Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours


The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

 

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.








Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:16 pm
Posts: 1271
Location: United States
The little flat laser I have uses a push button on the back of the unit. If it's just a light source then why not a regular flashlight?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:05 am
Posts: 88
Chevota wrote:
The little flat laser I have uses a push button on the back of the unit. If it's just a light source then why not a regular flashlight?


Well first, the low divergence and discrete signature which laser provides. Also red light doesn't saturate your
eyes which allows you to switch between viewing in red light, then adapt back to dark conditions. With white
light, or typical LED bluish light, it saturates your rods and cones. You lose whatever night vision you had and
have to re-adapt, which is a much longer process than if light from the red spectrum is used.

Aside from that, anything other than laser would not be in the spirit of of my hobby and videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXEGlfKmspc


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:16 pm
Posts: 1271
Location: United States
You can always use a red filter or red led, but if you gotta have a laser then you gotta have a laser ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:05 am
Posts: 88
Chevota wrote:
You can always use a red filter or red led, but if you gotta have a laser then you gotta have a laser ;)


Yes, you could, but it would not offer the advantages, and be quite wasteful on power.
To clearly illuminate a target at 50+ yards with an LED you may see 45min's to 1hr between
charges running at least a 3W LED @6 ~ 800mA.

On the same cell and a laser, efficiently would net you ~40hrs between charges.
Lets not forget that no matter what range, there will always be a clear, bright
and even light illuminating the target as if you are looking at a screen with any
ole scope. Its not only a must, but a 'no contest' comparison IMO :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:16 pm
Posts: 1271
Location: United States
I was under the impression you would be shooting rats n stuff at 2-5M. Led's can shoot a fair beam, but back to your night vision I think a laser thru a scope will be too much and you'll suffer. Unless of course you detune the laser or spread it. I think a red or white led making a fairly tight beam would be excellent. I was also assuming you wanted the light very dim so it won't spook the varmints, so I was picturing 20-30mA. A good scope can see better at night than the naked eye, like being able to hunt in the moonlight, so I was picturing a little 20mA led would be for nights w/o moonlight.
Just bouncing ideas off you so don't get the impression I'm telling you what to do or saying you're wrong.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:16 pm
Posts: 1787
JWFX wrote:
Aside from that, anything other than laser would not be in the spirit of of my hobby and videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXEGlfKmspc


Very nice! I'd be very nervous about an accidental reflection or having the beam zip off into the distance and causing chaos with something like that, but very cool.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:05 am
Posts: 88
EverHopeful wrote:
JWFX wrote:
Aside from that, anything other than laser would not be in the spirit of of my hobby and videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXEGlfKmspc


Very nice! I'd be very nervous about an accidental reflection or having the beam zip off into the distance and causing chaos with something like that, but very cool.


Yeah that is something you need to keep in mind. This is a pic from the ISS from an experiment setup using
a 800mW 445nm laser with basic optics. If this was one of my lasers, you would surly see a glow in the glass
of the window lol

Goggles are something you do not operate a class 4 laser with out 8)


Attachments:
800mW Space Station.jpg
800mW Space Station.jpg [ 58.35 KiB | Viewed 308 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:49 pm
Posts: 132
Location: Winnipeg
JWFX wrote:
EverHopeful wrote:
JWFX wrote:
Aside from that, anything other than laser would not be in the spirit of of my hobby and videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXEGlfKmspc


Very nice! I'd be very nervous about an accidental reflection or having the beam zip off into the distance and causing chaos with something like that, but very cool.


Yeah that is something you need to keep in mind. This is a pic from the ISS from an experiment setup using
a 800mW 445nm laser with basic optics. If this was one of my lasers, you would surly see a glow in the glass
of the window lol

Goggles are something you do not operate a class 4 laser with out 8)


Haha that's awesome!!! I was at the Arizona Science and Astronomy Show two years ago when Astronaut Don Pettit told of this experiment on the ISS and lots of other great tales!!! Amazing guy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:05 am
Posts: 88
Just found a new photo from that experiment and it lit up the ISS lol I forgot the range while typing
but its pretty obvious in this pic. The laser im working on right now is over 10x that power with an
additional 4x the range via beam expansion and lowered divergence.
Gotta love today's tech :mrgreen:

http://d1jqu7g1y74ds1.cloudfront.net/wp ... re-088.jpg

*full article http://www.universetoday.com/93987/amat ... e-station/


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

phpBB SEO