Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:24 pm 

Perhaps it's hard to see in the picture of the nylon poppet seal, but it's not flat. No flat part on that sealing face. It's a reverse doughnut, or something like that. It's the same curvature as the brass, copied quite exactly from an impression taken from the brass seat. Air flow past it isn't an issue as I opened out the valve body by removing the threads from behind the part which needs to stay threaded to keep the valve together. Opened out the body about 0.1" inside diameter. So there's loads of room for air to get by the seal. If anything I'm having trouble keeping the velocity low enough to achieve a flatter curve on my spreadsheet. But yeah, the fun surely is in the tinkering!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:18 pm 

Alright, done for now. Finally figured out the hammer spring and preload balance to get a longer, slower shot string for less pumping and more pellet stacking. So I drilled and tapped into the left side of Rick's RVA and put a nylon piece and a set screw there to lock in the RVA for now, so it doesn't wander in use due to spring rotation. The clear coat Krylon is a bit glossy, but CT only had satin in stock. Anyone know if there's a matte version? Anyway, the Krylon 'make it stone' texture is pretty neat. My wife wants me to paint a pair of her cheap reading glasses like this! Not the lenses, I think...

Got it zeroed and it's shooting nicely. Maybe a bit of hammer bounce, but nothing too dramatic. I'll have to look at the design of that hammer de-bouncing shim and see if it makes sense to fit one. The stock is just 3/4" aluminum pipe, same as the barrel shroud. And same for the shell of the fill nipple cover, with a washer and some steel filled epoxy putty filling the end and smoothed over and a 'cello endpin rubber stopper glued inside. A nice fit, keeps the dust out of the seal and finishes the appearance at the end of the HiPAC. I sanded the plastic grips a bit roughly then put them on for the grass stencil painting (I cut grass-like shapes into a sheet of thin plastic from a chocolate box) and clear coats. When I pick up a scope for it I'll make an anti-glare cover for the objective then give that and the scope mounts the same treatment. I've tried a few camo paint jobs so far, and this is one of my best results yet but there's still a long way to go before I'm really pleased. Maybe I'll have to resort to small brushes instead of spray cans...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:34 pm 

Very nice!

Congrats on a job well done.

:)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:00 pm 

You've been having way too much fun! That looks great - especially the way you've mated the shroud to the breech. Looks very coherent.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:09 pm 

Yeah, the long spaghetti stick of the Crosman barrel was bugging me too much, had to make it look better balanced. Luckily Home Depot has 3/4" aluminum tubing in 3 foot lengths for a reasonable price! Then I just made a few spacers to keep it centred on the barrel and an end cap and it's off to the races. Guess I could have gone the heavy muzzle brake route, but I think those look best on high polish mods, the all brass glitter sorts of jobs. I was after a more low key thing with this one. And yeah, though at times with the HiPAC leaks and stuff it got frustrating... WAAAAAAAY too much fun!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:10 pm 

Gerard you are painting the Black gun of mine you have right now!!

Looking great my friend!! :D

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:51 pm 

Serious? Well, I guess yours is a little on the 'scary black rifle' side, but not too bad in black. We'll have to talk about it once I get the thing's velocity curve smoothed out and dumping a bit less air after the pellet's left the muzzle. Hardest part is deciding which parts can just be painted over without worrying too much about later dis-assembly for maintenance. No sense a paint job creating future headaches. With mine I made sure I had everything more or less settled internally before getting out the rattle cans. But of course it'll be coming apart now and then for maintenance, maybe tweaking, so I made sure not to gunk up the important stuff too badly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:06 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:
Serious? Well, I guess yours is a little on the 'scary black rifle' side, but not too bad in black. We'll have to talk about it once I get the thing's velocity curve smoothed out and dumping a bit less air after the pellet's left the muzzle. Hardest part is deciding which parts can just be painted over without worrying too much about later dis-assembly for maintenance. No sense a paint job creating future headaches. With mine I made sure I had everything more or less settled internally before getting out the rattle cans. But of course it'll be coming apart now and then for maintenance, maybe tweaking, so I made sure not to gunk up the important stuff too badly.

We will go shoot up at Mission a few times before we settle on a scheme!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:31 pm 

Hm. Mission FT. Maybe a BBQ'd hotdog camo pattern? :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:36 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:
Hm. Mission FT. Maybe a BBQ'd hotdog camo pattern? :D

Kosher please! :P

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:24 am 

Oh, I forgot to mention the weight. After all I'm after a very lightweight carbine, such that when fitted to a violin case (I have quite a few old ones to choose from in various styles) it's still a light package. And just for handling I prefer something light.

So this setup, with the Fastfire III red dot mounted, weighs 3 pounds 13-3/8 ounces, or 1,740 grams.

Overall length is 39.5", or 98cm. Length with the stock detached is about 28-38" or 72cm. Quite convenient for carrying around in a pack, though the shrouded barrel pokes out from about the end of the HiPAC in a small shoulder bag, and about 8" from a more full-sized day pack. Still, very convenient, and most of the weight is in the pistol itself so the barrel isn't sagging outward when zipped up.

Balance point is about 2" ahead of the trigger. Feels nicely balanced for free standing shots. There's enough weight out front to keep it a bit steady compared to a pistol but not so much that it matters physically, so nothing tiring about shooting the thing.

As set up I can get about 36 shots per fill with decent velocity, but to keep them within a reasonable range on either side of the overall average and thereby preserve a meaningful zero out to at least 40 metres I'm filling it less and shooting just 23 shots before topping up to 2,500psi. It drops to about 1,200psi then it's time to hook up the pump.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:12 pm 

Check out this bag for some incognito carrying:

http://www.levelninesports.com/Level-Ni ... fgodEQUAgw

$19 on sale! Needs shipping, but I'd be down to take one and split shipping costs.

Here's another vote for a hotdog themed paint job, Rick. I'll do it if you do it!

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:31 pm 

That'd be nice for a full length rifle. But my longest is the 2240, and it isn't getting any longer. As it stands, with total length at 98cm, there's an extra 42cm in that Level 9 bag to flop around. Bit awkward for transport on Translink and a bit funny looking having a ski bag which isn't filled to the ends with skis. Or carrying a 'junior' ski bag and being 6 feet tall and 53 years old. Nah, I'll stick with a fiddle case. Either a shaped one for lulz or a rectangular one to be a bit more 'serious' about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:46 pm 

Yeah, I would probably just use some solvent to remove the writing on the bag. Looks like it would be pretty supportive, though.

You could always tell people that you're starting off with really small skis? :lol:

Maybe there's a good telescope bag out there that would work... I just don't like that my gun bags are all so obviously gun bags.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:03 pm 

I was thinking maybe a pitch and putt sized golf bag, the sort designed to carry just a few clubs. But it seems they're too short. Perhaps a telescope bag... Or maybe a long artist's drawing tube? Don't know how big they make those. Looks like your Pneuma is about 40" long... What about something like this?
http://www.discountart.com/store/zoom-6 ... -tube.html
Adjusts to any length between 29" and 48" (according to this page - http://www.discountart.com/store/storage-tubes.html - not sure why they don't list specs on the actual product page) and has an inside diameter of 6.75". That big enough? Sure looks anonymous. Oh, right, the scope. Nope, wouldn't work.