Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:44 pm 

Hey folks,

So here is my first new air rifle I purchased in the spring of 2014.
It came on sale around Christmas 2013 but at the time decided against buying it until I spent more time researching reviews on the rifle. It came on sale again somewhere in March or April last year and after reading almost exclusively positive reviews I was quick to snatch one up for the sale price of $199.99. I haven't been able to shoot much and as such only have about 250 pellets through it but am hoping to get out this coming spring and really break-in this rifle.

The first thing I wanted to do was modify the trigger as the biggest complaint going against this rifle was the trigger pull length and weight. I noticed right away that this was indeed a justified complaint as the trigger was frankly quite awful. This coming from a completely new enthusiast too... So, my journey eventually led to a video on the youtube of a guy that showed how a simple RC bearing could be used in modifying the trigger. Naturally, I didn't want to drive a 2-hour round trip to my closest hobby store (Kingston) or wait weeks for shipping to get one of these tiny bearings so I decided that a brass ring would suffice. I also already had the gun apart and didn't want to wait so long that I forgot where everything went, so I decided to see what all else I could do while I had it apart. The only other complaint about the gun was that most people found the gun was dripping wet with oil when they unboxed it, as did I. So I decided I would clean then properly lubricate everything where needed with moly and new oil.

Upon taking the action out and seperating the barrel I quickly noticed that the plastic bushings in the receiver forks were already showing signs of irregular wear. There was even shavings of plastic in and around the area, eek. One was even pressed so tightly into the seat that I had to pry it out with a small blade.

Here's a picture of the factory bushing;
Surprisingly, both were exactly 65 thou.

And here are the replacements I made. I made 4 in total since I already had the bar spinning in the lathe, why not right.
I finished them oversized slightly figuring it would take up any slack in the pivoting action but quickly discovered that the tolerance was basically 65 thou. So, I had to file and sand these down to take off the excess. I greased them on both sides when I installed them and it made an immediately noticeable difference in the smoothness of the pivot action, sweet.

Here are all the brass parts I turned that day (with the old bushings);

And, here's what they look like when installed;

Next I took the dimensions of the RC bearing (5x8x2.5mm) and turned a ring from brass for my trigger roller;

Installed on the trigger;
I applied some grease in and around the ring when I put it in.

And, the trigger group reassembled.
Since I used a ring and not a bearing I wanted some play so that there was less chance of it binding. I'm sure it would take thousands of pulls to wear a flat on the ring and that's considering the ring never rotates, which it will. ;) So I didn't hesitate using brass over stainless. This mod also involved removing the second spring load as well, so not only does the ring shorten the pull but it's much much lighter, buttery smooth, and there is zero wiggle in any direction whether cocked or not. This also opens the possibility to trying different sized rings to find that just-right length...I'm quite satisfied with mine now though.

The next thing I did was turn a small mild steel (3/4") spacer for the rear spring block.
This seems to be a well known/used method of bringing this rifle closer to the ~500fps mark since it's common knowledge that these guns run anywhere from 380-450(max)fps out-of-box. I don't have a chrony (yet) to check this but will definitely be making the small investment into getting one soon.

This particular gun's detune method uses the larger piston and weaker spring rather than the ported piston. The weaker springs have been identified as (always) having one end factory flattened and the other end simply cut. This leaves a very sharp, unflattened, and miniscule surface area for the spring to seat on.

So to try and correct this I made a flat on the "cut" end of the main spring by simply grinding a small portion of the last coil. This is what the factory flattened end looks like;

And this is what I did to the cut end;
It's not much, but I noticed it had been scratching a ring around the spring guide tube as well as chattering around the rear block which was noticeably deforming it. There are reports of guys heating and flattening the last coil down and further grinding the crown off, but I didn't want to go to all the bother as I'm contemplating a nitro upgrade down the road anyways.

It also seats down much better now than on the original sharp and pointy tip of coil. I think this contributed to lessening the twang also.

I thoroughly cleaned then regreased and oiled all the appropriate components and put it all back together. So now it breaks open and snaps shut easier, smoother, and quieter. There is NO twang at all as I rubbed a thing coat of grease on the spring itself. The trigger pulls quick and easy and the gun fires much much quieter now and with more of a quick thud than the twangy 'crack' before.

That's it for now! If you have any suggestions or ideas for other mods or think I've done something blasphemous or otherwise horribly wrong, feel free to let me know, I'm very new to all of this!

Future intended mods include adding a modular bipod and modular strap rings. I will post those as I do them as well!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:00 pm 

Aside from what looks to be the spring guide, and spring, that looks identical to the benji trail I have.
Some good ideas there, liking the bushings! Nice work :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:16 pm 

Hey man, thanks! :D

The most noteable difference between the Classic and the Trail is yours has a picatinny/weaver rail whereas mine has the dovetail. Also, the Trail has a larger OD barrel and what looks to be strap mounts(?). What's less noticeable is the Trail has a larger and slightly differently shaped stock with a bumper on the bottom of the pistol grip which the Classic (sadly) does not have. :(

I removed the awkward looking and cheaply made (plastic) "muzzle brake" from mine also. I would however love to add a proper one that actually performs...Undecided though as to whether I would want it blued steel to match the barrel or polished aluminum.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:42 am 

Please let me know how well those trigger bushings work. If this is an improvement, I will buy a few from you for my Classic.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:23 am 

The trigger Mod has been done using several deferent methods from washers to spacers, I found the chain link bearing to work great 8)
here is a link to the Mod if interested : topic55670.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:27 am 

The trigger bushing will help, but there is a much better mod, and easier than lathe turning that washer. Speaking of washers, those side washers can be improved on too. Plus other mods can be done to the gun. If you want the info write me at chevota at hotmail because it's too much to post here.

I would make an alum brake in black. If you want, I have the part # for the old steel brakes, which cost me ~$5 last time I bought some maybe 3 years ago. They're actually very nice.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:53 pm 

Nice to see a gun getting the care it deserves. The need to compete on price means the manufacturers are shipping guns half finished, but if you have the time and skill to tidy them up it does make for a bargain. Seriously though, they should be ashamed of shipping the spring in that state.