Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:02 pm 

I built an 8-gun display cabinet for my brother a few years ago. Along with the door and drawer locks, I used plexiglass instead of the real stuff in the door. Way secure...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:12 pm 

DDtank wrote:
SureShot wrote:
The law is specific, your firearms must be safely stored under lock and key.

Where have you seen that?

I can't quote the actual law but there must be some legislation in place.
We often hear in the news about the police discovering firearms in a residence that aren't properly secured and charging people.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:57 pm 

57scott wrote:
I built an 8-gun display cabinet for my brother a few years ago. Along with the door and drawer locks, I used plexiglass instead of the real stuff in the door. Way secure...

That sounds better then a cabinet. I was thinking a 1/2" steel bar that would run through all the trigger guards and have the ends extend through the cabinet and a padlock hole drilled through each end. I am sure some could make that work and look nice. I would seriously consider putting one in the ManCave for air rifles I was working on, or for customers guns when I retire.

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:35 am 

I have seen'couple of years ago, a glasss cabinet with a bar running across it and without removing it you could not remove a gun from it + it had trigger lock. Was very good looking to. 8)

Glock G17 6mm
SW M'n'P 40, Crosman 357 6'', SA 1911 TRS
Brodax 44, M1911A1 twin barrel 6mm.
M1911 Dragon 7'' Hi-Capa6mm, M1911 twin Hi-Capa
H'n'K USP. DT4 Nemesis 6mm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:08 am 

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... ampaign=CI
This is a nice one.Not really a display case, more like a HIDDEN display case

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:13 am 

SureShot wrote:
DDtank wrote:
SureShot wrote:
The law is specific, your firearms must be safely stored under lock and key.

Where have you seen that?

I can't quote the actual law but there must be some legislation in place.
We often hear in the news about the police discovering firearms in a residence that aren't properly secured and charging people.

See bobtodrick and my previous posts. Trigger/cable lock, bolt removed etc is what it is, secured does not necessarily mean locked away. What you are saying is you would think they must be and this is why I asked the question about needing a cabinet on my PAL course and was very surprised that it's not compulsory (but obviously still a good idea).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:41 pm 

57scott wrote:

That's also what I was thinking about. A locking cabinet but replacing the glass with a thick lexan. You can cut it but there is no way you'll break it.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:28 pm 

I guess it's open to interpretation as to what is easy to break into but I think they set the bar pretty high. For example, I've heard that a locked closet is not sufficient if the door hinge bolts are exposed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:44 am 

The rules are simple. If it's not in a safe, trigger/cable locks are required or remove bolts and store separately.

If you store it in the corner of a room, trigger locks.

If you store it in a closet, trigger locks.

If you display it (hang it on the wall or display it in a cabinet), trigger locks.

If you store it in a safe, no trigger locks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:04 pm 

AirForceAddict wrote:
The rules are simple. If it's not in a safe, trigger/cable locks are required or remove bolts and store separately.

If you display it (hang it on the wall or display it in a cabinet), trigger locks.

That's a safe interpretation but it is not exactly what the law states.

Non-restricted firearms

* Attach a secure locking device, such as a trigger lock or cable lock (or remove the bolt) so the firearms cannot be fired; or
* Lock the firearms in a container or room that is hard to break into.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:08 pm 

DougP wrote:
AirForceAddict wrote:

That's a safe interpretation but it is not exactly what the law states.

Non-restricted firearms

* Attach a secure locking device, such as a trigger lock or cable lock (or remove the bolt) so the firearms cannot be fired; or
* Lock the firearms in a container or room that is hard to break into.

DougP, it would seem as though you see a difference between what AFA wrote and "exactly what the law states". It's hard to see what that difference might be. Would you be so kind as to clarify?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:44 pm 

ok, I guess we're kind of beating this to death.
But what the law states is firearms without trigger locks must be locked in a container or in a room that is hard to break into. The container I suppose can be interpreted as a safe. (Although a wooden cabinet with lexan windows may be interpreted as a container that is hard to break into). But a locked room (which is ok) is not a safe. But the room must be very hard to break into - ie, no exposed hinge bolts and no windows.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:57 pm 

It seems as though DougP is the only one having trouble understanding this as he contradicts himself in his own statement.

How can a cabinet with lexan windows be considered hard to break into but a room that is difficult to break into can't have windows.

If a cabinet has a clear front it is considered on display. No different than if it was just hanging on the wall. Trigger locks are required.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:28 pm 

Ok, I agree - the safest way to store firearms without trigger locks is in a safe. But legally you are allowed to store them in a container or room that is hard to break into. It's up to interpretation beyond that point. Lexan is really difficult to break. Is that ok? It's up to the judge. A room with a glass window? Probably not. If the window has bars, then probably ok.

But trigger locks are like $12 at CTC so let's just agree that we'll use them regardless of where/how they're stored.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:29 pm 

It can be hard to break into and can be see thru.
3M made this display for their security glass, if you could break the glass, you could keep the $$$ Image

If you need more than a big hammer and screw driver to get in it, I consider it hard to get into.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun