Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:06 pm 

Can some one tell me if I go to Walmart in Canada Ontario and buy a cross men phantom tomorrow will it be a short piston with a vent hole , or will it be a long piston no vent hole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:30 pm 

You won't know until you open it up, there is a third way that crosman detuned these rifles. You hav to open it up to see what is necessary to bring up the power levels and you also need a pal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:06 am 

If you look down into the cocking slot you might be able to see the piston length.
If you cock it in the store the short piston w/ hole should have a long cocking stroke. The long piston should have a much shorter cocking stroke, maybe only 90 degrees, but hopefully someone can chime in.
So piston holes, length, and lighter springs are the ways I've heard power has been dropped .Is there another way Viratro? Any pix? The best way to drop power imo is with a lighter spring, but I can only imagine they didn't do that because people would simply order strong ones. Plugging the hole is an even easier fix, so maybe the hole method was used because it's cheaper. Whatever the case, a hole is the worst possible way I can imagine to reduce power. If I still needed to stay under 500fps, I'd plug the hole and lighten the spring first thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:19 am 

Bought mine six months ago from Walmart.....short piston…no hole ...weak spring....but like the man said...they tune them in various ways.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:04 pm 

They also have a "midstroke" piston on the newer ones that is shorter than the long piston but longer than the full power piston that is coupled with an extremely weak spring. Looks the the hole in the piston is no longer their method of detuning. It is deceptive in the cocking stroke and averages 380-390 fps with 14.3 grain pellets. Very easy to mod without spare parts to an extremely consistent 475fps, but that's all you'll get before being coil bound.
I do have pics and specs comparing these vs full power but I don't have a photobucket account and I'm not sure how to post pics.
I have this example of phantom and switched over to a full power kit, have been doing some accuracy mods and also have a plan for the old piston... Hopefully coming soon... Now I just need to find a decent wooden stock for this rifle, maybe I can find a gamo 440 or Optimus stock.
Weak spring dimensions: .094 wire, 39-40 coils (including one folded end and other end "raw")
Mid length piston: is approximately 6.3125(seal to base).. longer with the piston face being much thicker than full power, and seal seems to be a sloppy fit in compression tube.

Full power spring: .1205 wire, 37 coils including finished ends
.7355 o.d. .490 I.d.
5.9495 from seal to base

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:52 am 

I can size and post the pix if you want. send the pix to chevota at hotmail along with this threads link.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:42 pm 

Chevota wrote:
I can size and post the pix if you want. send the pix to chevota at hotmail along with this threads link.

I'll send you the pics tonight through email, if you can post them up for others to see that would be stellar.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:57 am 

Viratro's pix. Cropped, sized, and four pix combined into one.
Shiny piston is full power. Longer dark piston is from 500fps Crosman.
Full power spring top, 500 (longer and bent) on bottom.
Last two are measurements of pull power piston.

Attachments:
x.jpg
x.jpg [ 380.78 KiB | Viewed 646 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:29 pm 

Got my Phantom 7 months ago from wholsale sports, Had the hole in the piston, After plugin it, I get 660fps +/- 5fps with 14.3 cphp