Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours


The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

 

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.








Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:16 pm
Posts: 1787
Viratro wrote:
Has anyone legitimately researched this without the response being "I think" or "I heard"?

Hi Paulo, that's a reasonable question. I think ( :) ) that several people here have tried quite hard to research this issue, and other related ones. The problem is that Canadian law as it applies to airguns is remarkably difficult to interpret, and apparently self contradictory in places. Under the circumstances most of us consider it best to take a conservative approach and so avoid any possible negative outcomes.

One of the foundations of the application of the law at a practical level is the firearms reference table (FRT) - a database used by the police that contains the Canadian classification of every gun type. Most regrettably, it's not available for public access. When dealing with a potential firearms related offence the police will use the database to determine the type of the gun as manufactured. In the case of Crosman guns the type is determined by the gas tube which caries the serial number and model information. The consensus amongst those who have tried to look into this is that the police will use the classification from the FRT and only add offences for any modifications, not redact them. (i.e. if you shorten a rifle below the legal minimum you get hit, but lengthening a pistol doesn't get you any credit in the eyes of the law). The FRT will specify that a 2240 is a pistol shooting less than 500 fps. So if they seize it and measure an FPS in excess of that they will likely prosecute on the basis of an unlicensed restricted weapon. One option for legally modifying a 2240 to higher fps is to replace the gas tube with a 2260 tube, since the tube defines the FRT classification. However, 2260 tubes run $60 to $70, so it's not a cost effective option. Converting a 2240 to a rifle configuration and tuning it to make sure it stays below 500 fps should be fine, as in the eyes of the law nothing has changed, it's still a pistol and still <500 fps. Presumably you could convert it to higher speeds, if you hold an rpal, register the gun and get an ATT for it. But who would do that?

So, if you are looking for a project which will result in an airgun shooting >500 fps, the 2240 is most probably not the right choice. Assuming you're in Canada. You are in Canada right? Otherwise I just wasted my time :)

I have had lots of fun modifying 2240 and 1377, but am very careful to keep them <500. The QB78 looks like an excellent platform and I'm very tempted to try working with one of those in the future. Ditto the 2078, although it's a bit more money up front. Alternatively, depending on what you are most interested in, you could start with something already pcp. Bob gets fantastic results building on the disco platform, and if I held a PAL I'd be very tempted by a B50 or B51

http://www.airgunforum.ca/store/product ... ucts_id=98

Jim


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:35 pm
Posts: 295
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
This is not hearsay. It is fact. Call your local RCMP and ask them. The word on this forum is good. The advice given is sound. You want a rifle get the qb. You want a pistol get a pistol. You asked for good honest advice and it was given...

_________________
Be safe and have fun!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:29 pm
Posts: 6186
Location: Okanagan,BC
Viratro wrote:
Nope, actually you are, for the simple reason of being unable to provide fact. That's all it takes. And thanks again for hijacking the thread


YOU are the one who asked for advice.

Quote:
The firearm that I asked the CFC technician about was the Crosman 2250. It's restricted. I think the gas tube is the same length as the 2400.

Even if you managed to get all the parts and assemble yourself a 2250 or 2400KT (10"+ bbl), I think you would still have a "pistol" according to Canadian law. The 2400KT rifle is the new name for the 2250. To have it classed as under 500fps, you would have to send it to be tested by a recognized authority (likely RCMP).


IS the RCMP/CFC not good enough for you??

35 going on 10.


:butthead:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:46 am
Posts: 4119
Viratro wrote:
Proper advice... Hahaha
Show me the actual written statute.
And for arguments sake, it's a 2260.
Damn, I didn't realize that no one can ask a justified question and then get persecuted for asking for an answer that was backed by legitimate fact, which no one seems able to produce.

I must be delusional that hearsay is not law. I was unaware that it was illegal to ask a question. Don't worry sheeple, I won't ask. I'm good.


lol....now your saying its a 2260...smooth.. nice try..your all over the place and you haven't got a clue :toimonster:

_________________
"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle"

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:29 pm
Posts: 6186
Location: Okanagan,BC
He must be a troll - nobody could be that dense.

And he started out so well.

topic66050.html

:roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:20 am
Posts: 28
Oh, by the way, if what you say is fact, then the sticky 22xx mod site post needs a serious disclaimer on it regarding what has been said, because ANY one mod will take to over the 500 fps mark pretty much and it is now a restricted fire arm. And with that being said... We should probably persecute any and all who have anything to do with that sticky at the very top of the mods and repair section.
GFY

_________________
Paulo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:29 pm
Posts: 6186
Location: Okanagan,BC
Viratro wrote:
Oh, by the way, if what you say is fact, then the sticky 22xx mod site post needs a serious disclaimer on it regarding what has been said, because ANY one mod will take to over the 500 fps mark pretty much and it is now a restricted fire arm. And with that being said... We should probably persecute any and all who have anything to do with that sticky at the very top of the mods and repair section.
GFY


NOT true!

You can do all sorts of mods to the basic 2240 without it going over 500 fps.

Open your eyes; oh silly and immature one (6?). Lots and lots of posts here on the forum regarding that exact same subject.

:mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:20 am
Posts: 28
Ever hopeful, thank you for the time to be level headed and to give an intelligent response.

But I have I ask who is a moderator here? Do me a favor... Delete my account here. I don't have time for dim-witted ignorant pig farming clowns.

_________________
Paulo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:29 pm
Posts: 6186
Location: Okanagan,BC
Viratro wrote:
Ever hopeful, thank you for the time to be level headed and to give an intelligent response.

But I have I ask who is a moderator here? Do me a favor... Delete my account here I don't have time for dim-witted ignorant pig farming clowns.


Most intelligent thing you've said here today!

Please; please just leave and spare us your idiotic babel.

You can just never come back - and make us ALL happy.

:)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:04 pm
Posts: 841
Location: Nova Scotia
Viratro wrote:
Ever hopeful, thank you for the time to be level headed and to give an intelligent response.

But I have I ask who is a moderator here? Do me a favor... Delete my account here. I don't have time for dim-witted ignorant pig farming clowns.



Now you did it, insulting hog farmers is the last straw! I was one for a number of years and the hog farmers I knew were the salt of the earth, hard working and honest. None were dim-witted as they ran rather large businesses and had to be able to manage personnel and business problems. :evil:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:29 pm
Posts: 6186
Location: Okanagan,BC
Viratro wrote:
dim-witted ignorant clown.


I think that he is actually referring to himself.

In fact; I'm sure of it.

:wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:35 pm
Posts: 3099
Location: Alberta Canada
Locked due to the immature manner persons address themselves.

_________________
May the cry of the pack be with you upon your hunt

Whitewolf


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

phpBB SEO