Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Easy Scope Leveling
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:17 am 

I came across this video today that explain how to level your scope.
It's so simple I'm ashamed that I didn't think of it.
http://youtu.be/HFTagdrA5JI

Post subject: Re: Easy Scope Leveling
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:02 am 

One think that bugs me about a lot of these videos is that fact that it could have been less than a minute long and had everything important in it. The rest is just five or so minutes of drivel.

The laser level is definitely a good idea.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:01 pm 

I agree Mac. It took too long for the guy to give his tip.
But you have to admit it's clever.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:47 am 

"Lining up" to level vertical and horizontal lines on a wall -- whether cast by a laser level or drawn with a quality-made long carpenter's level -- is an old, tried-and-true method. The key to remember is that the rifle must be level, and that's the challenging part. Not all cant levels are the same. I have two of them but they differ. For best results, a quality, robust cant level is needed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:18 am 

I seem to find the scope levels to be overpriced.
I mean really, $30?
Are they really worth it?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:46 am 

Only if the rifle is level during scope installation will the above method work.... and by level I mean the boreline directly under the scope centerline.... The vertical crosshair (and in fact its tracking if you use turret adjustments for long range) MUST align with the centerline of the barrel or you will introduce a cant error.... Note this is different than what you get when you don't hold the crosshairs level while shooting....

I use a mirror about 5 yards away, which I view through the scope during the installation process to insure that the vertical crosshair of the scope intersects both the centerline of the scope and the barrel, which is a crude but effective way to align the scope with the gun.... Once that is done, a gun mounted level is a good way to make sure you aren't canting the combination and introducing another error during shooting....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:10 pm 

You've given this idea some thought haven't you rsterne?
Every point you've made is spot on.

The scope mount on one of my rifles is way off centre, not over the bore but I don't remember if I've had problem sighting it in.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:47 pm 

Off center is not an issue if the vertical crosshair aligns with the bore and then you hold the rifle with the crosshairs level....

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:44 pm 

I have received permission from Scott Hull (Scotchmo on the GTA) to present his Scope Cant Chart, showing all the different types of error and their results.... Drawings are as viewed by the shooter, through the scope....

Note that in each case it is assumed that the rifle is zeroed at the top of its trajectory arc.... I hope you find this helpful, and thanks to Scott for providing it.... Note that if the scope IS aligned with the bore, only errors D or E are possible, and result from holding the scope and gun with the crosshairs not level.... If your scope is NOT aligned with the bore, but you hold gun with the crosshairs level, then errors F or G are the result, depending on if the scope is off to the left (F) or right (G) of the bore....

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:58 pm 

Thanks for this. Just corrected the cant of my scope and re-zeroed it. Seems you've explained some of my longer range misses. I'm used to the grip on my Pardini which I cut to be canted about 4 degrees off vertical, the bottom being to the right of the frame. My hand feels most natural and stable at that angle. Vertical grips see me gradually tilting my sights through a shooting session until all my shots are going left. But with the Atomic carbine it's not a custom grip, just trimmed down a lot from stock, so tilting it also tilts the pistol frame and obviously (in hindsight) the scope. I'd plumbed the scope croshairs based on that comfortable tilt and was of course finding that the greater the range, the bigger the misses to one side. Sorted now. Slightly unnatural feeling but I'll get used to it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:05 am 

My simple method to level my scope to all my rifles...

This attached to my rifles:

And a long piece of this plumb against a wall;

Works for me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:51 pm 

I have found that you are very lucky if you put that level on the dovetail and it is level with the action of the gun. Levelling the level would be a first step.

I find that a level built into an old scope ring (I have a few made by Len) makes it easier to have it level with the action and the cross hairs of the scope, since it is infinitely adjustable by rotating it on the scope tube. I also find it vey easy to see at the same time as I am looking through the scope.

Of course, this is done after you have aligned the vertical crosshair of the scope with the centre of the bore as Bob suggested. If when you sight in your scope, you have a lot of windage adjustment to get it on target horizontally, you have taken the vertical crosshair out of alignment with the bore. When the scope is at its optical centre, I like to have the verticle crosshair within a click or two of the centre of the shot horizontally before tightening it down. If your horizontal crosshair is within a few clicks of the shot at your zero, usually somewhere between 20 and 30 yards, most of your shots will be taken with your scope very close to its optical zero. For hunter who will normally zero the scope and then use the dots, this is ideal. Takes some time, but pays off.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:34 pm 

Have you seen the scope mounting kits that let you "lap" or polish the scope rings? It sounds like a clever idea.