Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:41 pm 

I need to remember to stop feeding the trolls.... :mrgreen:

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:51 pm 

That's a hard one. 15 years online now and having been a member of many forums in different fields, even a moderator for a number of years on a tech forum, and yet I still fall for the trolls now and then. They can be sneaky beasts, know where to push the right buttons.

Bob; I'm not sure I followed your tensioning tests. I realise there may have been a small breeze causing the horizontal stringing (frankly I can't think of anything else which could explain such unidirectional consistency at different tensions with such radically shifted POI from one setting to another), but would you say there was more merit to this system from what you've seen so far than, say, applying a CF sleeve with epoxy to stiffen the barrel? With a more potent airgun such as this it might take a 1/4" wall thickness on the CF to sufficiently stiffen it, but would that do the job? Or do you suspect, pending further testing of course to confirm, that this belleville washer tensioning system will prove superior to sleeving?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:25 pm 

Superior, I don't know.... an alternative, perhaps....

Bob

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:27 pm 

Just throwing it out there. What about the trigger? The use of a hydraulic trigger controller can rule out the human factor. Interesting results none the less.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:57 pm 

Yeah, so could a gun vice instead of a rest, but I have neither....

Bob

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:09 pm 

Then Id say set it up upon the best tension to accuracy your happy with. And shoot away Bob.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:19 pm 

rsterne wrote:
Quote:
I would dismiss wind at 950ft/sec unless over 20mph.

Seriously, Jon?.... At 950 fps with a BC of 0.036, at 50 yards the drift is 5.59".... I guess anything up to 5" of drift doesn't matter to you.... :roll:

Bob

Must be some kind of serious wind effect you have in Canada, we don't see that running a lot slower meaning a lot more movement up to around 14mph.
You also fail to notice did testing 20 odd years ago in wind requiring 2.75", in short from 820 to 890 no discernible movement taken in 5 stages!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:34 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:
This Jon yokel just keeps coming back to spout his nonsense eh? From the examples of his work I've seen online, well, hard to make out much through the small, dark images from days gone by, and the chipped paint finishes on some of the work, but suffice to say I'd be scared to pump some of that stuff up to pressure. And here he is in your thread saying things like torque = axial tension on a rod. And now that somehow wind magically ignores pellets if they're moving fast enough. It's head-scratching stuff to be certain.

Get the facts right, I put them right or advise and when I don't they get arsy. Things have moved on but people still stuck in dark ages. Theres no way I would be in vicinity of most of the stuff that goes on regarding HPA on here designed for CO2 meaning 100bar ish, do you really know what happens, thought not look a little closer to home.
If your gonna have dig feel free, I don't mess with tat or produce it, everything withstands more than 1 1/2 times operating minimum. Chips must have wrong person again.

Came on here to give a short report of findings yesterday but since you don't want to know and now will never know, you wont know how far you have to progress.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:36 pm 

Do kindly stick to topic here gentleman. Otherwise the thread will be removed.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:14 pm 

Jon wrote:

Get the facts right, I put them right or advise and when I don't they get arsy. Things have moved on but people still stuck in dark ages. Theres no way I would be in vicinity of most of the stuff that goes on regarding HPA on here designed for CO2 meaning 100bar ish, do you really know what happens, thought not look a little closer to home.
If your gonna have dig feel free, I don't mess with tat or produce it, everything withstands more than 1 1/2 times operating minimum. Chips must have wrong person again.

Came on here to give a short report of findings yesterday but since you don't want to know and now will never know, you wont know how far you have to progress.

English... do you speak it? Sorry Jon, I can't make head or tail of a single thing you just wrote. And yes, please do try to stay on topic. If you think we are worthy, of course.