Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:58 am 

I was told by the manufacturer and dealer that I am not allowed to do anything to my rifle without voiding my warranty. But I would like to adjust the trigger. Also check and lube some of the internal parts that have been recommended as well (trigger mechanism, breech seal, etc)

I was told just by taking my stock off to check everything over that my warranty could have been voided. The trigger isn't awful. But it sure isn't great.

Is it worth it to send it back to d&l for every little thing or should I just go ahead and set things up in a way I'm happy with and hope I never need my warranty?

Cometa lynx .22-hawke sport 3-9x40 ao
Qb 78 .22 (sons)
Crosman 760-tasco 2-7x20
Crosman t4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:26 am 

The trigger will be safe to do, and lube is a part of regular up keep.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:36 am 

DigitalFx33 wrote:
The trigger will be safe to do, and lube is a part of regular up keep.

Nope. It voids the warranty. Clearly written on the owners manual. If I disassemble anything, my warrantee becomes void.

Qb 78 .22 (sons)
Crosman 760-tasco 2-7x20
Crosman t4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:51 am 

Wow that is crazy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:03 am 

It even said adjusting the external trigger adjustment screws COULD void my warranty. Could in warranty terms usually means "depending how we feel that day." But I really would like to tune up the trigger.

Qb 78 .22 (sons)
Crosman 760-tasco 2-7x20
Crosman t4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:03 pm 

I would call the service center for cometa and ask them directly what you can and can't do. Surprised it does not say that shooting could void your warranty.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:09 pm 

On a springer I wouldn't worry, few springers need warranty repairs and if they do it's normally pretty cheap anyway and well within the limits of most owners. On the other hand, I would clarify the situation with the dealer, if they won't let you adjust the trigger on YOUR rifle I would return it and ask them to do it, again, and again, and again, until they get it right how you want it. If they don't want to play ball then return the rifle as unfit for purpose. Then offer to buy it secondhand at a lower price and adjust what you like! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:07 pm 

Here's how I look at it with my stuff: If the gun has an obvious defect then I decide if it's better to return or repair. If it seems like it's ok then I tear it apart for a complete tune. No way I'm using a gun untuned for a year, or at all, so I have little choice. "If" I wanted to do minimal mods like lube and I were concerned about the warranty, I suppose I would do the work being very careful not to mark up the fasteners and such and do the work anyway. If it fails after that I suppose it's up to you if you want to send it back. I seriously doubt they'll notice or even check that is has better lube in it. I believe the rule about touching it is to absolve them of any lawsuits, but who knows. I would also consider what gun it is, Crosman products are generally very cheap to repair, others might be more for the part than a new gun. So for Crosman I'd rather buy a little part, or even a big one than deal with the return. I'm in the US so parts are easy and cheap, for you guys I can't say. Imo the biggest failure items for most cheap guns is poorly cut rifling and blurry or broken scopes. For Crosman add leaking nitro springs. Most guns accuracy can be improved quite a bit with a tune, so I suppose it's up to you if you want to do that first, or get another gun which will also not shoot it's best until tuned. If the scope is bad/breaks the mfg will no doubt request you only return the scope. I've heard people say they've returned only the defective part, like a spring or barrel. Tough decision I suppose, but to me the warranty is one day, it either passes or fails first thing, then I get to work.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:24 pm 

Looking at it from a dealer's point of view, and from that of the manufacturer, it must be a common occurrence to have a product returned from a customer who says it is defective -- and it is defective because that customer messed it up. For example, a person inexperienced with airguns buys an air rifle and adjusts the trigger and screws it up and returns it, saying it had a trigger problem all along. Or an inexperienced person decides that he, too, can easily "tune" a new air rifle and screws it up and sends it back to be repaired under warranty. It is to avoid problems such as these that dealers and manufacturers are loathe to encourage any owner/user work on the gun. I'm not saying that anyone posting here is "screwing up" any airgun, but you can see why dealers and manufacturers are a bit nervous.

When it comes to adjusting a trigger, as a specific case where someone might want to make adjustments, I would think that if the manufacturer put instructions on how to do this in the owner's manual, then it really ought to be okay to do that. On the other hand, there are probably no owner's manuals for springers that give instructions on how to take the rifle apart for a lube tune. The manufacturer should be selling a gun that should shoot at the least at an "adequate" level. Now if you are experienced enough to know what can be done to improve on "adequate" then you shouldn't have to rely on a warranty and should be able to fix up anything that needs fixing up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:00 pm 

I'm trying to recall if I've ever returned an item for warranty repair or replacement... nothing comes to mind. But then I modify practically everything I own, if I don't outright build it myself. So warranty service usually becomes irrelevant within the first day or two of my buying something as I tend to tear it apart to find out how it works. Oh yes, just remembered an exception; I had a string of warranty replaced Pocket PCs back in 2001. I'd spent about $1,500 on an 'industrial' Casio EG-800 waterproof Pocket PC (a PDA, with a CF slot for extra memory, a modem, a camera, an external hard drive adapter, etc, and running an early version of the old Windows Mobile OS) and the touchscreen failed on multiple units. As did the card slot on one. And the waterproofing seals on the various ports started springing open on their own within a month of light use. It wasn't a good model, but I'd invested $1,500 in it and Casio owed me a working computer, so I went through 5 units before the year-long warranty expired. Actually I think they extended it to about 15 months since I was something of a tech journalist in that area at the time. What I said in various forums and reviews mattered to consumers. So yeah, a warranty on something I can't really fix (bad design and/or bad execution) is useful. But an airgun? Nah. If it fails somehow I fix it, usually better than the original. So my attitude is that if it ain't broke, fix it anyway and make it better, and if it's broke, learn how it works and make it better than it was to begin with. And of course let the maker know they're selling junk.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:26 pm 

I'm in the same boat. Warranty means little to me other than a car or laptop. Cost of repair vs shipping to a repair center you often loose if an oring blows is it worth it to ship off? Hardly. Does it group well? If so I say do what you want, if it does not then send it back for a replacement. That is my thinking on it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:11 am 

Well. Screw the waranty then haha. There doesn't seem to be anything g wrong that is negatively affecting performance. Time to really make this gun mine. But I'm not going to dive in head first. This is my first pcp so I'll start with the trigger and go from there.

Qb 78 .22 (sons)
Crosman 760-tasco 2-7x20
Crosman t4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:16 am 

Best way to learn is working on stuff. And thanks to places like this there's no shortage of information and help. Just be sure to empty the reservoir before doing anything which might dump pressure.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:39 am 

GerardSamija wrote:
Best way to learn is working on stuff. And thanks to places like this there's no shortage of information and help. Just be sure to empty the reservoir before doing anything which might dump pressure.

Definitely gotta be safe about it. One thing that has me gun shy (pardon the pun) is reading about stuff not working right after guys tear it down and rebuild it. But like you say,
Trial and error.

Qb 78 .22 (sons)
Crosman 760-tasco 2-7x20
Crosman t4