Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:45 pm 

That sounds pretty good Gerald.

I think that will improve your shooting by a ton.

I can't wait any more, it is only two Sundays away. I love to shoot and plink for hours. When I was a kid on the farm, there were fishing hunting, and farming. With the result I've spend hundreds of hours killing flies, geckos on our tile roof of the house. I shot birds and anything my Daisy could kill.

Me and Wayne shot until it was dark. Man we had fun, trying to hit things.

See you guys in a week and a half.

B

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:55 am 

Yep, I'm really looking forward to it, too! Not much fun shooting at 30 ft at home, compared to shooting at that spoon way up on the hill.

I've been trying to find another good target to place up there, I'll figure something out before next Sunday.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:44 am 

I'm stoked to hear that my droop compensation mount is in the mail. Thanks D&L ! The long wait for the mailman starts.....

This mount and the scope Rick sold me should do the trick. Just need a shooting stick now. Something low as I plan on sitting this time around.

For fun I taped up the Stoeger. Sure makes holding it a lot easier. Looks not bad but it was a first time attempt and I ran out of one type and switched to an other around the trigger area. Might paint it black at some point, but this will do for now.

More to come....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:44 pm 

Oh I think I've got a good target. I bought some plastic teaspoons, chrome. They should make a great target way up the hill. Nice and bright to shoot at.

The dollar store has great targets, go shop around.

See you guys later.

B

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:53 pm 

I've modified my 8.5"X8.5" steel plate target so that it hold a dollar store mint more securely, a swinging latch to hold down the top of the mint. No more jumping out with edge hits on the hole - it'll take a direct hit on the mint to blow it to pieces. Probably set this one slightly closer, as a 9/16" hole at ~55 metres was probably asking too much.

And I've made a rocking target out of 3/4" UHMW polyethylene and 3/8" steel rod. Should probably stand up to .22"LR should other folks choose to hit it between FT meetings, though I'm not sure about heavier calibres. But the spoon has survived so far... No *ding* when hit but I expect it'll rock nicely with anything over about 10fpe. About a 2.5" square area to shoot at, any higher and it probably won't rock.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:37 pm 

Looks like the weather is on our side! They're calling for clear skies this weekend. I know things could change in a heartbeat, but I prefer to stay optimistic!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:54 pm 

It'll be great if it was anywhere nearly as nice as last month, that was great.

My wife asked me this morning "Oh, are you going shooting next Sunday?" Sounded so innocent but I know her... so I asked if she'd booked a shift. Yup. She signed up for an afternoon nursing shift. So now she's searching for someone else to trade with, and failing that says she'll cancel. Bless her, she remembered that she'd agreed more than a month ago that last Sundays of the month are off limits for me unless I say otherwise. Heck, a guy's got to be off kid duty ONE DANG DAY A MONTH!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:02 pm 

Good stuff! If you want, we can stick some of those Shoot-N-C target stickers to that soap bar you made. That does look perfect for up the hill! It'll be around for many shoots to come.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:07 pm 

The point with the plastic is that it stays clean and white, easy to see even after years in the sun and rain, with no maintenance. I think stickers might take something away from that. Of course if someone else comes along and shoots it with a .308" or something, well, it might not be there for March. But for now I think the flashing of it swinging when hit should be sign enough that someone's got a hit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:30 pm 

I suppose getting that swinging at all will be quite a challenge. Do you remember how many yards out that was from the original shooting line?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:07 pm 

I'll bring the rangefinder and make a map for keeping handy later, but if memory serves the steel plate was at about 45 or 50 yards. The spoon on the hill must have been at least 60 yards.

As for the energy needed to get it swinging... I don't want to test that at home. The UHMW is a bit too bouncy for close range safety, likely to get a ricochet either in the face or hitting a fiddle or bass around the shop. I figured it for a long range target so anything coming back isn't going to return more than half way back to the line.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:37 pm 

No worries guys, I'll bring my FX, I'm sure I'll be able to make your soap bar swing with my 30 foot pounder.

See you guys Sunday
Can't wait

B

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:28 am 

I don't know if it'll stand up to that kind of hit. At the range where I'd put it, up near the spoon, your FX is still going to hit with between 10 and 12fpe. Plastic might not take it, but it might, hard to guess. I shot it this evening with my weakest airgun, the Webley Junior which delivers a whopping 1.4fpe at the muzzle. Shot from 1 foot away:
Plainly power isn't key in getting this thing to swing. It's a very low friction plastic loosely fitted over smooth steel, with a dab of moly to keep the steel inside from rusting too soon. Anything over about 5fpe at target is going to be plenty to swing it visibly.

Weird feature I stumbled across on my phone's camera (Samsung Note 3), makes editable GIF images, lets me choose which areas move and which stay still. But there are artifacts like the ghosting you can see around the plastic as it swings. Playing with it to learn the parameters as it's kind of fun.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:20 am 

Man, that's a cool feature on your phone! Looks like the more powerful guns will really get that plastic moving.

Well, weather is still looking good for Sunday! To keep things going, I'm going to offer to bring a platter of sandwiches for everyone. Do we know how many people are coming out? Seems like at least 6 of us, but we sure got a lot more last time!

Anyone who's planning to show up, please let us know, and I will adjust accordingly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:36 pm 

Barfman wrote:
Man, that's a cool feature on your phone! Looks like the more powerful guns will really get that plastic moving.

Well, weather is still looking good for Sunday! To keep things going, I'm going to offer to bring a platter of sandwiches for everyone. Do we know how many people are coming out? Seems like at least 6 of us, but we sure got a lot more last time!

Anyone who's planning to show up, please let us know, and I will adjust accordingly.

Thanks Mike!!!

I will bring pop and waters for a dozen people.

Oh!
And I will have two gifts for the first and second place shooters on Sunday!
No I won't say what they are. You have to show up and compete!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next