Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Rebuilding Crosman 600
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:53 pm 

I am rebuilding this Crosman 600 for my step dad, He has had it for a LONG time, He took it apart to give it a good cleaning and it has not worked for about 10 years+.

So I am going to get it working for him and tune it up a bit (to just under 500 fps) He was nice enough to bring some pellets for it in case I didn't have any (lol I have about a dozen different .22 pellets) Take a look at the price tag and the tin he gave me for an idea of how long he has had it.

Anyway any tips on the tuning part would be great. I know all the parts are in it, he just put it together wrong.

She is a little rough around the edges but a nice shooter non the less, I find the semi auto system really cool.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:09 pm 

Some Points and Tips, more to care and operation, than tuning and repair.

It is my understanding, that exteme care must be taken with this gun; many of the internals are made from "Unobtainium". . . .

Without re-barrelling (longer than stock) there ain't no way you're gonna get 500 out of it. Low 400's are a much more realistic figure.

Very Cool Gun! Hope it all works out!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:22 pm 

Dave Gunter in the U.S. (used?) to do a very good job tuning 600s.

I had one tuned up quite a few years ago that he increased from the factory setting (about 370ish) to the mid 400s.

http://www.airgunartisans.com/AADaveGunter.htm

Good luck!

:)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:48 pm 

I should have said "Closer to 500 fps" I just hope to give it back to him close to its former glory with maybe a little more pep.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:03 pm 

Two of the most important pieces are the pawl and the cam. Both do not like side pressure. They will snap quite easily. If they are tight re align and try again. As for more power. Not much above 440 from a factorh bbl. Can tweek hammer tension a bit but at a cost of Co2. Valve wise a good polishing will help.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:10 pm 

I have heard that a lot of the modern pellets do not work that well since they are pointed or rounded. If you need more of the ones from the red tins let me know, I have some new ones left.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:24 pm 

averagejoe wrote:
I have heard that a lot of the modern pellets do not work that well since they are pointed or rounded. If you need more of the ones from the red tins let me know, I have some new ones left.

CPHPs seem to work just fine; as I recall.

I will hopefully be getting another 600 next week - so will have the opportunity to try them again.

:)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:44 am 

wllm995 wrote:
I will hopefully be getting another 600 next week - so will have the opportunity to try them again.

Awesome - congratulations. What sort of money do these change hands for now? If I was a collector this would be high on my list of desirables. It's rather sad that the crosman pistols of yester-year seem to be much more interesting and better built than their current models.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:33 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:
wllm995 wrote:

Awesome - congratulations. What sort of money do these change hands for now? If I was a collector this would be high on my list of desirables. It's rather sad that the crosman pistols of yester-year seem to be much more interesting and better built than their current models.

Usually somewhere in the $250 range; in my case this one was acquired for services rendered - so no money changed hands.

8)