm 

Thanks. Sounds like I need to get me a couple of those to play with :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:02 am 

Put up the first test. You can see it here:

topic65110.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next