Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Scope replacement advice
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:34 pm 

Hey Folks,

I'm new here, so I hope this is the right sub-section of the forum for this question. I recently purchased a Gamo Bone Collector Bull Whisper .22. I've only maybe fired about 500 pellets so far and really really love this gun. It's amazingly accurate, but the scope is quite limited in my humble opinion. I would like to target shoot a bit further then 20-30 yards, which is about all the stock scope will do. I would like something versatile and reasonably priced. I've been out of the loop for a long time, so I really don't know a lot about today's technology, regarding airguns and scopes. I must say the guns have come a long ways since I was a kid. Absolutely amazing! Every time I go online and look at them, I feel like a kid in a candy store.

OK, so back on topic: The scope must be compatible with my Gamo rifle. I am willing to spend up to $150 max, but would like to stay around $100 if I can. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to hunt small game in BC with my pellet gun, but it is something I might consider down the road, law permitting. So a scope with that in mind, as well as plinking is what I am looking for. I am looking for bang for the buck. No pun intended. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:03 pm 

I have a Bone Collector as well. Unfortunately I am not very impressed. It is a VERY powerful gun, that is for sure. What ever scope you get, you must make ABSOLUTLY sure you get one that is designed for air guns. Also, the mounts you use must have the set screw that screws into the top of the gun. When you look at the set screw, you will find that it has a tapered end on it. My rifle sheared that tapered end right off. I would advise grinding the taper off of the set screw and using the full size of the set screw, just to give you a little more to help hold the scope in place.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:14 pm 

Hmm...that's not good news with the stock scope. I've already noticed it does seem to come loose. Perhaps a bit of locktite would hold things a bit better.

Eventually, I do want to replace the entire thing with a little more powerful scope Anyways. Can you suggest a Canadian website specifically for airgun scopes?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:13 pm 

RACKnRAIL wrote:
Can you suggest a Canadian website specifically for airgun scopes?

A couple of Canadian websites, there are others.
http://www.dlairgun.com/Scopes/

http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/ind ... es-c-21_51

You may find difficulty staying under $150 because there is shipping to add to the listed price.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:15 pm 

Here is another one.
http://www.specialtyshootingsportsoutdoors.com/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:17 pm 

There used to be a sticky with all kinds of websites and then it disappeared.There should at least be one with all the Canadian vendors.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:25 pm 

Also
http://www.airgunsource.com/scopes-and-optics-scopes-1-scope-tubes
very good to deal with!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:05 pm 

Make sure to get a one piece mount for what ever scope you find. I was going to suggest a Leapers 3-9x40 but they have gone up i price since I got mine.
http://www.dlairgun.com/Scopes/Leapers/ ... AOIEW.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:18 am 

This is going to sound little crazy. I was in the same boat. I have tried a few scopes but it seemed that each had a quality that the other didn't. Finding something that had everything at a decent price seemed to be out of reach. Then I took a leap in a different direction. I bought a crossbow scope. For $130, I got a scope that has decent optics, is built to withstand a lot of vibration, an illuminated (variable red and green) and graduated reticle and 6X zoom. No parallax wheel, but I find with this scope, it's not really necessary. But what I really like about it is the short eye relief, short overall length and wide field of view for quick target acquisition.
I haven't tried this in the field yet, but if it holds zero, I can see this being a winner.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:28 am 

And that high-potential scope is ... (drumroll) ... :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:35 pm 

I am currently using scopes from Barska and must say that I am very please with them. Good optics and they are specifically design for airguns (the 2 models listed below), plus they are at a decent price.

http://www.amazon.ca/Barska-AC10004-Air ... rds=barska (I have this on a Crosman Raven)

http://www.amazon.ca/Barska-AC10008-Air ... rds=barska( I have this installed on a .22 Phantom 500 that I go back and forth to from sub PAL and PAL)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:06 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
And that high-potential scope is ... (drumroll) ... :)

Excalibur