Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:01 am 

There has been a lot of talk online about 3D printers and guns. but what about parts for air guns.

could usefull parts be made for air guns from 3d printers.

could a mold be made to make replacement seal's. I know there are liquid plastics, that once hard can be used for seals. so what about a mold to make them.

rails, grips and other small parts.

what about a small group of people getting togerther and testing some idea's out could some usefull things be learned.

I would be interested to get other peoples idea's and or thought's on this one.
any taker's.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:01 am 

Absolutely parts can be made. :)

Question is, how far do you go to make "something" which you could buy for $5..even $20. Doing something for the challenge of doing it is something I DO understand, but there is always a limit. Sure wouldn't spend my time trying to make o-rings. :lol:

Al

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:25 am 

Funny you should mention that, I was thinking about 3d printing only yesterday. As I was turning most of a 1/2" slab of aluminium into chips (boring 3/4 and 7/8 holes through it to make a bracket) I couldn't help think how wasteful the process was - subtractive vs additive construction techniques. Being able to 3d print it would have been nice. There are definitely places where being able to make various plastic shapes would be useful, depending on the accuracy and strength of the resulting parts. I tried making moulds and casting plastic recently, and that's a useful addition to the toolkit. But it is prone to errors at every stage and presents it's own challenges for complex shapes (mostly of the 'now how do I get this out of the mould?' type). 3d printing would be nice, but like so many things, the startup costs are a bit high.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:45 pm 

Here is a link to a guy here in the USA that sells 3D stuff he makes http://www.alchemyairwerks.com/store/c6 ... _Room.html

Jim

Crosman 2240 stubby
Crosman 116
Crosman Vigilante
Crosman shiloh
Daisy 1140
Beeman p17
ruger mark 1
hatsan supercharger 25 in .22
Crosman 2260
Crosman AS2250
Winchester M14

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:25 pm 

There was someone on here printing a repeater breach for QBs my buddy has one and it works OK.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:46 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:
Funny you should mention that, I was thinking about 3d printing only yesterday. As I was turning most of a 1/2" slab of aluminium into chips (boring 3/4 and 7/8 holes through it to make a bracket) I couldn't help think how wasteful the process was - subtractive vs additive construction techniques. Being able to 3d print it would have been nice. There are definitely places where being able to make various plastic shapes would be useful, depending on the accuracy and strength of the resulting parts. I tried making moulds and casting plastic recently, and that's a useful addition to the toolkit. But it is prone to errors at every stage and presents it's own challenges for complex shapes (mostly of the 'now how do I get this out of the mould?' type). 3d printing would be nice, but like so many things, the startup costs are a bit high.

Well i have looked at every 3d printer on the planet as of late, Here's what i found out so far.
about a year or so ago most 3d printers were hard to setup and keep working. Now there are alot that work right out of the box, but there still are details, some will only work with plastic
from one source or two.

There are some new ones comming out this year that will be cheap to buy easy to use and easy to add to or hack as well. under $500 US. I also have a source for the plastic in Bulk. That why this idea came up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:01 pm 

Interesting! Keep us informed if you go ahead, that's for sure something I'd like to know more about.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:49 pm 

I have looked into this quite a bit, but haven't had anything printed yet.
The most practical method I could find was to go through a 3d printing service. Shapeways (www.shapeways.com), in New York, seems to be the cheapest, but there are also places in Canada like 3dprintingservicescanada.com. I have no association with either.

Shapeways print in everything from cheap plastic, to steel, to gold. It is fairly cheap, and is based on volume of raw material used (essentially weight).
For example brass costs $10USD, per run, plus $16USD per cubic cm. Plastics are around $2.50, a run, plus $3USD per cubic cm.

One possible issue with the printing is the tolerance you require. Every material has a different accuracy tolerance and I am sure some would not be adequate for some internal mechanisms.

To design the part, I would recommend Blender (www.blender.org). It is completely free (unlike most other 3D CAD software that are in the hundreds of dollars). Note, however, that you need a fast computer and patience as it is quite complex - this is generally true for 3D CAD. I have found it difficult to use and I am a computer engineer. None-the-less, there are several videos, that can take you step by step through a particular task.

Once you have your design compete with Blender, you export it into a file that you can send directly to the 3D printing company.
They will then verify that it is printable. There are various restrictions based on the 3D printing process and then more restrictions based on the material.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:38 am 

EverHopeful wrote:
Interesting! Keep us informed if you go ahead, that's for sure something I'd like to know more about.

hi the printer i was looking at is called the micro by a company called M3D it is a US based company. The printer will be shipping by end of this month. In my case it may be more like mid summer before i do anything other things happening called life.

I have seen alot of stuff printed like hand grips rails lens caps. not my area of no-how. but i like the idea of a mold for o-rings and seals.

Because if someone were able to do custom work in making seals and the like it could help
a lot of people out. I would like to learn how to fix this kind of stuff. but i know in most cases
it takes a lot of no-how. I once helped out sombody i knew who needed to make a firing pin for a very small gun. My idea was to grind down an old worn out drill bit, worked like a charm.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:36 am 

Wow, only $349 on pre-order. If the exchange rate hadn't tanked so far I'd almost be tempted at that. Dang, now there's another expensive tool on the wishlist.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:50 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:
Wow, only $349 on pre-order. If the exchange rate hadn't tanked so far I'd almost be tempted at that. Dang, now there's another expensive tool on the wishlist.

no kidding. There are others that look good and easy to use but the other ones i have seen use
a cartridge system for the plastic so it's cost to operate go way up. No good.

with the standard system in place i can get the plastic super cheap in bulk.
A good thing in deed i will be keeping my eye on these things as they progress.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:40 am 

Drat, this idea just wouldn't go away and I've been obsessing over it. There are some nice looking printers on ebay as DIY kits. I love the engineering of the Kossel delta style printers, but the Prusa i3 looks a lot more practical (and cheaper). If the loonie hadn't tanked I'd probably have just got one of those at about $400 US, but that's just a bit steep for making plastic shapes :) So, OCD in full swing, I've been pricing up individual parts. It looks like by shopping around and building my own frame I can get the cost of the core systems down to about $300 CAD, which spread out over several months won't seem so bad. Orders for the first bits have gone off, and I can bail out at any stage if I decide I'm not up to the build. (If I'm disciplined about the order of purchase I should be able to use most of the stuff for other projects if it all goes South).

What's your source for cheap filament? That seems to be something of a sticking point in the plan, difficult to find pla or abs for less than about 35 to $40 cad/kg, and nylon seems to be about twice that. Nylon seems to be the holy grail for printing structural parts, so it sure would be nice if I could get that working well and affordably.

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:16 pm 

You would have to be very selective in whatever your making, on paper it sounds good, in reality it can be worthless and cost more than machined out aluminium 6082 plus be big and bulky on like for like items.

Attaching two parts together is problematic using sintered nylon, nuts pull through the plastic like butter hence a lot of plastic stuff up for sale made by this process.