Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Paint to gun, good idea?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:02 pm 

Love the green version of this gun,
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Walther_CP99_Compact/735

Anyway I can paint the gun to different color. I had some experience in paint plastic models, from spraycan to some airbrush level.
But what is a good paint choice for steel and plastic/rubber pistol, epoxy and paint together?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:09 pm 

I have used krylon for all of my spray can paint jobs
Use lots of clear coat - also krylon
I have used at least five coats of clear coat and it is very durable
I have had good success with just the spray can
My setup has worked fine with plastic and metal, just take your time and it works fine - have not tryed on rubber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:39 pm 

theoffroader wrote:
My setup has worked fine with plastic and metal, just take your time and it works fine - have not tryed on rubber

Great paint jobs! Sponge method used? That's the technique I am planning to do for my guns soon.

One more, probably obvious tip, make sure you give the gun a super clean before you paint and try not to mix and match different brand spray paints! Too many times I've had to sand down an area an repaint due to cracking of the paint :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:23 pm 

Yes, very nice job.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:28 pm 

awesome job, i am completely inspired, tomorrow walmart. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:00 pm 

M3ga3T wrote:
theoffroader wrote:

Great paint jobs! Sponge method used? That's the technique I am planning to do for my guns soon.

One more, probably obvious tip, make sure you give the gun a super clean before you paint and try not to mix and match different brand spray paints! Too many times I've had to sand down an area an repaint due to cracking of the paint :oops:

Thanks,
I used some sound foam that i use for speakers and projects, same stuff as foam paint brushes
Very easy to do and take your time - lots of imperfections on the talon - the 1377 faired a lot better
Use lots of clear coats so that it will last a life time
Make sure that there is no gun oils or grease or it will make a mess, the talon came as a main frame so i did not have to worry about it
Will give as much advise as i can about the sponge method - was going to do another aint job today but can not find my base coat - only my secondary colors

DougP wrote:
Yes, very nice job.

Thank You :)

modeler wrote:
awesome job, i am completely inspired, tomorrow walmart. :lol:

Thank You too!
I got all of my supplies at wally world and they are the cheapest - except when Canadian tire has a sale on

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:49 pm 

I'm liking the Krylon as well. Did a bunch of searching about camo painting guns, found a lot of forums frequented by hunters and a fair number of decent paint jobs. Seems Krylon gets the most votes for DIY camo. Not as durable as powdercoat but as you say, with a few coats of clear it gets a lot tougher. I find it's always a bit tacky, even after a month or more, but for a few rattle cans and not all that much time I'm not complaining. Maybe the gloss coat dries harder. I've only used the satin finish. Wanted matte, but CT doesn't seem to have it. Just as well i suppose since any matte finish paint I've ever put on a gun part always ends up somewhat shiny from handling anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:01 am 

GerardSamija wrote:
I'm liking the Krylon as well. Did a bunch of searching about camo painting guns, found a lot of forums frequented by hunters and a fair number of decent paint jobs. Seems Krylon gets the most votes for DIY camo. Not as durable as powdercoat but as you say, with a few coats of clear it gets a lot tougher. I find it's always a bit tacky, even after a month or more, but for a few rattle cans and not all that much time I'm not complaining. Maybe the gloss coat dries harder. I've only used the satin finish. Wanted matte, but CT doesn't seem to have it. Just as well i suppose since any matte finish paint I've ever put on a gun part always ends up somewhat shiny from handling anyway.

I leave them sit for 2 weeks to a month to dry, rock hard coating that stays on - my first time i did not leave it long enough and i had to re-do it, really sucked but it payed off in the finished product
I can not find matte clear coat anywhere either - had to use satin but seems to be fine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:08 am 

Wow, that's serious patience you've got! Guess I could try to leave an airgun alone for a month to dry... but shooting them is too tempting! Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can manage to do that some day.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:16 am 

I usually leave them for two weeks
The talon was easy since i did not have parts at the time so i could not shoot it anyways
Would have helped if i let it dry in a dry room instead of a basement closet haha :lol:
If you are patient then it is easy :drinkers:
Will answer any questions i can :D :drinkers:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:24 am 

Have you tried Krylon's 'Stone' texture spray? Takes a long time to dry but can make some nice effects.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:39 am 

GerardSamija wrote:
Have you tried Krylon's 'Stone' texture spray? Takes a long time to dry but can make some nice effects.

Have not
I have only used the good old plain jane krylon
Sounds interesting though - will have to look into it