Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:40 pm 

My Alecto has developed a bit of a problem. It has worked flawlessly for somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000-3000 shots. I have oiled with a couple of drops occasionally and all seemed to be fine until last night.
Over a period of a few shots (3-5), it refuses to pump up any more. It appears to be a blocked inlet valve as when you open the lever to pump, it seems to vacuum back instead of pumping up.
I tried to oil again but I believe there is too much in now so I believe it has to be disassembled to clean out the excess oil if nothing else.
Am I on the right track or am I missing something simple?
This is by far my favoutite gun so I hope I didn't mess it up too bad.
Any suggestions would be most helpful.
Stihltech

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177
Member of NFA, CSSA & IPSC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:42 am 

Anyone got any ideas?!?
I have taken the piston assy apart and wiped clean and re-assembled a few times now and still the same ... vacuuming back instead of drawing new air in.
I'm not exactly sure how this works so any help would be nice.

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:10 am 

I'm sure you know your gun but I have to ask if you're certain you are opening it up all the way so the inlet port is open? Maybe something binding preventing you from opening it to that point, like a laser on the lower rail? Can you see inlet port? Is it blocked by anything?
If I had one (which I should because they're really cool) I would know exactly how the piston assy works so I could tell you more, but since nobody replied so far I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.
If you want to take pix or video as you take it apart I can look at that to get a better idea...
If a video, or pix are too big you can send to me at chevota at hotmail.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:36 am 

Chevota wrote:
I'm sure you know your gun but I have to ask if you're certain you are opening it up all the way so the inlet port is open? Maybe something binding preventing you from opening it to that point, like a laser on the lower rail? Can you see inlet port? Is it blocked by anything?
If I had one (which I should because they're really cool) I would know exactly how the piston assy works so I could tell you more, but since nobody replied so far I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.
If you want to take pix or video as you take it apart I can look at that to get a better idea...
If a video, or pix are too big you can send to me at chevota at hotmail.

I did consider that and I actually tried holding it open to see if it would help but no. (nothing on bottom rail to limit travel). Tonight I thought I had it fixed as there was quite a bit of oil that I cleaned out dried up but ultimately it ends up doing the same thing ... vacuuming instead of drawing in new air. As I mentioned, I'm not really sure how this works so I will try to get a few pics and see if you can see anything. It's probably going to be a day or two before I can get back to this but it is proving to be somewhat frustrating to say the least.
Stihltech

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:12 am 

If you happen to find an exploded view of the piston assy that would help too. The only parts diagram I saw showed all the parts except the piston which was shown assembled, so it was useless... So let me know, and I suppose just leave it apart because I may have questions and/or need more pix.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:40 am 

I think I found the problem however, I don't think it explains the vacuuming. Here are a few pics.

Attachment:
image1.JPG
image1.JPG [ 54.84 KiB | Viewed 1207 times ]

Attachment:
image2.JPG
image2.JPG [ 36.97 KiB | Viewed 1207 times ]

Attachment:
image4.JPG
image4.JPG [ 28.41 KiB | Viewed 1207 times ]

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:40 am 

Here is the exploded view I found.

Attachment:
parcalar_ModHP01_03.jpg
parcalar_ModHP01_03.jpg [ 68.55 KiB | Viewed 1207 times ]

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:35 pm 

Is the smallest tube securely attached to the end cap so it moves with the larger outer tube? I assume there's a small hole in the side of the middle tube that can't be seen in the pix? If so is it blocked?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:02 pm 

Wow, that's complicated as all hell isn't it. I guess it's some sort of double acting pump? Can't quite get my head around how it works :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:22 am 

Chevota wrote:
Is the smallest tube securely attached to the end cap so it moves with the larger outer tube? I assume there's a small hole in the side of the middle tube that can't be seen in the pix? If so is it blocked?

Actually, that is exactly how it works. The hole in the middle tube is about .070" and it is partially covered by the large seal housing ... possibly 1/3 covered but still should allow enough to bleed through. When fully opened, the inner tube/piston seal uncovers that hole so I'm really not sure why it's not working as it should. That smaller seal is definitely burnt a bit but I can't see that causing the vacuuming ... lack of power, yes, but it still should work.
I am planning to bring this with me to the shoot in Didsbury on Sat and see if someone there can figure it out.
If not, I'll still get to see my next purchase ... a PCP!!!

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:45 am 

I haven't had to go that deep chasing a problem but I'm wondering if there is a check valve that is stuck. Hmmm

Smith & Wesson 686
Hatsan AT44MW-10 .177
Daisy 953S

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:26 pm 

Once again I think I may have found the problem ... a blocked hole in the valve just ahead of the adjustment screw. What a pain to get the valve apart ... I should apply to Webley as a qualified technician now!
Anyway, I haven't proved that yet as I need to find something long,(5" plus) and thin ... maybe 1/16".
I have an interesting email that I would like to post here. It is from T W Chambers in the UK.
I sent an email to them asking about a seal kit for the Webley Alecto. This is what I got back this morning.
I find this hard to believe as the parts I want are listed on the ATAKARMS website so I plan to send them an email as well.
But ... if this is true ... the Alecto being a "NON-SERVICEABLE" gun, I would certainly not recommend it. (and I have 2 of them!)
I will let you know what I get back from AtakArms.

Hi

Sorry but we do not have any seal kits for this model.

We do not know what seals are required for this gun as the manufactures have informed us that the gun is a non serviceable gun and will not supply or tell us what seals are required.

We only have the complete main valve unit.

Regards,

T W Chambers.

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:15 pm 

What valve would that be? I wouldn't have guessed it had one, I figured just a little port in each tube.
That's bogus about the seals, maybe write the mfg with a pix requesting a replacement. I also wonder how it got burnt...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:19 am 

Chevota wrote:
What valve would that be? I wouldn't have guessed it had one, I figured just a little port in each tube.
That's bogus about the seals, maybe write the mfg with a pix requesting a replacement. I also wonder how it got burnt...

The back end (transfer port if you will), from the tube via the adjustment screw to the chamber/pellet/barrel.
I was unable to clear that hole so I suspect there is a check valve but it's too remote, (5" down a .5" tube).
It's still vacuuming so I am left with the conclusion that it is in the valve body somewhere and the only option I can see from here is to replace the entire unit which is 120 British pounds ... which equates to around $217 CAD, plus shipping and duties ... basically not far from the cost of a new gun!
I am so disappointed ... this is a fantastic gun. I'm not giving up yet ... Hopefully, someone on Sat will have some ideas.
I have sent an email to Atakarms so am expecting a reply tomorrow sometime.

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:42 am 

I don't believe it's a vacuum, but instead pressure building as you open it further. Anyway, in the tube that is threaded on both ends I believe there should be a small hole in the side of the tube nearer the muzzle end, similar to how the large outer does. If so, and if you put that tube on backwards the gun would do what you're describing.
Whatever the case I would not buy a new assy. I'm certain it's something simple, and I think odds are good it won't require any parts. Even if it does I would assume the mfg would stand behind it? Is it past warranty or something? I'd skip parts places and go direct to the Webley.
Let em know about that hole.... Also, what are those three things that look like holes at the center of the blue seal in pix #4? It almost looks like a check valve, if so my understanding of the gun is all wrong.