Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:07 pm 

Last week the pistol worked fine, this week as soon as I tighten the knob on a CO2 powerlet, all the gas leaks out the moment it's punctured.

I've been searching here and the internet at large, and it sounds like the problem is the seal that goes around the puncturing bit. I can see the sealing ring in there but it looks like it's missing a bit, like a tiny bite was taken out of it.

Are there any Canadian sources for new Daisy seals? I have not found anyone selling Daisy parts.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:13 pm 

Hi,

I don't know of any Canadian suppliers, but you can order direct from Daisy by calling their customer service department at 1-800-713-2479. They are rather old fashioned - they don't like to take orders by email and don't have any online ordering, but they are friendly and helpful, and the prices are very reasonable. I'd go as far as saying their excellent parts service is a major reason for buying Daisy products over other vendors.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:29 pm 

Thank you Jim!

I had visited Daisy's website and it said they didn't ship to Canada, so I didn't think to try contacting them. That's probably just for their retail stuff though, not service.

I'll give them a call and see how it goes.

Cheers!

Stephanie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:41 pm 

Oh, the other thing I should say is that the stuff takes quite a while to arrive - my first order took about 3 weeks. I don't know if that was a delay with shipping it out or a delay during transit. I'm currently waiting on my second order :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:48 am 

Stephanie, if you don't have any success finding new seals, carefully dig out the old one and mail it to me. I will make you a half dozen replicas.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:55 am 

Cool - what do you make them from?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:54 am 

EverHopeful wrote:
Cool - what do you make them from?

Alumilite Flex 80

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:00 am 

That looks like good stuff. Shame it's so expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:58 am 

Wow thanks for the offer Handyguy! That Alumilite looks pretty neat.

It had crossed my mind that maybe I could make a replacement myself, but I was thinking to cut it out from one of those silicone cookie-sheets. They're sort of hard-yet-flexible and I figured they might make acceptable seal material.

I haven't had a chance to contact Daisy yet, hopefully I will be able to just get a replacement straight from them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:13 pm 

Stephanie, you could try that with some degree of success, but I replicate the original using mould making silicone, free form epoxy putty, correct imprefections and then recast in Flex 80. I do a lot of this stuff just for fun....and because I already have loads of supplies on hand.
Here if you need me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:17 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:
That looks like good stuff. Shame it's so expensive.

It really isn't. Considering how much you get and how far it actually goes, it's very economical, versatile and high tensile/tear strength.
Wanna know more? I have used just about every variation of two-part urethanes and silicones you can think of and I can answer most questions.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:12 pm 

I tried removing the seal and discovered that it's not quite what I thought it was. There's sort of a pinkish bit that I thought was the seal but now it seems that's just part of a larger thing that's not just a flat 'disk' but seems more like a cup shape. So I definitely can't just cut a replacement out of some flat flexible silicone.

Using a 5x loupe to get a better view, I'm also realizing that the bit that I thought was damage, looks a bit too symmetrical - there's two 'notches' not one, they're exactly opposite each other, and are triangle shaped. maybe they were always there and I didn't notice before -- never needed to take a super-close look at it before it stopped working right.

Now I'm wondering if the problem is that I'm using Crosman powerlets in a Daisy pistol... except I'm positive the last two I used without problems were also Crosmans.

:|

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:23 pm 

So, a 'final' wrap up on this one.

I took the pistol apart as completely as I could this evening. All this time I had thought the CO2 was leaking out of the piercing area, as that's where I could see the gas escaping when I tightened up the knob to puncture the powerlet.

Nope, that seal was (and still is) fine. It's the actual valve up inside. The gas was escaping up inside all the works, then just happened to be blowing back downwards and out in the area of the powerlet.

With the slide removed I could see and feel it coming out around a seam in the valve body. The valve body is made of soft white metal. It might be aluminum but it looks like that 'pot metal' stuff. The back half of the valve body is sort of wobbly and I'm sure it wasn't before. I think something internal cracked and that was the end of that.

The seam where it's leaking, and where it might have failed inside the valve, is right where the blowback actuator sits when the slide is closed. At a guess I'm wondering if the blowback gradually hammered the valve till it broke.

Anyhow, I think it's probably kaput. I'm going to order another one though because it's really fun and the size and weight are just perfect for me.

Cheers!