Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Anyone use FreeCAD?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:20 am 

Hi,

I usually do all my design work freehand in pencil, so I thought it was high time I kicked it up a bit and learned some CAD. I've been trying the open source FreeCAD program. It seems powerful, if a bit buggy and incomplete. I'm finding the learning curve pretty steep, so I was wondering if there were any users here that could share ideas and techniques.

Problems aside, I'm finding the process of building models in software really helps to clarify my ideas about what I'm trying to build. And a set of models on the computer ought to provide a better history if I need to build something again than the current stack of oily paper that's threatening to swallow up my workbench!!

Here's the beginnings of a model that I started this morning for the slide of an adjustable butt

Attachment:
slider.jpeg
slider.jpeg [ 51.42 KiB | Viewed 807 times ]

Once I finalise the sizes I can generate 2d views to take into the shop. Seems pretty cool to me.

So far I've only managed to do this sort of simple model containing a single part. I haven't worked out how to create more complex models with multiple parts fitting together.

Jim

Post subject: Re: Anyone use FreeCAD?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:03 am 

Finished (?) up the model of the stock side of the slide...

Attachment:
slider-top.jpeg
slider-top.jpeg [ 44.2 KiB | Viewed 785 times ]

Attachment:
slider-bottom.jpeg
slider-bottom.jpeg [ 54.46 KiB | Viewed 785 times ]

Attachment:
slide-3view.jpeg
slide-3view.jpeg [ 100.58 KiB | Viewed 785 times ]

Now to see if I can make it :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:07 am 

Thanks for pointing this software out. I have been a visio user for years and it has served well in my work but I think I could sure use some 3D capability so I will sure try this out.

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:24 pm 

I had a lot of problems when I got started with the current version (version 14) and when I asked on the forums I was recommended to try the not-yet-released next version. That fixed a lot of my problems, but it means that I'm working with a rather unstable work-in-progress version of the software. I'm told that the next release should be soonish, but I don't know if that's a weeks or months sort of deal. It seems to be mostly developed in Europe, so it works natively in mm. Support for inches was badly broken in version 14 which was frustrating. I nearly gave up on it, but they do seem to be making steady progress.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:40 pm 
Supporting Member 2013

ive messed around with a bunch of programs , rhino , heeks , turbo,sketchup , auto....and many more , i always going back to my pencil.
i do like making some 3d designs and one program i liked alot was actually one of the most hated ,''bob cad'' . ... not sure if its workes any better for the cad/cam section , but it was not working well at all v24 and back .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:44 pm 

I just started a free trial of Smart Draw
Love the program but it is $200 for a full version

Here is one of my CAD's
Attachment:
Screenshot (72).png
Screenshot (72).png [ 165.35 KiB | Viewed 732 times ]

Brennan 8)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:06 pm 

Could also check out LibreCAD and DraftSight....I like DraftSight as it's very similar to AutoCAD....only 2d, but good'nuff for construction drawings.

Al

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:47 pm 

I use draft sight for my plasma stuff. Really like the flow of it....but as was mentioned it is 2d only.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:24 pm 

Laugh if you must, but I've been using the "free" version of SketchUp with great success for about a year now (once you learn how to use it). Does everything I need - 2D, 3D, 360* viewing, solid view, ghost view, etc, etc...

I use to use AutoCad to draw house blueprints as a side job, but when my computer crashed (and didn't have the coin for a new drafting program) I thought I would give SketchUp a try. I'm no computer whiz so it took me a bit to get the hang of it, but I don't think(?) there is much that SketchUp can't do compared to AutoCad.

Just a quick example of one of the projects I'm working on using SketchUp(no copying!! :lol: ):
Attachment:
m_Sketchup example.jpg
m_Sketchup example.jpg [ 25.3 KiB | Viewed 673 times ]
Attachment:
m_Sketchup ghost example.jpg
m_Sketchup ghost example.jpg [ 28.11 KiB | Viewed 673 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:18 pm 

Hey Todd, that looks great - both from a software and an airgun point of view! I've been thinking of trying a sidelever breech - I hope you don't think I'm copying if I ever get around to making it!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:07 pm 

No problem, Jim...I look forward to seeing what you come up with! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:24 pm 

I'm currently doing one that takes the marauder mags, with a normal bolt action. It's at the working-but-ugly stage right now. I've got a chamfering cutter on order, so when that arrives I'll face up the top and sides (currently still mill finish :oops: ) and put a bevel around it. A coat of paint and it should look half decent, and it sure is fun to use. The marauder mags are great, but it's a bit too easy to double feed pellets. If you hesitate during cocking, or your finger slips off the bolt you can be left unsure of whether you've chambered a round or not. Worse is if the second pellet gets stuck half in and half out of the barrel, locking the magazine in place :shock: That wasn't a whole lot of fun, and is what got me thinking about a sidelever - less chance of a half-cock, so to speak.

I remember now why I passed over sketchup when I was looking for software - they only mention Windows and Mac versions, and I wanted something for Linux. I may have to re-think that one, as sketchup looks a lot more finished than FreeCAD. Still, it's doing the job so far. Got to see if I can put more than one part into a model so that I can see how things fit together.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:43 pm 

Making progress :)

Attachment:
slide.jpeg
slide.jpeg [ 55.91 KiB | Viewed 647 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:35 pm 

Attachment:
slide.jpg
slide.jpg [ 165.11 KiB | Viewed 586 times ]